State rankings (1 Viewer)

Deliriously

HSC
How are state rankings determined? Through external assessment mark, internal or both?
and if two people get the same mark, what happens?

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
Both, internal and external. If two people get the same mark they are equal I'm pretty sure. Some subjects with extensions go on how you did in all of the courses (eg. if tied in 3U, might base it on your 4U mark).

Though I don't think it's been stated exactly how, but the above is the general consensus iirc.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Both, internal and external. If two people get the same mark they are equal I'm pretty sure. Some subjects with extensions go on how you did in all of the courses (eg. if tied in 3U, might base it on your 4U mark).

Though I don't think it's been stated exactly how, but the above is the general consensus iirc.
Yeah, it's based on both internal and external - when two people are tied, they are equally placed. I don't think extension subjects would compare with your other subjects since it wouldn't be very fair.

Examine

same
HSC
Wait so even if you get 1st in the state externally, if you have a shit rank you won't get state?

enoilgam

HSC
This, even whats in bold. This is how the Board of Studies explains the tie break process "Where students have equal HSC marks, they are then ranked by the average of assessment and exam marks, each taken to one decimal place. In the case of extension courses, marks awarded for other courses in the subject area are also taken into consideration when students are tied. " I dont think this is very fair, but I think it would be a rare event where this would be used - they probably should just award a tied place instead.

Last edited:

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
"The Top Achievers in Course List shows the students in the top places in each course, provided they have also achieved Band 6 or Band E4, as appropriate. The number of students reported depends on the course candidature. Students are ranked by their HSC mark. Where students have equal HSC marks, they are then ranked by the average of their examination marks and their assessment marks, each taken to one decimal place. In the case of extension courses, marks awarded for other courses in the subject area are also taken into consideration when students are tied."

khfreakau

HSC
the guy who came first in the state last year for 3u maths only did so because all the other 3u guys did 4u, but he did 3u/2u accelerated. he got 100 in 2u, so he naturally beat all the other guys who did 4u, which was much more challenging. strictly speaking i think this is a bit unfair, but whatever.

MATHmaster

HSC
N/A
Say for example, I get 1st in my cohort for maths (2 unit) and I get 100 in my HSC, do I get a state rank?

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
Say for example, I get 1st in my cohort for maths (2 unit) and I get 100 in my HSC, do I get a state rank?
It's the relative assessment mark rankings between you and the other people in your cohort (ie mark differences between the ranks). Not purely ranks. (ie numerical 1, 2, 3, ....)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)