Standard or advanced maths? (1 Viewer)

Scryne

HSC
In year 10 right now transitioning into year 11. I completed the 5.1-2 course but did not attempt or study the 5.3 course. I was recommended and allocated to be in a maths standard class for year 11-12 but since I picked maths advanced in my subject selection, I was given it. My marks were decent (around 75% in every test except the half yearly which was 55%). I am unsure if I should continue into maths advanced or change to standard.

funnytomato

HSC
Some schools offer revision / catch up lessons for situation like this. Or at least make sure that you can catch up on the topics you missed.

yolo tengo

mitsuya's fanboy
HSC
lol this was my situation but instead i was told to do 2u as 3u wasn’t recommended for me back in year 10, just try adv math out and see if you like it or not

Scryne

HSC
Some schools offer revision / catch up lessons for situation like this. Or at least make sure that you can catch up on the topics you missed.
Will it be a big issue for me if I only end up catching up on, let’s say, 50% of the topics? or
even less?

Susu123

HSC
Yeah I’ll probably do this.
just go through the syllabus in the holidays as well for both adv and std and know what u will have to be able to do in 3 terms time and see if you think you can do it (if you think you can't just know that everything thinks that, but once you actually learn it and do practice questions it becomes very easy)

xoNat

don't worry, be happy
HSC
Will it be a big issue for me if I only end up catching up on, let’s say, 50% of the topics? or
even less?
It will likely be an issue if you don't catch up on the 5.3 topics needed in advanced maths as you don't want to be playing catch up while learning new content. Usually schools don't go through them again and it's expected knowledge. Seconding what @Susu123 said you should go through the advanced syllabus and see what you need to know. E.G in advanced maths they assume you learned how to factorise quadratic equations in stage 5 and you're already at a disadvantage if you didn't learn it.

But, I personally know people who have done 5.2 succeeding in the advanced course and if you put the required effort in you'll do fine.

C_master

HSC
In year 10 right now transitioning into year 11. I completed the 5.1-2 course but did not attempt or study the 5.3 course. I was recommended and allocated to be in a maths standard class for year 11-12 but since I picked maths advanced in my subject selection, I was given it. My marks were decent (around 75% in every test except the half yearly which was 55%). I am unsure if I should continue into maths advanced or change to standard.
Better if you try advanced to have a real feel of where your at

WeiWeiMan

HSC
You probably went ahead as you previously stated long ago so ofc u were fine
I was pretty bad at the yr9/10 stuff when I started prelim so carrotsss might not necessarily be an
exception.

even less?
Ngl I doubt that’ll happen

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)