still a little confused....... (1 Viewer)

strawberry

just two questions:

1. can i actually transfer in 2nd semester??

2. with an uai of 87 approx and doing Bcom at ANU, what grades would i need to have a chance of transfering back to usyd for commerce??

thanx

carrotz

HSC
Uni Grad
1. at most uni's, they require you to finish off 2nd semester before transferring anywhere.

2. mose uni's need you to have at least a credit average to transfer, but you should speak to the liaison person at usyd to check what ur requirements are to transfer from anu.

carrotz

HSC
Uni Grad
if ur marks are really really good, then may be they might let you transfer.. but thats a very very small possibility.

googy_1985

HSC
N/A
Correct me if i am wrong Minai or Laz, but UAC require you 2 complete 1 yr full time study before they include u uni marks in your 'new uai' score, therefore if you do 1 semester and transfer externally, you mark will stay the same as u got in the hsc.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by googy_1985
Correct me if i am wrong Minai or Laz, but UAC require you 2 complete 1 yr full time study before they include u uni marks in your 'new uai' score, therefore if you do 1 semester and transfer externally, you mark will stay the same as u got in the hsc.
Also, full time is definitely just six subjects per year isn't it, not eight, because I am hoping to get a transfer based on only seven subjects:).

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
full time is based on the no of credit points each subject is worth, normally adding to 24cp per semester, so if your seven subjects add up to 48 credit points then that is full time.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by Mambomeg
full time is based on the no of credit points each subject is worth, normally adding to 24cp per semester, so if your seven subjects add up to 48 credit points then that is full time.
The thing is, Newcastle University has a different credit point allocation scheme. Where your University (I think) has 6 credit points per subject, Newcastle University has 10 credit points for most subjects:).

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
thats weird, mine were mostly 6cp, but some were 3, 4 or 5 cp, but it all added up to 24 a semester. you'd have to check with your uni then to find out what a full time load is.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by Mambomeg
thats weird, mine were mostly 6cp, but some were 3, 4 or 5 cp, but it all added up to 24 a semester. you'd have to check with your uni then to find out what a full time load is.
Yeah I am pretty sure that you have to do three subjects per semester (30 units) to be considered a full time student but most people do four subjects (40 units) so I am a little worried. Probably for no reason though:rolleyes:.

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
i think if ur marks r reallly good , there is a possibility.

santaslayer

HSC
Minai explained this to me the other day and i'll try transferring wot i learned to u.....lol
depending on the NRSL cut off , (lets say its something like a 93.00 uai for NRSL) u would need a GPA of at least 6.4 which is a Distinction Avg (equating to 98.5) to get into USYD law. ie. 98.5+87/2=92.75

(i hope im right!)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
usually, NRSL rankings are lower than UAI cutoffs
so maybe a GPA of 6.0 would be enough, with a UAI of 87.
I got a transfer to commerce which had a UAI cutoff of 96, but the average of my UAI and 1st year grades was 95.625

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Merethrond
Yeah I am pretty sure that you have to do three subjects per semester (30 units) to be considered a full time student but most people do four subjects (40 units) so I am a little worried. Probably for no reason though:rolleyes:.
newcastle uses the 10 points for most subjects

and it is only 30 a semester, coz thats all ive got, its what they told me to have, and they consider me full time

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by santaslayer
Minai explained this to me the other day and i'll try transferring wot i learned to u.....lol
depending on the NRSL cut off , (lets say its something like a 93.00 uai for NRSL) u would need a GPA of at least 6.4 which is a Distinction Avg (equating to 98.5) to get into USYD law. ie. 98.5+87/2=92.75

(i hope im right!)
Yeah, I read Minai's explanation of that the other day too:).

Originally posted by hipsta_jess
newcastle uses the 10 points for most subjects

and it is only 30 a semester, coz thats all ive got, its what they told me to have, and they consider me full time
That is what I thought:).

santaslayer

HSC
lol.....good, at least i got the actual theory right!
does anyone know usually how far off is the NRSL to the actual cuttoff?..maybe 3-4 points lower?

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by santaslayer
lol.....good, at least i got the actual theory right!
does anyone know usually how far off is the NRSL to the actual cuttoff?..maybe 3-4 points lower?
It is a higher cutoff, not lower:).

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by Merethrond
It is a higher cutoff, not lower:).
Sometimes, but not always
Law at Sydney and UNSW and Commerce at UNSW have NRSL cutoffs much lower than the actual UAI cutoffs (these courses I actually know they are lower!)

JRasnier

so would i need to get a perfect high distinction to transfer after first year at uws to uts, with my uai of 57.85, into the course that is like in the 80s?

santaslayer

HSC
JRasnier, that would depend on what type of 80 it is....if it is in the early 80's than u might still have a chance. ie. if u get a GPA of 6.5+ then ur "new" uai would be 78.675, which is still under the 80 mark.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)