Stressing out!!! (1 Viewer)

benchwarmer17

HSC
i am having the hardest time at the moment, i'm stuck in 3 subjects i absolutely hate - bio, business studies and ancient history.

in bio we have a TERRIBLE teacher who can't teach at all, i just know i'm going to fail my half yearlys because we've hardly gone over anything, and not to mention our whole class was unsatisfactory because we didn't finish two pracs.

in business studies i'm just kind of struggling because we have this new teacher who believes in handing out sheets but won't actually TEACH it, plus there's that huge major assessment/business research project due in term 3 which i honestly don't know how i'm gunna do..

and then in ancient, well it just seems dull. we have a great teacher but i'm just bored with it, i can't see the point.

so it's obviously too late to change classes, but what i'm really asking is if there's any ways you think i might be able to motivate myself?? i'm really struggling here and i can't think straight...

what do i do?!

HSC
Uni Grad
i am having the hardest time at the moment, i'm stuck in 3 subjects i absolutely hate - bio, business studies and ancient history.

in bio we have a TERRIBLE teacher who can't teach at all, i just know i'm going to fail my half yearlys because we've hardly gone over anything, and not to mention our whole class was unsatisfactory because we didn't finish two pracs.

in business studies i'm just kind of struggling because we have this new teacher who believes in handing out sheets but won't actually TEACH it, plus there's that huge major assessment/business research project due in term 3 which i honestly don't know how i'm gunna do..

and then in ancient, well it just seems dull. we have a great teacher but i'm just bored with it, i can't see the point.

so it's obviously too late to change classes, but what i'm really asking is if there's any ways you think i might be able to motivate myself?? i'm really struggling here and i can't think straight...

what do i do?!
Try to stick with people who you know will work and cooperate so that you can try to succeed. That's one good clue.

Maybe you should tell your teacher after the lesson that he/she should actually talk about the stuff that's been given out, like what stuff means and what's required to be done... etc...

In Ancient, what makes you bored? Maybe it's something to deal with...

If you can't deal with these things above I suggest tutoring would be the only way to go....

Last edited:

s2 SEductive

MostDefinitelyIncredible
HSC
Have you tried looking at the resources on this site http://boredofstudies.org/resources.php

There are a lot of notes on every subject like every dot point.
It teaches you a lot, but you would need to study it thoroughly.

or maybe you could ask for a tutor ?

I hope you all the best :)

gesh17

HSC
N/A
Embrace the fact that ignorance, in many situations, can truly become bliss.

Last edited:

muzeikchun852

HSC
u should ask ur year advisor see whether u can change ur subject, if u are struggling with it. with my school, we are able to change subject after the half-yearly.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
Have you tried looking at the resources on this site http://boredofstudies.org/resources.php

There are a lot of notes on every subject like every dot point.
It teaches you a lot, but you would need to study it thoroughly.

or maybe you could ask for a tutor ?

I hope you all the best :)
wow nice site, never knew about it, thx ;). As for the OP, try ur best in ur subjects, ur ATAR aim should motivate you, ask urself this, what kind of person do you want to be? do you want to be the person with the high ATAR or the low end atar? good luck.

its only what 18 months u have to put up with it, then its history!, never to be seen or used again, so put the effort in now, and then be welcomed into the world of uni :D lol, Time will go fast. You think the assignments we get now r over the top, wait until u hit uni..:) yr 11 is preparation for yr 12, yr 12 is preparation for uni, in other worlds, yr 11 is very inferior when compared to yr 12, and yr 12 is very inferior when compared to uni :D, uni prepares and provides you with the necessary skills required for the work industry u wish to work in.

my 2c ;P

zxreth

HSC

what do i do?!
i was in the same position as you before my chemistry half-yearlies. our class only did 3 pracs whereas other classes did 6-7, so i had to go around (the night before the exam) asking my mates to scan the pracs they did and send it to me. so yeah, i would suggest to you to do the same thing but then again ur head teacher might realise that ur class isn't upto date and he may choose not to include the pracs you haven't done.

s2 SEductive

MostDefinitelyIncredible
HSC
wow nice site, never knew about it, thx ;). As for the OP, try ur best in ur subjects, ur ATAR aim should motivate you, ask urself this, what kind of person do you want to be? do you want to be the person with the high ATAR or the low end atar? good luck.

its only what 18 months u have to put up with it, then its history!, never to be seen or used again, so put the effort in now, and then be welcomed into the world of uni :D lol, Time will go fast. You think the assignments we get now r over the top, wait until u hit uni..:) yr 11 is preparation for yr 12, yr 12 is preparation for uni, in other worlds, yr 11 is very inferior when compared to yr 12, and yr 12 is very inferior when compared to uni :D, uni prepares and provides you with the necessary skills required for the work industry u wish to work in.

my 2c ;P
Np ^^

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
Give ur subjects some time...Sometimes when you first think somthing is bad, they don't always turn out to be 100% negative. I remember i was dreadin bio in like the 2nd week, but gave it some time, and now its not as bad as i thought, like no hw, simple stuff to understand and alright/relaxed class and teacher, although i've set this subject to drop in yr 12...:) (was my fill in).

So try your best, n good luck ;P

hood hood

HSC
hmmm ur case is similar to mine last year.. the best thing you can do is try your best and just because your teacher cant teach its not really an excuse, what im trying to say is dont rely on most teachers to teach you, my method is when i have a crappy teacher who bludges mostly (like my bio teacher) i research each topic thats happening before hand so when the teacher gives you sheets to do you will kinda get some of it. and also if you have any problems try to ask ur bio teacher as an individual maybe you will undersatnd the teacher better then with a class.
dont give up your subject just because your teacher cant teach!!:) if you really hate it and dont get a subject like ancient i consider for you to drop it and to do your best in your other subjects...:)
good luck:)

Last edited:

jp92

HSC
lol good stress more idiot, just drop out of school

Last edited:

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
To the OP.

There are a few things you can try to cheer yourself up about school and your crap teachers/methods. I would suggest finding older friends that have done these courses to see if they could help you. Hang with them or even with other kids in your current classes who are excelling at the subjects and would be willing to share and help you.

Where possible, if you think it would help, seek another teacher's help because there are bound to be more than one teacher per subject and you can most likely just explain the situation you're in and they will help.

You could always try tutoring if this fails, which will essentially be an extra (and hopefully good) teacher who you can always leave.

klaris

HSC
i'm stressing too. i'm finding english really difficult as my teacher has an inability to explain things properly.

a lot of other things (other than schoolwork) are stressing me out too and sometimes i go to school and i just don't want to do the work. that makes a huge impact on things but i don't know what else to do.

oh well. gotta keep on keepin' on.

Lauchlan

HSC

what do i do?!
obviously, you find yourself in a sticky situation. ill answer for each subject.

BIOLOGY: Do you have a passion for the subject? Or need it for post-HSC? It's a very valuable subject. Could you switch to another bio line satisfactorily? If not, motivate yourself by perhaps joining study groups, people from other bio classes, tutors ect. Complain to your school if you aren't being delivered the course satisfactorily - you have the right to appeal.

BUSINESS STUDIES: I hate those teacher types. I can't help you much here because I don't do the subject. But for Prelim Geography I have a Senior Geography Project due at the end of Term 3 and we haven't really discussed it at all. Relax in that regard, but maybe consider dropping it - you shouldn't have to tolerate such teachers.

ANCIENT HISTORY: Here we have the opposite. Let me get this clear - you have an awesome teacher yet you hate the subject? Fail... And Prelim History is supposed to be the most interesting and diverse compared to HSC... Well I'll leave that decision for you, but your school hasn't failed you this one time.

Motivate yourself by:
1. Stop stressing out.
2. Prioritise your subjects and balance this out with other factors ie. the quality of the teacher and your want/need for the subject.
3. Work hard. Your not the only one with irritating schools (esp. bad-ranking ones :p)

benchwarmer17

HSC
Thank you SOO much to all of those who gave advice, it was really helpful :)

so i've calmed down a bit now, at least knowing that i'm not the only one..
also being in a small rural school its kind of hard to get a lot of the help that most of you would have (plus apparently my school is preeetty low ranked.. how embarrassing) but i'll try my best. i think i was having a bit of a panic attack there :D

thanks again everyone for the help :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)