starting mechanics (1 Viewer)

kony

HSC
do you guys think it is a good idea to study and get familiar with the 2 and 3 unit topics of "applications of calculus to the physical world" topics before starting mechanics? i started by looking at cambridge and terry lee, but i could understand neither.

also, any hints? tips?

i'm starting this early because they always seem to have hard looking mechanics questions towards the end.

Lurking.death

HSC
Yes, most definately. Start from 2Unit apps of calculus to physics and work your way up. Most importantly focus on the rectilinnear and projectile motion. These will be in the mechanics chapter.

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
For sure - "applications of calculus to the physical world" is a fundamental topic which will get you used to the idea of using calculus to describe an object's motion (kinematics). For example, if you differentiate an object's position with respect to time, you will obtain an expression for velocity, likewise differentiate the velocity to obtain acceleration. Integrating does the opposite - eg integrate acceleration to get velocity.

But are you sure that your teacher is starting 4unit mechanics before covering the 2unit and 3unit "applications" topic? It seems absurd that they would do that because you would end up having to understand the 3unit work first anyway before doing the 4unit problems. If you are just worried because you see mechanics as the next chapter in your text book, don't be, because when I did 4u we didn't follow the order of the textbook so it is likely that you won't either.

Mechanics in 4u pretty much builds on this kinematics with more difficult problems, and also introduces dynamics (describing the forces which cause motion). This part can be a bit difficult especially if you don't do physics, because it is such a different way of looking at things.

By the way, the 4unit mechanics topic is essentially the same stuff you do in first year physics at uni - so if you love it, then perhaps you'd enjoy an engineering or a science degree :)

However, if you are feeling motivated, by all means get a head start by doing some of the work now but don't get stressed out if you can't. After all, it is only the beginning of the holidays...

Good luck and enjoy your easter break!

Last edited:

ssglain

HSC
Shouldn't take you long to finish 2U/Ext-1 app of calc in the physiscal world. I think that topic also includes rates of change and exp growth/decay so there's not very much on motion to begin with. If you try not to simulataneously have an X-files marathon like I shamefully had, it'll take you maybe 2-3 hrs. Then you can fly your trajectory into Ext-2 mechanics.

ianc said:
Mechanics in 4u pretty much builds on this kinematics with more difficult problems, and also introduces dynamics (describing the forces which cause motion). This part can be a bit difficult especially if you don't do physics, because it is such a different way of looking at things.
I'm doomed. Darn. This is about the time that I start to refrain myself from ranting about my silly school.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)