stat170 report (1 Viewer)

steph@nie

narcissistic whore.
HSC
I'm doing my assignment, and I have to compare the survival rate of passengers on the titanic according to the class they travelled by. I've done a bar chart, but I don't know what other graphs/ numerical summaries I have to put in..

any help would be appreciated

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
are u using minitab? descriptive stats (numerical), comparative boxplots and histograms will do...u cud do stem and leaf plots its hard to c what exactly to use without the data being in front of me...but those r the major graphical displays neway...but i do recommend hte boxplot and a histogram (which has the comparison of classes)

Last edited:

steph@nie

narcissistic whore.
HSC
no.. ecstat.. it's what they teach us to use in 170.

I don't get why a box plot would be used, because survival is binary- they either did or they didn't survive. I used a histogram, but that's all I got and it doesn't seem sufficient.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
a histogram will be good enough i think.

boxplots tend to work better when you are dealing with means of continuous data.

Last edited:

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
well survival is a measure of probability

histograms are to measure frequency

boxplots show distributions of different Q1, Q3 and IQR regions

but what you need to do is graph and comment on diff probabilities :confused:

maybe you could place the probability values into a probability distribution of some kind and see if it follows a pattern
dont ask me which probability distribution u will need though :(

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
Damn I'm glad I passed Stat170.

Although I'll be doing Biostatistics or Psych-Design and Statistics next year :|

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
i'm doin econometrics which uses stat very heavily and i dont remember much, and i did stat 2nd sem last year. :S

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
yeh dont use boxplot if its like a binary choice...histogram shud b fine...do not stress bout using too little or too much its up to u really...the most important thing is to interpret the data and b consistent (cost me 1 mark out of 4 in stat 171 tute task thingy)

redruM- is econometrics econ 141? and how hard is it really?

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
i cant say.

i havent done enough work in it yet. remember to ask around exam time, hopefully i got a bit of an idea then. :)

ReaveR

HSC
Last year it was hell easy...the final exam was pretty much a rerun of the assignment, and the multiple choice were just taken from previous years word for word...but this year you guys changed lecturer's so I'm not really sure if it'll be the same =p

Edit: And the coursework is pretty easy, I learnt it all in hte three days prior to the exam...after having not gone to lectures the whole way through the semester (damn you Roselyn! No one can understand your accent!)

Sweet_Lemon

Final Sem'
HSC
i thougt histogram only work with single column only....coz i don't know how to alter it, i heard that ppl did different graphs, but pretty lost now, so i will stuck with my own graphs~ =.=|||

televators

HSC
I did a clustered bar chart..its the best (and most appropriate) one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)