Stage 5 Open High School French (1 Viewer)

Schoey93

HSC
Bonjour tout le monde!:wave: Je m'appelle James. Next year I'm doing French through Open High School for Year 9 and then for Year 10 as well. So, I know what the process is like (study is supervised in the library and work sent off to the Open High School for marking once completed - every week, then sent back), but could anyone please tell me if they have studied or are studying French by distance education and what their feelings are about it? Thanks. :)

HSC
Hey,
I am doing the HSC now, with French Continuers, studied through the Open High School. I have found, from personal experience, and talking to others in my class, that it doesn't really matter how motivated you are to do the subject, it really depends on your location and how your school assists you.

I live in Newcastle, and, being so far away from Sydney (I mean that it wasn't simply a matter of me changing suburbs to get to Randwick), that I was at a disadvantage to Sydney school students. I found that students living in Sydney were presented with more opportunities to attend the school for one-on-one lessons with their teachers, whereas I was invited to the class lesson once or twice a term, with everyone else. I, for one reason or another, was unable to attend a couple of these lessons, but, as I had a good teacher, who I talked to on the phone weekly (you arrange a set time with them), sent me what was done at these lessons, and I went down to the school three times, on my own, and had a one-on-one lesson with my teacher.

That's location, now I'll explain the school part of it.

It is a requirement that your school gives you access at school to a phone, CD/Cassette player, DVD player, a place to do the work and supervised timetabled lessons. If all of this is given to you, and you have a supervising teacher who knows/will help you with the language, then you are fine, and will do well. Unfortunately, my school, and quite a few others, made you arrange everything yourself; ie. timetable your own lessons and complete the set amount of work in that time, arrange your own classroom or area in the library, arrange access to a phone/CD/Cassette player/DVD player. Also, apparently a lot of the students, myself included, didn't have a supervising teacher. On paper, we did, but all they did was take work that had been sent back to us out of the envelope and laid it out, or sent away work we had done, (which you had to package.)

Last year, there were 150 students in my class. This year, there is 63. That shows you how difficult the course is, especially a language course, when you don't have the proper resources available to you. And, also, on average, your marks will drop, if you don't have these resources at your disposal.

I am not trying to scare you off doing the course, and I wish you the best of luck, but I think you need to know what can happen.

Best of luck to you.

bleu

HSC
Hi there,
I've done French Beginners with the Open High School for Yr 11 and am continuing with it for Yr 12. i live in Newcastle, like the above, but find that this doesn't, at least not yet, affect me. And i did really well in yr 11 because i kept in touch with my teacher a lot, kept up with the work and really enjoy the subject.

I don't quite agree with the above on the motivation point. If you really enjoy the subject you're doing and are passionate about you WILL be motivated. i think that a bit of 'passion' is the key. So long as you have this, and work hard you should do great. I few things i've found good keep in mind are:

1.Phone your teaher once or more a week - they are so willing to help and will send some extra work to you if you want to revise something. Never hesitate to ring and ask questions, even about the smallest detail.

2. At the start, all my work was really easy so i worked hard and got ahead in the course very quickly. If you can, try and do that, you'll thank yourself afterwards.

3. If you go to randwick for an actual group lesson keep in touch with fellow OHS classmates, and practice your french with them.

Living close to the Open Highschool does make it easier, but if you don't there's no need to worry. There are plenty of resources out there - on the internet, french radio and television programs, library study books etc. If you really want do well you will.

Yeah, anyways, this is becoming rather long...lol

Bonne chance avec le francais mon ami!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)