struggling with motivation (1 Viewer)

ashleykatehowlett

HSC
Hello,
So im in year 11, and i am currently studying legal studies. But no matter how hard i try to enjoy it i just cannot. I would be fine knowing that i can just drop it next year. But due to attending a non ATAR TVET course and having 13 units i never questioned the fact that i might not enjoy a subject. We are 6 chapters into the subject and i have absolutely no clue what is going on. i try studying the subject to catch up but i struggle because every other subject i study, i enjoy studying. How can you study something that you don't have any interest in?
Thank you for your time. :)

bangladesh

HSC
Is it possible to pick up extension maths/english next year? If not, just think about how it'll affect your atar and study for it.

Cleavage

Clarence
HSC
Uni Grad
Hello,
So im in year 11, and i am currently studying legal studies. But no matter how hard i try to enjoy it i just cannot. I would be fine knowing that i can just drop it next year. But due to attending a non ATAR TVET course and having 13 units i never questioned the fact that i might not enjoy a subject. We are 6 chapters into the subject and i have absolutely no clue what is going on. i try studying the subject to catch up but i struggle because every other subject i study, i enjoy studying. How can you study something that you don't have any interest in?
Thank you for your time. :)
I felt the exact same way last year, I found Legal Studies so fucking boring. I planned on dropping it all year 11, so I didn't do anywork or study. I ended up dropping another subject tho, and keeping Legal, because despite doing any work, I did pretty well in it.

Year 12 Legal is far more interesting. I still find it boring, but I have the motivation to study for it. A big reason I kept it was the workload; it's lighter than doing Chemistry for example. How big is the workload of your other subjects? If it is large, then I suggest you do what I did, and drop one of those subjects in favour of Legal. PM me if you want to talk about it :)

suika

HSC
I feel the same way with Chemistry. No motivation whatsoever, but I told myself I can't do bad because I'm only taking 10 units.

For my half-yearly with Chemistry, I gave up on studying. Ended up just not giving a crap about the exam and managed to just pass. Now I'm in the deep end. I got an assignment due in Week 6 - already started it. I've never done that with any of my Chemistry assignments, I've just ended up starting them probably a week before they were due. The reason behind why I started it so early was because of motivation. I know that I've stuffed up a large chunk of my internal mark which has affected my ranking. I'm aiming for a certain mark and I have that goal in my mind, and hopefully I'll continue having that goal. However, I was meant to catch up on all my study notes for Chem and I ended up not doing so, now I'm really behind and I'm going to have a very stressful time :D

That paragraph may or may not helped (probably not) in your situation and I'll admit that Prelim Legal Studies is boring. Most of my class found it boring too. The only reason I had motivation in that course was because I ended up coming first in the half yearly (78%... says a lot) and I wanted to improve that mark and maintain that position. I hated learning about Law Reform because we were doing Sport and the Law as our contemporary issue. Once you get into HSC Legal Studies, it's worth it. First topic is Crime and it's really interesting. My teacher always makes us watch stuff in class that was on 60 Minutes or Today Tonight such as the Gittany Case (where the boyfriend threw his girlfriend off the balcony). I think watching stuff like that makes Legal Studies more interesting and allows you to get more involved in the law because you start to develop and opinion about the law and what seemed right and what seemed wrong. Plus Prelim becomes basic knowledge in HSC.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but just remember to hang in there. If you aren't interested with law overall, (like me with Chemistry now), just focus on what you want to achieve by the end of HSC.

Plus if your teacher doesn't show you videos of cases from shows like Today Tonight etc, try watching them yourself if you don't already. They are really interesting.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
From what you have disclosed, I would highly advise you to get a private legal studies tutor or get someone who is good at legal studies at your school and willing to help out to assist you to grasping key concepts. Try to change your perspective of the subject, this may be your only option besides seeing whether there is a remote possibility you can change to another subject-although I think it will need to be exceptional circumstances for this to happen.

enoilgam

HSC
First of all, you need to get on top of the subject. Legal Studies isnt too difficult, so I dont think you would need a tutor unless you are really lost. I'd recommended getting the syllabus and using your textbook to make notes on each dot point. The reason most people get lost in humanities subjects is because they are lost in the sea of information. The syllabus can help give you direction regarding what you need to know and a textbook can help you fill in the blanks. If you dont have a good textbook, trying getting the Excel or Macquarie study guides for Legal.\

In terms of staying motivated, there is not real answer beyond good old fashioned perseverance. In uni and the workforce, you will be forced to do a lot of things you dont like and you just have to push your way through to get it done. So you might as well develop that ability from now.

SuchSmallHands

HSC
You're in year eleven, so if you're willing to work it's actually not too late to change. Don't get yourself into a subject you hate for two years if you have the opportunity to do something you enjoy. Ask friends what they do in other subjects and if they like them, go to a couple of lessons to get a feel for the subject if you need to and find something that you will actually enjoy. Even have a look at subjects that you think you'd hate, you'd probably actually surprise yourself with what you might find interesting. If you hate it already, run while you can.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)