stat test (1 Viewer)

keropi

HSC
N/A
hey
i am in this years current year 12 and i was wondering what the stat test is like?..is it hard?...does anybody remember the prompts they had to respond to in the written stat exam....thanks

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
Hi.

Go to the ACER website - http://www.acer.edu.au/tests/university/stat/supportmaterials.html. You can order sample papers from there. I don't think it was too pricey.

I took the STAT Multiple Choice (you don't have to take the written test if you take the multiple choice) test last year. Its two main components are comprehension and statistics. The difficulty depends on your own skills. I was more of a math person and therefore had no trouble with the mathematical sections.

You may also enrol in a STAT preparation course at the WEA. Go here for more information on preparation courses - http://www.uac.edu.au/pdf/wea.pdf.

Good luck.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
keropi said:
hey
i am in this years current year 12 and i was wondering what the stat test is like?..is it hard?...does anybody remember the prompts they had to respond to in the written stat exam....thanks
I don't think you should really worry too much about the STAT, just read over the booklets they send you and and you should be fine - its not something you can really prepare for anyways.

The comprehension components are relatively simple in the STAT, they give you all of the information on the sheet that you need so you shouldn't really have a problem with it.

For the written component though there are two half an hour essays with one question focusing on personal/familial values and the other on societal and cultural values. My questions were about how our heroes influence our personal image, and the other was on australian heritage. To be honest, I just plugged in some ideas from year 10 community studies and extension 1 english, it wasn't that difficult - and I ended up getting 100 for my RET and ended up in 99.8th percentile for the STAT as a whole so I must have had the right idea.

Dreamerish said:
(you don't have to take the written test if you take the multiple choice)
I think thats ony if you are using it for USYD B Pharmacy, if you are using it for mature aged entry or for the RET then you must sit both the written component and the multiple choice.

keropi

HSC
N/A
does anybody know when you can start taking the stat test this year?

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
keropi said:
does anybody know when you can start taking the stat test this year?
According to the 2006 UAC Guide, the test could have been taken as early as September 2005, and as late as January of 2006. I assume it will be the same or similar this year.

The workshop at the WEA is in September, so some people decide to take the test while the contents of the workshop is still fresh in their minds. I took mine two days after my HSC exams finished, I didn't want to think about anything else during the HSC.

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
Personally I think that the STAT test is a waste of time and money.
But its up to you if you wanna do it or not.
I thought it would help but I didn't end up needing it anyway.
I got 59 in the STAT test in comparision to a 95.75 UAI... big difference

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
goan_crazy said:
Anything that can help you get entry into the course you want is worth it. By sitting the test I got 100 in the RET and in the 99.8th percentile for STAT so if I had chosen to go to UWS I could have done any course they had on offer so long as my UAI hit the 80 mark. Sitting a test for a couple of hours and risking a low score is definitely worth it for the doors it can open and the security it can grant. Its arguably also better for many since it tests general skills, not specific knowledge.

frootloop

HSC
kami said:
Anything that can help you get entry into the course you want is worth it. By sitting the test I got 100 in the RET and in the 99.8th percentile for STAT so if I had chosen to go to UWS I could have done any course they had on offer so long as my UAI hit the 80 mark. Sitting a test for a couple of hours and risking a low score is definitely worth it for the doors it can open and the security it can grant. Its arguably also better for many since it tests general skills, not specific knowledge.
HOLY SHIT you did well in RET and STAT!

Raginsheep

HSC
Pretty easy. I left with 15mins to go and still got enough for pharm although I'm surprised that I did better in the listening component rather than the numeracy. Familarise yourself with the questions they send to you but no need to worry about it like the HSC.

keropi

HSC
N/A
Dreamerish*~ said:
I took mine two days after my HSC exams finished, I didn't want to think about anything else during the HSC.
did the hsc timetable come out yet when you registered to do the stat test 2 days after the hsc?...i want to do it after my hsc as well but im scared that i might miss out if i have an exam around that period as well...when did you register to complete your stat test?

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
keropi said:
did the hsc timetable come out yet when you registered to do the stat test 2 days after the hsc?...i want to do it after my hsc as well but im scared that i might miss out if i have an exam around that period as well...when did you register to complete your stat test?
I registered after the timetables came out. I remember I wanted to do it on the 5th of November because I wanted it ASAP after my exams.

tennille

HSC
goan_crazy said:
The STAT is useful depending on the result you get in it. A person may have stuffed up their HSC exams and ended up with a much lower UAI, in which the STAT result may be useful.

However, the UAI and STAT are two differnt things. While a UAI is based on working hard in your assessments and exams, a STAT is based on common knowledge.

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
You can't simply say "it's not worth it" because you recieved a low mark. For certain courses that require additional criteria, you're obliged to sit the exams (if they are exams) whether you want to or not. My STAT percentile rank was 97.30, which was enough to get me into Pharmacy. I enrolled in the prep course too, so I spent even more money on it, but in the end it all pays off.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)