Struggling to pick one more subject. (1 Viewer)

sweetiez09

HSC
This is the first thread I've made, so I apologize if it is the wrong forum.

So I've pretty much got down pat 5 subjects for Year 11 next year (10 units) and I'm struggling to pick one more. :spzz: The subjects I have already chosen are ones I really enjoy and love, which is why I'm stuck on picking one more. The subjects I have now are:

English Advanced
Studies of Religion ll
Business Studies
Community and Family Studies
Retail Services

I've been thinking about legal studies, PDHPE and Drama but am mostly tossing up between PDHPE and Drama. My electives I did in year 9 and this year in year 10 is Drama and I enjoy it, receive A's + B's but I'm not sure if it's something that I would be able to handle in Year 11 and 12, if it is too difficult for me.
PDHPE, I get A's nearly all the time and I am into things like health diseases, drug effects, etc.
At the moment I am pretty clueless though on the sporting type of things, different sport rules, muscles parts, etc.

Just wanting your opinon on what you think I should consider choosing and any past experience with these subjects if you have any. :)
:headbang:

luciferous

HSC
It depends on what subjects you think will count for you HSC. Since only 10 units will go towards your ATAR, then it really just comes down to which subject you like the best. However, if you think that either drama or PDHPE will count, it might be better to do PDHPE as drama involves putting a lot of time into practicals and your major work for year 12. In short - for grades, PDHPE; for personal interest, Drama.

From personal experience, I picked maths ext 2 over english ext 2 for the scaling, but now wonder if I would have been happier if I had chosen eng ext 2.

Hope that helps.

sweetiez09

HSC
It depends on what subjects you think will count for you HSC. Since only 10 units will go towards your ATAR, then it really just comes down to which subject you like the best. However, if you think that either drama or PDHPE will count, it might be better to do PDHPE as drama involves putting a lot of time into practicals and your major work for year 12. In short - for grades, PDHPE; for personal interest, Drama.

From personal experience, I picked maths ext 2 over english ext 2 for the scaling, but now wonder if I would have been happier if I had chosen eng ext 2.

Hope that helps.
Thanks, that does help.
I really do like Drama, but I don't want to do it if it gets too difficult as for me Drama has always been a 'fun' subject that isn't too stressful like the others.
PDHPE is also interesting and I'm good at it, despite the muscles and types of sports, but I'm wondering if that is something I could easily pick up.

Thankyou for your opinion, would love to hear from others too. :D

Direwolf

HSC
For the preliminary course both the histories are quite enjoyable and the work:effort ratio isn't too bad.

From the subjects you've already chosen legal studies seems like it could cover similar content (Don't do any of them so only speculating),
so maybe that would make it easier but could also be boring as well?

If you're going to drop it anyway for year 12 why don't you pick a fun subject like food-technology or D&T?

sweetiez09

HSC
For the preliminary course both the histories are quite enjoyable and the work:effort ratio isn't too bad.

From the subjects you've already chosen legal studies seems like it could cover similar content (Don't do any of them so only speculating),
so maybe that would make it easier but could also be boring as well?

If you're going to drop it anyway for year 12 why don't you pick a fun subject like food-technology or D&T?
Thanks. I've been thinking about maybe taking up Drama and then I could drop that when it comes to Year 12. However, there's still a part of me that thinks I could possibly do better in PDHPE than Drama. I'm not sure if I should do drama and then if I figure it's too difficult for me in drop in yr 12, or take up PDHPE in the prelim year for the fact that I could do better in that and not give drama a go.

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
It cant hurt to try Mathematics....

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Has your school put out the lines yet as that is also a consideration. It is possible that two of your preferred subjects could be against each other and so you will have to chose between them as well. I always advise kids, at this point of Year 10 to have a list of subjects down to about #7 in order or preference to cover the possibility of clashes in the first four or five subjects.

jnney

lemon
HSC
I think you should ask some current year 11 and 12 students what is involved in drama, PDHPE and legal. Also, go the library/book store and have a look at some textbooks respective of those subjects so you have a better idea of what you're going to be in for, should you take that subject in year 11 and/or 12.

I remember really wanting to PDHPE but I didn't like most of the content, and so I didn't end up choosing it.

Good luck.

sweetiez09

HSC
Sy123- I'm not doing maths in year 11 & 12 as I'm already failing at. 5.2 level in year 10 so I don't think it would be a wise decision to continue it.

Our school is making us choose 10 subjects altogether in order of preference incase we might not be able to get our first selections that we want. I think like you said jnney, I'll look at some textbooks and see the content covered and if I'm interested I'm in it. The only thing is I dont have any Year 11 or 12 students to talk to as our school only goes to Year 10 so next year we go to a different school which is year 11 and 12 only.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)