Standard / Advanced - What the difference? (1 Viewer)

Piddlepot

Ok, i just read that the scaling for adv and standard are the same. So why stay in advanced for?

Hyperthetical - I am a slightly underachieving advanced english student, would it be worth dropping?

juggernaut

HSC
They dont scale "equally" as such, because they look at how the candidature perform in the common paper and do things from there... im sure laz can fill you in on how it works

Adv. english is quite difficult.. the texts in std are alot simpler, and your not demanded so much in terms of 'perfect' essays and stuff

saying that, however, id recommend doing adv english, and just working alot harder.. maybe consider getting a tutor... doing adv will pay off in the long run

Fire_Hydra

ain't no other
HSC
i agree - i have friends in standard.....they do simpler texts and half the time alot of the work is done for them in the way of summeries etc (at least that's the way the cookie crumbles at our school).....and they don't get to do shakespeare........where's the fun in that?

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
i dont think the difficulty of the texts is the problem but the expectations varies greatly

ally15

Beep.
HSC
i rekon standard is a simplified way of doin advanced, if that makes sense....
there really is no point in doin adv if ur gonna take it as a vegie subject coz they demand alot of work

Fire_Hydra

ain't no other
HSC
True adv expects more...but i'd much rather be challenged in the classroom than sit there flyin through the work, being bored and waiting for my brain to turn to mush............so if u have the oppitunity to do adv..i say........do it.

but i can't talk - i'm a sucker for punishment - i do 4unit.:rolleyes:

Whizkid

HSC
hehe...advanced is more fun than standard...but...
wouldn't it also be that ...if you do advanced...pplz will think that you are a pretty high achiever in English to a certain extent??
but it is true that the harder ur subject is and the better marks u get in it....you get scaled higher...because standard english is easier...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)