St. Andrew's, St. John's, or Wesley? And Why? (USYD Residential Colleges) (1 Viewer)

rosemcc

HSC
Hi! Looking for some personal input about which college would be right for me (if I figure out how to afford it).
Which is best for partying?
For help with academics?
General stuff/atmosphere?
Thanks!

izzy88

HSC
A bit difficult without knowing anything about you - but any particular reason you are not interested in Womens? (or Sancta?) (is it the lack of boys?) :p

All the colleges have some form of party culture - some just more than others. Drews has a bar on site, which can make things very fun for parties, but if you want a break, it can be more difficult to escape. Drews is also traditionally one of the best colleges at sport, so if you are an athlete of some sort, that could suit.

I don't know as much about Johns or Wesley. I went to Women's and I loved it. It's good in that there is quite a bit of academic support (tutorials are offered in subject as long as there are min 3 students wanting to do it), and there is a good culture - you can party (particularly going to the Pauls college bar), or can stay in if you want - depends what you are interested in. There are also quite a few joint activities between Pauls and Women's.

rosemcc

HSC
A bit difficult without knowing anything about you - but any particular reason you are not interested in Womens? (or Sancta?) (is it the lack of boys?) :p

All the colleges have some form of party culture - some just more than others. Drews has a bar on site, which can make things very fun for parties, but if you want a break, it can be more difficult to escape. Drews is also traditionally one of the best colleges at sport, so if you are an athlete of some sort, that could suit.

I don't know as much about Johns or Wesley. I went to Women's and I loved it. It's good in that there is quite a bit of academic support (tutorials are offered in subject as long as there are min 3 students wanting to do it), and there is a good culture - you can party (particularly going to the Pauls college bar), or can stay in if you want - depends what you are interested in. There are also quite a few joint activities between Pauls and Women's.
I'd honestly probably be fine with women's or sancta but I've just spent the last 6 years at an all-girls school so I'm a little bit sick of it
Women's actually doesn't sound too bad.
I'm pretty serious academically - I'm aiming to get all credits, but preferably distinctions in all my subjects. I'm not huge on sport - I played softball and ran track in high school but not very seriously.
I think partying is fun but I definitely wouldn't want to go out every night of the week, so I'd have to escape it sometimes. From what I can hear about Johns, some of the people seem to be somewhat sexist so I'm leaning away from there.
I like to sing and would try to be in the college's choir wherever I choose as well.
Thanks for the input I think I've narrowed it down to maybe Wes and Women's.

KittyLuv

HSC
I'm in the same dilemma though I still have 2 years left to decide >.<
I've heard some bad publicity at St. Johns especially in bullying freshers...
I've been at all girls school for all of high school but I'm open to any college really~
I get high grades, want to participate in netball and maybe something musical like choir
Which would suit me ???
(didn't want to start another thread :p)

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm in the same dilemma though I still have 2 years left to decide >.<
I've heard some bad publicity at St. Johns especially in bullying freshers...
I've been at all girls school for all of high school but I'm open to any college really~
I get high grades, want to participate in netball and maybe something musical like choir
Which would suit me ???
(didn't want to start another thread :p)
Hello,
You should have felt free to start your own thread instead of reviving this one :)

You have plenty of time left to decide! I'd suggest when you are coming up closer to college age, you attend the open days and tour the colleges, ask current students opinions etc. Also I suggest when applying, that you apply to maybe your favourite 3, as with applications sometimes each college looks for something a bit different and you don't want to leave all the eggs in one basket (cause some years, one college might have a really small fresher intake due to more people staying on etc.) Netball and choir will go down great, because colleges love sporting/arts attributes because of the Rosebowl (intercollegiate sportswomen's cup) and the Palladium (intercollegiate arts cup). If you are really into choir, Women's and Paul's have a joint well renowned chapel choir, but all the colleges have strong netball teams and musical opportunities, either singually through college shows, choir etc. or through activities such as the Intercollegiate Musical etc.

I currently attend a USYD college and am happy to answer any questions :)

KittyLuv

HSC
If I'm torn from going to UNSW or USyd and depending on my marks etc... but I still want to live on campus, do I wait until my marks come out or do I apply to few of the colleges from unsw and usyd beforehand? I heard there's this registration fee... so is that paid once I get in the college or when I apply for college?

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
If I'm torn from going to UNSW or USyd and depending on my marks etc... but I still want to live on campus, do I wait until my marks come out or do I apply to few of the colleges from unsw and usyd beforehand? I heard there's this registration fee... so is that paid once I get in the college or when I apply for college?
There's an application fee so decide which one you want to go to as your number 1 pick and yeah, it's sort of a risk management sort of thing.

moocow920

HSC
I am not entirely sure but I think that usually theres an application fee, then if you get an offer, an acceptance fee and a deposit. The deposit is refundable if you don't get into the university the college is based at, but the application and acceptance fees are not

KittyLuv

HSC
then would I be too late to apply after I know what uni I'm going to?? This is too hard >.< application fees are like $100+ so applying for different ones from different unis would be $$$ gone without I guarantee of me going or making it in!!!

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
No apply for a UNSW and USYD one then before marks. I applied UMELB/UNSW/USYD/ANU because I wasn't sure where I wanted to go. The rego fee for UNSW colleges is very small, USYD ones can be somewhat more exorbitant so it's a risk management strategy.

There's an application fee so decide which one you want to go to as your number 1 pick and yeah, it's sort of a risk management sort of thing.
You don't preference USYD colleges. You apply individually. It's not like UMELB with preferencing, one fee and then your application circled in the pool if you aren't successful at your first choice.

Basically though in the interview, they will ask you if you have applied to other USYD colleges, just always say the one you are speaking with at the time is your top preference and why :p

I am not entirely sure but I think that usually theres an application fee, then if you get an offer, an acceptance fee and a deposit. The deposit is refundable if you don't get into the university the college is based at, but the application and acceptance fees are not
Yeah app fees aren't refundable as they are 'administrative'.

then would I be too late to apply after I know what uni I'm going to?? This is too hard >.< application fees are like $100+ so applying for different ones from different unis would be $$$ gone without I guarantee of me going or making it in!!!
Yes, because colleges (especially USYD/UNSW which you are looking at going to) are extremely competitive, especially USYD. There are a lot of applications for what is essentially 1000 places between all the colleges.

App fees are normally cheaper at UNSW, USYD varies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)