SPEECHES. Should i know them all??? (1 Viewer)

mikey11

HSC
i know we r sposed 2 know them all but they have only specified once in the past so what should i do? learning all of them will be a total waste of time most likely when i could be studyin other stuff but if they do specify i wll be set. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......................... what do u others think

p.s speeches is such a ShIt UnIt

OnizuNeko

HSC
My English teacher summed it up pretty well. If they do ask for one specific its going to be pretty generic cause they cant put everyone at a disadvantage by choosing something like Pearson. So as long as you know the major ones like King, Socrates wateva you should be fine

rach_1

HSC
i hate speeches as well. i only know 3. im still bad at them though. the one they put in the past was lincoln's speech so hopefully they won't choose that one since its already been done. i dont want to waste my time studying speeches that wont be in it. im prob just gonna lear bout 4-5 really well and just briefly know the others. ahhhhh i hate this....

poodoorfan

fhiurhguwe

OMG 4-5???? how do have time to learn 4-5 of those shitty speeches really well?????? i know 2 really welll 1 sort of but i would definately struggle to learn more than that and having to remember it how they expect you too it's just far to much to know for one exam.

MeehShanku

MeehShankU
HSC
Damn!!!! I feel for u speech ppl. I thought i had it bad with 6 poems from Harwood but freakin 10 speeches, thats way to much. In fact its BS!!!!!

fantasy27

HSC
N/A
MeehShanku said:
Damn!!!! I feel for u speech ppl. I thought i had it bad with 6 poems from Harwood but freakin 10 speeches, thats way to much. In fact its BS!!!!!
lol we actually have 12 speeches, but anyway, we were told to have our favourites (2-3) and then have a brief idea of the rest.

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
mikey11 said:
i know we r sposed 2 know them all but they have only specified once in the past so what should i do? learning all of them will be a total waste of time most likely when i could be studyin other stuff but if they do specify i wll be set. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......................... what do u others think
lol routy wont be happy hearing you say that michael, you know he will be yelling at us "i told you to be prepared" if they specify.

my advice would be to know three really good, but have a general idea on the others, enough to answer a question on them even if only briefly in case they specify.

OnizuNeko said:
If they do ask for one specific its going to be pretty generic cause they cant put everyone at a disadvantage by choosing something like Pearson
how would people be put at a disadvantage by choosing pearson?? only advance does this module, and we are expected to learn all of them throughout the course. i dont think pearson is a particularly difficult speech anyway, from my understanding, students would be in more trouble with something like atwood

evette13

HSC
Guys, lincoln wont be specified again...i wouldnt bother learning him if i were u
Otherwise, i agree that atwood and cicero would be the worst- atwood isnt even a proper speech lol
And just basically know the techniques used in each one- if u forget the quotes for the specified speech, just make it up!

OnizuNeko

HSC
Born Dancer said:
how would people be put at a disadvantage by choosing pearson?? only advance does this module, and we are expected to learn all of them throughout the course. i dont think pearson is a particularly difficult speech anyway, from my understanding, students would be in more trouble with something like atwood
what i mean is that Pearsons speech isnt one of those more commonly studied speeches and thus would be something overlooked by alot of students. They'd pick something with more substance to it but one that everyone has done.

Abbeygale

HSC
Why does everyone always bring up Atwood as the horror speech they could specify? I find her speech really easy, and intend to use her if they don't specify.

I'm really beginning to hope that they specify, and that they specify something really obscure. Since I appear to be one of the few people who have actually studied all the speeches, I would be at a huge advantage in that situation.

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
OnizuNeko said:
what i mean is that Pearsons speech isnt one of those more commonly studied speeches and thus would be something overlooked by alot of students. They'd pick something with more substance to it but one that everyone has done.
what do you mean more commonly studied, we are expected to have learnt all of them!!!

ElGronko

Not premium
HSC
Bahahahahahahaha @ this thread.

qwned bitches.

fat_penguin

HSC
i heard they specified suu kyi a couple of years back.. and they haven't specified in a while - like we were so sure they were gonna specify in our year, but they didn't - i dunno whether that heightens your chances.. =/

but anyway, my teacher said one of her students learnt a selection of speeches - from a range of contexts, and with different themes etc etc

but yeah i was very paranoid, so if you're like me, you can learn a couple of speeches really well, and just learn points for the rest and expand on them when you're in there.. at least you'll have something to write about then :)

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
fat_penguin said:
i heard they specified suu kyi a couple of years back.. and they haven't specified in a while - like we were so sure they were gonna specify in our year, but they didn't - i dunno whether that heightens your chances.. =/

but anyway, my teacher said one of her students learnt a selection of speeches - from a range of contexts, and with different themes etc etc

but yeah i was very paranoid, so if you're like me, you can learn a couple of speeches really well, and just learn points for the rest and expand on them when you're in there.. at least you'll have something to write about then :)
i agree wholeheartedly. its ideal to learn a couple of speeches really really well (i did Socrates, King, Goldman, Havel and Lincoln, and to a certain extent McAleese) and know the others by way of issues, techniques, relevance to our society today, and a couple of good quotes.

i strongly suggest that you learn at least 1 'hard' speech really really well. the 'hard' ones are: cicero, atwood, pearson, suu kyi, mcaleese. not many people will learn these, so u might say u get an 'edge' if you learn these and use them in exams.

a general rule of thumb is learn: 1 historical, 1 commemorative, 1 feminist, 1 racist, 1 of other choosing. this is a really nice 'net' that would cover any 'general' question they throw at you. that is, unless it specifically said to refer to speech X.

i have to admit we had this gigantic fear in 2005 that the HSC WILL specify to refer to a speech, or a range of speeches. so the smart people pretty much learnt all the speeches. some people took a punt and only learnt a few, but really well. in the HSC 2005, NONE WHERE SPECIFIED. u could refer to any speech.

BUT this year, this year...my prediction is that this is THE year, one of those fated years that they WILL ASK. So beware! take care! Better to be safe than sorry! Give yourself a safety net!

fernando

Poo
HSC
N/A
I'm doing speeches too, you should have a general knowledge about everything. In the HSC paper they MIGHT ask you to relate your speeches to a specific speech thingy. So yeah it's best to know a couple of strong quotes, techniques and have a brief knowledge of the context involved. Good luck! Cuz i know i'll need it!

Bractune

HSC
Hmmm... My teacher made us write a page of notes on the ones we're not studing as focus speeches, and 3 page analysis on the ones we were. Yeah it was a pain the ass but better to be safe then sorry. At least if a question that specifys comes up i'll know the idea and a couple brief quotes on each.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)