Special Relativity! (1 Viewer)

heyhsc

HSC
how do i answer this dotpoint?

"Explain qualitatively and quantitatively the consequence of special relativity in relation to:
- Relativity of simultaneity
- Equivalence between mass and energy
- Length contraction
- Time dilation
- Mass dilation

i can only define each of the things listed above.. what qualitative and quantitative explanation do they want? so confused :( please helppppp

dawooddaman

HSC
The relativity of simultaneity
Simultaneity refers to our idea that different things happen at the same time. Einstein’s relativity complicates this simple idea. At speeds approaching that of light, events that are simultaneous in one frame of reference may not be simultaneous in another frame of reference. This is known as relative simultaneity.

[Thought experiment 2]
-A train carriage has light-operated doors. The light is in the middle of the carriage. When the light is switched on, it travels equal distances to each door and opens them at the same time. At least, that’s how someone inside the train sees things happening. The train is at rest relative to this observer, and the two events occur simultaneously.
-However, a person outside the train sees the train moving. When the light is turned on it travels out towards each door, but at the same time, the train moves forwards. So the light reaches the back door sooner than it reaches the front door because the back of the train has moved closer to the light rays approaching it. Hence the back door opens first, and the two events do not occur simultaneously.

The equivalence between mass and energy
The energy-mass equivalence is where energy and mass are equivalent and are interconvertible. Their relationship is quantitatively governed by the equation:

If we apply a force to an object, then work is done on it. This energy would take the form of increased kinetic energy as the object speeds up. But since nothing can move faster than the speed of light, once an object already has sufficient kinetic energy it cannot speed up as we would normally expect. Instead it acquires extra mass.
Relativity results in a new definition of energy as follows:
E = Ek + mc2

Notice that when an object is stationary, it has no kinetic energy, and still has some energy due to its mass. This is called the rest energy.

Note that this equation challenges the law of conservation of energy and the law of conservation of mass, which state that their mass nor energy can be created nor destroyed. Einstein’s equation, which was derived by special relativity, caused a modification to create: The law of conservation of mass and energy: Matter and energy cannot be destroyed or created. They can only be transformed.

Length contraction
Length contraction is when the length of a moving object appears shorter compared to the length of the object when measured at rest.

Length contraction occurs according to the formula:

Length contraction is only observed in the direction of the motion. If observers on Earth watch a spaceship zoom past, they will see the spaceship as shorter than its real length. Similarly the observer inside the moving spaceship will observe the diameter of the Earth as smaller than it really is. The faster an object travels, the shorter it appears to an observer.

Time Dilation
Time in Einstein’s special relativity loses its absolute nature and becomes relative.

Time dilation can be summarized as ‘a moving clock appears to run slower’.

Time dilation is the slowing down of events as observed from a reference frame in relative motion. The time taken for an event to occur within its own rest frame is called the proper time to. Measurements of this time, tv, made from any other inertial reference frame in relative motion to the first, are always grater. The degree of time dilation varies with velocity.

[Thought Experiment 3]
A train is moving to the right at a constant velocity v that is close to the speed of light.
A light source is placed on the floor of the train while a mirror is fixed onto the ceiling. A light beam is emitted at the light source.
Observer A, who is inside the train, will see the light beam going straight up and down. Thus traveled 2d.
On the other hand, Observer B, who is outside the train, will see the light beam traveling forward-upward and then forward-downward. So the light has covered a distance 2d’, with d’ being the hypotenuse. Since d’ > d (from pythag), then the time Observer B measures is always greater than the time Observer A measures.

Time dilation formula:

Mass Dilation
Mass dilation is when the mass of a moving object appears greater compared to the object’s mass at rest.

The mass of an object within its own rest frame is called its rest mass mo. Measurements of this mass mv, made from any other inertial reference frame in relative motion to the first, are always greater. The degree of mass dilation varies with velocity. More simply state as: moving objects gain mass.

Einstein believed very strongly that momentum must be conserved in all inertial frames of reference. In order to solve this dilemma he suggested that the mass of an object must increase, or dilate, at relativistic speed by a factor that compensates for the effect of time dilation on speed measurement.

At speeds approaching light speed, mass increase is exponential in the same way as time and length, approaching infinity at the speed of light. As mass increases so does the force needed to accelerate it. As mass approaches infinity, the force needed to accelerate it further approaches infinity. The consequence of this is that speeds beyond the speed of light are impossible.

Mass dilation formula:

Last edited:

heyhsc

HSC
hey dawooddaman thanks so much for your reply!! sorry i was having technical difficulty with stupid biki but yeah thanks so much!! you ready for friday?

dawooddaman

HSC
hey dawooddaman thanks so much for your reply!! sorry i was having technical difficulty with stupid biki but yeah thanks so much!! you ready for friday?
Hopefully, need to work on Projectile motion, pendulum motion and rearranging complex equations. Kinda did general math =(

heyhsc

HSC
Not sure if this helps, but here's my note for pendulum

1A. Experiment- Determine value for acceleration due to gravity and reasons for variations from 9.8

Pendulum
1. Construct a pendulum at least one metre long, attached at its top to a support (clamp connected to a retort stand)
2. Tie a small mass to its lower end to act as the pendulum bob
3. Measure the length of the pendulum (L), from its point of attachment to the centre of the bob
4. Pull the pendulum aside and release it so it starts swinging
5. Using a stopwatch, start timing at the beginning of the swing and time 10 full swings
6. Divide this time by 10 to get a value for the average period (T)
- This averaging method tends to minimise random errors

7. Substitute L and T into equation to determine g

Reliability- Repeat trials
Variations- can be due to experimental errors or variations of gravity

Experimental errors:
Accuracy of equipment, human reaction time in the use of equipment

Variations of gravity:
• Different density in the Earth’s lithosphere
• Earth’s globe is flattened at the poles -> Distance of the surface from the Earth’s centre is less, g+
• At equator, spin effect is greatest resulting in a lowering g
• Value of g reduces with altitude above the surface of a planet

kiinto

HSC
Mass Dilation
Mass dilation is when the mass of a moving object appears greater compared to the object’s mass at rest.

The mass of an object within its own rest frame is called its rest mass mo. Measurements of this mass mv, made from any other inertial reference frame in relative motion to the first, are always greater. The degree of mass dilation varies with velocity. More simply state as: moving objects gain mass.

Einstein believed very strongly that momentum must be conserved in all inertial frames of reference. In order to solve this dilemma he suggested that the mass of an object must increase, or dilate, at relativistic speed by a factor that compensates for the effect of time dilation on speed measurement.

At speeds approaching light speed, mass increase is exponential in the same way as time and length, approaching infinity at the speed of light. As mass increases so does the force needed to accelerate it. As mass approaches infinity, the force needed to accelerate it further approaches infinity. The consequence of this is that speeds beyond the speed of light are impossible.

Mass dilation formula:
Can you expand on this?

dawooddaman

HSC
Thank you, heyhsc I didn't except anything in return :) you’re too kind

kiinto: Sorry meant to say length contraction, e.g. as length gets smaller and smaller your mass concentrates at a single point, but dw about this point to much not needed.

kiinto

HSC
kiinto: Sorry meant to say length contraction, e.g. as length gets smaller and smaller your mass concentrates at a single point, but dw about this point to much not needed.
This doesn't connote an increase in mass though. Just an increase in density?

I tried googling about, and the answer is generally 'Just cus bro'.

If I were to take a stab in the dark, I'd say that it has something to do with applied energy v.s. kinetic energy/momentum.
Something like:
Ek = 1/2mv^2 OR P = mv
But, v cannot exceed c.
Therefore m must increase, if energy/momentum is applied, as energy/momentum cannot be destroyed.

dawooddaman

HSC
This doesn't connote an increase in mass though. Just an increase in density?

I tried googling about, and the answer is generally 'Just cus bro'.

If I were to take a stab in the dark, I'd say that it has something to do with applied energy v.s. kinetic energy/momentum.
Something like:
Ek = 1/2mv^2 OR P = mv
But, v cannot exceed c.
Therefore m must increase, if energy/momentum is applied, as energy/momentum cannot be destroyed.
Yep something like that, but now I’m super confused myself have no idea why I put that in, but don't waste your time on it, I guarantee that it would NOT show up in this year’s HSC :)

Last edited:

kiinto

HSC
Yep something like that, but now I’m super confused myself have no idea why I put that in, but don't waste your time on it, I guarantee that it would show up in this year’s HSC :)
oshit.

Haha. You're probably right, but I'd still like to know, and I don't have a physics teacher to ask anymore, at least not for a while.

dawooddaman

HSC
oshit.

Haha. You're probably right, but I'd still like to know, and I don't have a physics teacher to ask anymore, at least not for a while.
LOL I'm so out of it right now, I meant would NOT

Sorry I have no idea whats up today

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)