Straight commerce degree or commerce/law? (1 Viewer)

swifty13

HSC
Hey guys
I was just wondering if it is better to do a straight commerce degree at a more prestigious university, ie. UNSW, or a combined commerce/law degree at one that is less prestigious such as Macquarie?

I've heard that you'd be more employable if you do a commerce/law degree (I don't plan to practice law but I think the law degree would equip me with good decision making skills and things like that and I think it's pretty interesting too) but I pretty much know I can't get into com/law at UNSW or USYD.

So would it be better to do a commerce degree at UNSW (96.3 ATAR) or a UTS business/law or Macquarie com/law degree?

Last edited:

KidDang

HSC
Uni Grad
Referencing and reading is a pain in the ass! I think you're the type that wants to finish uni asap (1 week into uni and you'll know) so a standard commerce degree is what you need.

Now this is where it gets funky because prestige to me isn't standard of education, what I mean here is in order for you to do accounting with accreditations from CA it's pretty much the same courses everywhere. And now what you should weigh out is standard of lecturers, core courses, location, support in finding internships, campus life and maybe friends/chicks if you're into that.

To me prestige is more of a social/marketing aspect but in terms of education not neccessarily because I've been told by quite a few HR recruiters that when you start your grad position they assume you know nothing. Say when you walk around telling your friends, relatives or work mates oh I graduated from unsw, there's always that oh wow thing and with some people it helps them market their company, I know when I want to find a new doctor and I see the sign UNSW-MBBS on the door I'm going yes, this is safe.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey guys
I was just wondering if it is better to do a straight commerce degree at a more prestigious university, ie. UNSW, or a combined commerce/law degree at one that is less prestigious such as Macquarie?

I've heard that you'd be more employable if you do a commerce/law degree (I don't plan to practice law but I think the law degree would equip me with good decision making skills and things like that) but I pretty much know I can't get into com/law at UNSW or USYD.

So would it be better to do a commerce degree at UNSW (96.3 ATAR) or a UTS business/law or Macquarie com/law degree?
Based on what you've said, I'd say avoid law because you're not really into it or actually need it for a particular job. If your main concern is employability then just do what you want to actually study and focus on making yourself employable e.g. extra curriculars, work experience, etc.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey guys

I've heard that you'd be more employable if you do a commerce/law degree (I don't plan to practice law but I think the law degree would equip me with good decision making skills and things like that and I think it's pretty interesting too) but I pretty much know I can't get into com/law at UNSW or USYD.

If you do a single degree and get good marks, you'll be far more employable than doing comm/law at a cr@p university. And you save 2 years at university too.

My biggest education mistake was doing 5 year comm/law. The best thing I did was to complete it in 4 years.

inJust

HSC
KidDang; said:
I know when I want to find a new doctor and I see the sign UNSW-MBBS on the door I'm going yes, this is safe.
I lold so hard hahaha

Appleorange

Banned
HSC
So would you say that macquarie is 'crap?'
No. Ask Azure. He is a moderator who studies Law at Macq. I believe Macquarie is a good place to study.

Based on what you've said, I'd say avoid law because you're not really into it or actually need it for a particular job. If your main concern is employability then just do what you want to actually study and focus on making yourself employable e.g. extra curriculars, work experience, etc.
This

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)