Statistics on uni results (1 Viewer)

Estel

Tutor
HSC
Does anyone here have stats for USYD/ANU as to
-how many ppl manage Distinction/HD average for the sciency/artsy subs...
-TSP/PhB numbers in relation to continuation to 1st sem- 2nd sem- 2ndyr - 3rd yr
-any other stats which may be of interest
thanks..

Generator

HSC
N/A
Grades... The relative number of students achieving a certain grade is set. It never* changes. (i.e., distribution curves).
*Lecturers may seek to skew the results if they deem it necessary.

Edit: The first edit killed my signature... I'm at USyd.

Last edited:

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
jm1234567890 said:
usually ~5%

EDIT: for HD that is
uhm, and i thought as long as u get the mark u get hd... but then, it should be higher, cuz i managed to get hd, whereas i know at least 6% of pplz better than me @@

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
xiao1985 said:
uhm, and i thought as long as u get the mark u get hd... but then, it should be higher, cuz i managed to get hd, whereas i know at least 6% of pplz better than me @@
I have heard that UNSW is different and HD's arent restricted to a %

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
It's totally dependant on what the lecturer feels like, and there are guidelines.
More often than not, especially with large candidatures, the bell-curve is applied to the marks, meaning most people will end up with credits

googy_1985

HSC
N/A
I know at UC lecturers can't scale marks.

All 'raw' marks have to go to the Divisional Academic panel and if they see the marks are 'unusual' for that subject etc, they can scale marks.. Rarely happens though...

cheesegrater

Overlord of the universe
Estel said:
Does anyone here have stats for USYD/ANU as to
-TSP/PhB numbers in relation to continuation to 1st sem- 2nd sem- 2ndyr - 3rd yr
-any other stats which may be of interest
thanks..
this year there were 23 ppl admitted into the PhB program, they must maintain a HD average, (my friend does phb arts said they will let him off with high d average).
Hard to say about continuation as these people are really the cream and often will start in second year in there feild of interest.
Handy scholarship worth nearly $10k a year, although they expect you to do summer units.
Incedentally the very first person to be awarded a PhB will be a female at the end of this semester, studying uber 1337 physics.

there are plenty of people in the tsp program, to be admitted they look more for enthusiasim rather than big results ie. extra curricular activities, you get a mentor and a $100 book voucher for this, you can be admitted at any stage of your degree.

ANU science does not use a bell and curve curently 60 is a C 70 D ect. from next year 65,75,85. :mad:

blah says she

blah. blah. blah.
HSC
cheesegrater said:
tANU science does not use a bell and curve curently 60 is a C 70 D ect. from next year 65,75,85. :mad:
is it changing for all the courses at anu?! nooooooooooo

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
it depends on the uni if there is a standard curve or not (ie, if x% can get HD's, y% get D's, etc)
for my uni, you get what you earn, so if we all earn 85+, we all get a HD, regardless of where we fall within that grade.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)