"Stephenie Meyers can't write" - Stephen King (1 Viewer)

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
I haven't read those books, but i allowed my friend to read a page of New Moon to me.

From the way it was written, i seriously believed it was written by a kid in year 7 who didn't know how to write.

My friend who has read the entire series even admitted that she skimmed all the books (she only likes the plot) because the writing was terrible and there were even grammatical errors =="

tl;dr - Shit > Twilight^inifinity

darkcounty

thas unaustralian... hic
HSC
I can't believe people would use this book for their HSC. In other words, shooting yourself in the foot.

Cinnamonster

Somewhere in the general vicinity of the Universe
HSC
I haven't read those books, but i allowed my friend to read a page of New Moon to me.

From the way it was written, i seriously believed it was written by a kid in year 7 who didn't know how to write.

My friend who has read the entire series even admitted that she skimmed all the books (she only likes the plot) because the writing was terrible and there were even grammatical errors =="

tl;dr - Shit > Twilight^inifinity
Haha. I read the plot summary on Wikipedia when someone suggested that I read the book.
It was close to being pretty much the worst thing I have ever read.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
Do you think you can create art, make something creative, if you have no talent?

e.g say i have a beautiful picture in my head, but i am not a very good drawer or painter, is my attempt still art?

You might think that isnt relevant to this thread, but it is. Sometimes i have some great dreams, or think up a good idea for a story, and i might even attempt to write it, but it never comes out very good because i am not a talented writer, i dont have the art, the ability to mould words into something beautiful that tells the story in my head.

I think stephenie myers is someone who had a great idea in their head, and tried their best to write it out, and despite her lackluster writing, it is still successful.

Another good example of this [though nowhere near as bad as her] is Raymond E. Feist, he wrote what is one of the best fantasies i have read [Magician] yet he was an inexperienced writer with no training, his book somewhat reflects that[at least the first one, he grew as a writer very quickly] yet it still tells a fantastic story.

I still think stephenie myer sucks, but it helps me understand why some people might like her. If the story is good, if the world you create is interesting, then people will read.

krels

HSC
oh please, steph meyer is a genius - she wrote about sparkly vampires that cougars and tweens can both love and now she is a multi-millionaire!
maybe her books being so foolproof and dumbed down was her plan all along.

HSC
Uni Grad
The story itself is excellent and could have done far better, but I completely agree that it is let down hard by the poor writing ability of SM. 0 character development from start of book 1 to end of book 4. It had so much potential but her shitty writing skills killed it for me.

klaris

HSC
Even the plot of Twilight isn't strong enough for anyone but a tween to be enticed by it.The head of English nearly threw up when some girl in Year 11 brought in her first edition of Twilight and continued to read it throughout first period (have no idea what she is doing in a year 10 class though) Later on, he handed her Wuthering Heights to read. That book is gold and Meyer just read the Excel Study Notes version and stole Bronte's romantic couples/moments.

HSC
Uni Grad
Which I guess begs the question, why is it so insanely, ridiculously, excessively, monstrously, epically successful? I dont get it, sure I liked the plot but I think it has reached a ludicrous amount of fans and status and another word or two my poor influenza ridden brain cant correctly identify. It doesnt make sense to me...

klaris

HSC
Which I guess begs the question, why is it so insanely, ridiculously, excessively, monstrously, epically successful? I dont get it, sure I liked the plot but I think it has reached a ludicrous amount of fans and status and another word or two my poor influenza ridden brain cant correctly identify. It doesnt make sense to me...
Don't worry, it won't make sense to anyone with half a brain. Meyers ripped off so many love stories and passed them off as her own I'm surprised she is being sued as this very moment. For one: forbidden love - buffy. Another: initial hatred - wuthering heights.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Do you think you can create art, make something creative, if you have no talent?

e.g say i have a beautiful picture in my head, but i am not a very good drawer or painter, is my attempt still art?

You might think that isnt relevant to this thread, but it is. Sometimes i have some great dreams, or think up a good idea for a story, and i might even attempt to write it, but it never comes out very good because i am not a talented writer, i dont have the art, the ability to mould words into something beautiful that tells the story in my head.

I think stephenie myers is someone who had a great idea in their head, and tried their best to write it out, and despite her lackluster writing, it is still successful.

Another good example of this [though nowhere near as bad as her] is Raymond E. Feist, he wrote what is one of the best fantasies i have read [Magician] yet he was an inexperienced writer with no training, his book somewhat reflects that[at least the first one, he grew as a writer very quickly] yet it still tells a fantastic story.

I still think stephenie myer sucks, but it helps me understand why some people might like her. If the story is good, if the world you create is interesting, then people will read.
There is literacy/ writing classes, and I for one can vouch that they can increase a persons writing ability.

Stephenie was just shit through all 4 books.

darkcounty

thas unaustralian... hic
HSC
The same reason why Miley Cyrus is rich. Viral marketing to impressionable preeteen, teenage girls with lots of their parent's money to spend.

hollyy.

stop looking at me swan.
HSC
I'm a Muse fan and Twilight is pretty much based on a bunch of Muse songs [+ a few other bands]. It's pretty unoriginal, really.
now that you say that, i can see it. grr that makes me mad.

i loled at sparkly edward dolls in target yesterday.

HSC
Meyer is a genius.

She wrote sap that appeals to the grammatically retarded, depressed, sappy, effeminate youth of today.

Pure genius.

ectobiologist

HSC
N/A
stephen kings a pretty cool guy. eh criticsies the stephenie meyers and doesn't afraid of anything.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
The fact that the Twilight fans rubbished the legendary Stephen King, clearly emphasises their terrible taste.

Meyer's illustration of vampires are insults to that made by Bram Stoker in Dracula and King in Salem's Lot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)