Strange Computer Issue (1 Viewer)

HSC
Uni Grad
I've been having a reoccurring issue when I log in on my computer and I haven't been able to fix it. When I log in everything on my account appears to have been wiped, including documents. my desktop and software. So far I've been able to use system restore to recover my stuff but the problem keeps happening. Its happened four times so far and I've run scans using Anti-Virus Guard and Lavasoft Ad-Aware but haven't found anything. I thought it might have been something I installed but I don't think that's the problem. Anyone got any ideas on how to fix this or had the same problem? I am running Windows Vista (which could be problem in itself.)

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
System Restore, Copy all files, Back it up, Reformat Vista.
This, but before everything DL AVG and run a scan on every file. There is no point copying everything and reformatting as it will just copy the virus over.

Are you running a PC, if so how old is it?

boxhunter91

HSC
Umm no it wont.
A full reformat will remove everything on the hard drive.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Umm no it wont.
A full reformat will remove everything on the hard drive.
But you told him to copy his files across. For all he know the virus could be imbedded in a image/video/mp3, if it is a virus anyways.

HSC
Uni Grad
System Restore, Copy all files, Back it up, Reformat Vista.
This, but before everything DL AVG and run a scan on every file. There is no point copying everything and reformatting as it will just copy the virus over.

Are you running a PC, if so how old is it?
I've backed up my computer, only after this occurred the first time so if it is a virus its probably on the backup as Snowfox pointed out. System restore was the first thing I tried although I haven't tried reformatting it. I'm using a PC, its about four years old.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)