Strange, strange prac/research task...molar heat of combustion...sort of...PLZ HELP!! (1 Viewer)

doomedstudent

HSC
Hi, i have a research task in which you have to assess which of four given alcohols would (best) keep you alive for four days if u only had one litre of each...

you have to account for the Molar heat of combustion, the amount of CO2 gas produced, and weather it combusts completely (ie how much Carbon Monoxide will be produced)

The four alcohols are:
  • Methanol
  • 1-Propanol
  • 3-Pentanol
  • 1-Hexanol

I have a good idea about how to do the actual task, but i REALLY need facts, they are impossible to find. Mainly just the Molar heat of combustion (or just heat of combustion), and the amount of CO2.

Any help gladly appreciated!!

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Lol, a very interesting question. I think the heat combustion increases as the molecule gets larger ie hexanol would have the highest heat combustion followed by pentanol but i'm not sure if this is true for alkanols. The problem is each of the alcohols is probably better off in one of the categories you mentioned so it will be hard to find a clear winner of the 4. I guess that's why you were asked to "assess" them and i hate that word for a good reason in the hsc.

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
Yes, the molar heat of combustion increases with molecular mass.

You can compare the amount of CO2 produced by writing equations, assuming they're undergoing complete combustion. For example:

CH4 + O2 → CO2 + 2H2O

Whether or not it combusts completely depends on the reaction conditions. Complete combustion takes place when the reaction occurs in excess oxygen.

doomedstudent

HSC
hmm

Yea i figured as much that it gets bigger as you go along. thanks for the equation bit i completely forgot about doing that. do u have any idea where i can get the actual data for the heat of combustion? im all out of ideas, all i can think of is to but a data book....

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
It is quite a strange task. You need to know how to calculate the molar heat of combustion of fuels, but the "keep you alive for 4 days" goes a little too far. :p

Don't worry about it too much. Of course, if you can get your hands on a data book, then do so.

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
From another thread, I found these two molar heats of combustion. It's a start, at least:

Methanol 726kJ/mol
1-propanol 2101kJ/mol

I_F

doomedstudent

HSC
Thanks for those two, that is a start. yea i think im gunna try and "borrow" my chem teachers data book. or he might even let me who knows. such a strange task...

Riviet

HSC
N/A
You could probably say any of them would last longest, as long as you back up your opinion with relevant info. Just an idea.

doomedstudent

HSC
I found it!! i got all the info on molar heat of combustion!! so stoked. but it says that while methanol, 1-propanol and 3-pentanol release consecutively more heat, 1-hexanol releases less than 3-pentanol rather confusing but ill run with it. Any idea how much heat it takes to raise the temperature of the environment?? LOL.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
I had a look at it just then, and it's very comprehensive and well set out. :)

P

pLuvia

I have a similar assessment except we, worth 15% of the final hsc mark :)

Determine the relations ship between the length of carbon chain and the heat of combustion of alcohols

we're only using methanol, ethanol and 1-propanol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)