Struggling to choose between mathematics or general? (1 Viewer)

excellence1

HSC
Hi ,

Maths has always been a good subject of mine, but once year 12 came along it became a different story. I am now facing the struggle to either stay in advanced maths ( 2 unit) or drop to general maths. I have been doing pretty bad in my quizzes, but i'm not struggling with my homework. Weird right! I know i can do well in general but once again I'm scared it will affect my future career. So what should i do?

excellence1

HSC
We just finished geometry, that's alright. Finished series, but the application questions are not that good :/

Flop21

HSC
Stick with it. Try hard and don't drop it just because things are getting hard. Take the challenge and study!

Flop21

HSC
If you don't understand something, do the chapter in your textbook (check out the cambridge textbook it's great), and/or watch a video. Eddie Woo on youtube has math videos.

Then do some practice questions (past papers x100). You can go through and do the relevant questions (success one book has a topic index). Maybe at this point try and find some trial papers, instead of using up all the HSC ones. I bet your issue is not enough practice with HSC style questions if you do your homework and have an okay understanding of things.

excellence1

HSC
I use Maths in Focus, the book is easy compared to the Cambridge book.
Practice, that's what my teacher said too :) I know i shouldnt give up a challenge and i hate giving up, but once you get defeated way too many times you question your decisions. I do all my homework, get it right but once topic tests come up... i do horrible.
Thank you

excellence1

HSC
Stick with it. Try hard and don't drop it just because things are getting hard. Take the challenge and study!
If you dont mind me asking, how did you got with maths this year? what did you find the hardest? I know its rewardable but is it really worth the stress?

Flop21

HSC
If you dont mind me asking, how did you got with maths this year? what did you find the hardest? I know its rewardable but is it really worth the stress?
I went okay. I'll be honest and say that I lost a lot of good habits over year 11 and year 12 due to some changing circumstances. I wasn't doing my homework or math every day. So that really impacted my results. I think if you keep up with the flow (listen to your teacher), do your homework every day, make sure you do at least a little bit of math every day (if you have no homework, make your own/study) and practice consistently throughout the year you'll be fine.

Got my shit together after trials though and felt I did well in the HSC.

Hardest topic for me was the finance part of series and sequences (I pushed it off till last, but got it in the end, it's not that hard), but now looking back I don't see anything as overly hard.

It's really up to you. In year 11/10 I didn't know what I wanted to do and certainly didn't think it would involve math, but here I am wanting to do computer science which actually assumes 3u. You shouldn't be stressing if you keep up and do it every single day. You'll be stressing if you realise it's a couple weeks before trials and you've been a dumb ass all year not doing math every day. Do things earlier than later is my main tip.

Mathislife

HSC
Due take note for the future if you plan to get b5 or b6 switch your primary textbook. Maths in Focus is not recommended as your primary source if that is the case. Use it to build the foundations to that subject but then move on to something like Fitzpatrick and Cambridge if you can. For now, just use Maths in Focus though and if you are feeling confident make sure to switch it around.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I know i can do well in general but once again I'm scared it will affect my future career. So what should i do?
What careers are you looking at?

If it's anything science or engineering related, then you would at the least want to be doing mathematics.

Even in some areas of commerce, it would be much better for you to do at least mathematics.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)