STAT Test - Best to study myself, or do a course? (1 Viewer)

How should I study for the STAT Test?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HyZaret

HSC
N/A
Greetings & Salutations to all!

My name is Hy Zaret. I'm 17 years old. I've studied Information Technology (Networking) at TAFE. I also have quite some months experience working on an IT HelpDesk.

Basically, I'm trying to gain access to University. The reason for this is that it seems, that to be successful as an employee within the IT Industry, one either needs a lot of experience, or a degree... so I've decided the latter! :sun:

So I've ordered, and received the practice materials for the STAT test. Although I haven't had a chance to study them yet...

Would it be best to do a preparation course (one of those 1 day courses, that cost anywhere from $88-$300), or just study the practice materials on my own?

{or both?} :confused:

If you would recommend me doing a course, could you please recommend where?

(I live in Sydney, Australia)

Thank you,

Hy Zaret

BTW: What are your thoughts on TAFE PLUS, and WEASydney?

Last edited:

moc2009

HSC
N/A
I did the STAT test last year so I could get into Uni (I had done school in Australia and overseas so didn’t have a UAI).

I’d recommend doing the 1 day course, and also doing both STAT tests (Multiple choice and the Written English one), while most Uni’s only need the Multiple choice, some also prefer you to have done the Written English.

I found the 1 day course useful for time management and how to work out the test as on the day you have a lot to do, I had to do the Multiple choice one (75 questions) and then an hour break and go back and do the Written English (ANU requires you also do the Written English STAT so I had to do it), which was write two essays in just over 1 hour on topics that you only see there and then when you get the question.

If I had not done the 1 day course there is no way I would have been able to write two essays in 1 hour, so it really helped.

I don’t think you need the 1 day course for the multiple choice, but it helps a bit I guess... but otherwise the multiple choice was straight forward... the go through some of the weird question with you and explain what exactly they are looking for.

Also, with the STAT test check with the Uni you want as not all accept it and some only accept it if you are over 21.

Oh and in General the STAT is really really easy, I got a really high score and got my first preference for Uni.

I did the one day course at WEASydney, near town hall.

If you need any more info just pm me

Good luck.

Last edited:

HyZaret

HSC
N/A
Thanks, your reply was very informative.

I'll be going to the Open Days, so I'll find out then how valuable the STAT test is for one under 21.

*sends a PM*

In the meantime, could everyone please participate in the poll?

Thank you,

Hy Zaret

HyZaret

HSC
N/A
Okay, I've now applied for the WEASydney course.

Thanks for your advice

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
do nothing.

It's an aptitude and intelligence test, it does not go off a curriculum.

HyZaret

HSC
N/A
Thanks, but at the time of writing your post, I had already enrolled! :eek:

Well, the course is today. Should be interesting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)