SRC Election Results 2005 - the Post-Mortem (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lbft

Geek
HSC
Andrew, you seem a little confused - the SRC is by its very nature political. The Union is the one which has the capacity to be apolitical (but, since student politicians are the ones who get elected, it will never be apolitical.)

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
withoutaface said:
I wonder if I assasinated Barnaby Joyce if the new parliament would grant me a pardon...
Kill barnaby and the Coalition will loose its senate majority ;)

(As his replacement would be appointed by the LABOR controlled parliament of Queensland)

Argh f*ck all those Stop VSU people. Idiots.

melbournian

mexian expat
HSC
Rafy said:
Kill barnaby and the Coalition will loose its senate majority ;)

(As his replacement would be appointed by the LABOR controlled parliament of Queensland)

Argh f*ck all those Stop VSU people. Idiots.
Um, mate you are actually quite wrong.

1977 Referendum changed that, in order to prevent another 1975

From the amended Section 15 of the Australian Constitution
Where a vacancy has at any time occurred in the place of a
senator chosen by the people of a State and, at the time when
he was so chosen, he was publicly recognized by a particular
political party as being an endorsed candidate of that party
and publicly represented himself to be such a candidate, a
person chosen or appointed under this section in consequence
of that vacancy, or in consequence of that vacancy and a
subsequent vacancy or vacancies, shall, unless there is no
member of that party available to be chosen or appointed, be a
member of that party.
Talk about a long sentance ;)

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
lbft said:
Andrew, you seem a little confused - the SRC is by its very nature political. The Union is the one which has the capacity to be apolitical (but, since student politicians are the ones who get elected, it will never be apolitical.)
While our representatives are almost inevitably going to have a political leaning, that doesn't mean the SRC as a whole must become a political organisation. The SRC has the potential to be a truly representative organisation, if it became non-partisan. I believe that politics is NOT an inherant part of representation, and that student issues are not necessarily partisan (or at least, not Left/Right partisan).

My leadership model for the SRC is based on the premise that "Representation" (in the context of SRC) means advocating student beliefs and interests at the university level. Do we really believe that our SRC's official stance on the War on Iraq, Child support legislation, Falun Gong are appropriate? The SRC shouldn't even be touching such issues, much less advocating them.

It is essential that students from all sides of politics come together to rethink the function and structure of the SRC. I've already proposed several options, including the possibility of proportional representation. But the ESSENTIAL thing is that our representatives acknowledge that students no longer support the work of the SRC. Only when they acknowledge that the status quo is not acceptable, can we fix the SRC.

lbft

Geek
HSC
Again, you're confused - just because you do not support the SRC does not mean everyone does not support the SRC.

Face facts: if people supported you, they would have voted for you. They didn't (even though you pretended that your campaign was based on something more than the Conservatorium, at least at main campus...)

walrusbear

HSC
no one is buying your 'apolitical' shit too

that stance doesn't exist; everything is political

myg0t

myg0t
HSC
melbournian said:
Um, mate you are actually quite wrong.

1977 Referendum changed that, in order to prevent another 1975

From the amended Section 15 of the Australian Constitution

Talk about a long sentance ;)

you have far to much time on your hands..

gerhard

HSC
Quah, you delusional muppet - everyone disagrees with you. You are not correct. Ever.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
If you absolutley must, can we please take the Quah bashing to PMs?

I want to know what you (NOT Andrew as he has already made his stance clear) think about a NOLS backed SRC.

In case you don't know what the NOLS is, its the National Labor Organisation of Students and the Action ticket is sponsored by them. They have held power in the SRC for 6 years.

What do you think? Will these representatives listen to your stances on VSU or will they pursue their own agenda?

lbft

Geek
HSC
I can very much deal with a NOLS SRC - they've done well for the past few years (with a couple of minor exceptions.)

gerhard

HSC
I dont think NOLS will listen to differing voices on VSU, and should they, really? They had a pretty clear NO VSU platform and people voted for them. NOLS isnt really pursuing their own agenda, Id say most of the people voting for them know their agenda.

The only way I can see NOLS not winning in the near future is if labor right put forward a candidate. I hope they do sometime, because that will actually make the election interesting.

lbft

Geek
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
EXAGERATING MORON ALERT
Heaven forbid I should find out about previous SRCs even though they were about before I started...

OK, I'll revise my statement:

I can very much deal with a NOLS SRC - they've done well for the 2 years I've been at usyd, and from what I've read, seen and heard, did well before then, too (with a couple of minor exceptions.)

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
A NOLS dominated SRC holds protests against the prosecution of people of whom there is video and photograpic evidence of their attacking police. You'd think they'd try to distance themselves from the crazies, but by protesting like this they're just showing that this kind of violence is acceptable among the left. If these are the types of fuckwits you want running your SRC I'd suggest you take a good hard look at yourself.

walrusbear

HSC
Calculon said:
A NOLS dominated SRC holds protests against the prosecution of people of whom there is video and photograpic evidence of their attacking police. You'd think they'd try to distance themselves from the crazies, but by protesting like this they're just showing that this kind of violence is acceptable among the left. If these are the types of fuckwits you want running your SRC I'd suggest you take a good hard look at yourself.
that's a little melodramatic, isn't it?

Calculon

HSC
N/A
walrusbear said:
that's a little melodramatic, isn't it?
How am I being melodramatic? They did attack cops. There is solid evidence. The left continues to persist that these people are being trialled for holding "alternative" views. These are the facts, and it is absolutely disgusting that they try to justify such actions.

lbft

Geek
HSC
And what sort of SRC would you prefer, Calculon? A CHOICE one, perchance, that promises Howard-style bribes based on stupid principles?

I do like the Greens but I also like that NOLS has a habit of actually getting things done rather than jumping up and down on the spot about it.

Calculon

HSC
N/A
lbft said:
And what sort of SRC would you prefer, Calculon? A CHOICE one, perchance, that promises Howard-style bribes based on stupid principles?

I do like the Greens but I also like that NOLS has a habit of actually getting things done rather than jumping up and down on the spot about it.
It's these "stupid principles" that delivered you the beautiful country you see today. Individual freedom should be held paramount, and the aims of the choice campaign were based upon this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)