student guild elections - empower vs. vision (1 Viewer)

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
can somebody explain to me whats going on? :/ i have no idea, i just know that these two 'parties', if you will, are campaigning

Nick

foregone conclusion
HSC
N/A
don't vote for the red shirted people

damn cult

sunny

meh.
HSC
No offence to anyone here involved in these elections, but personally I question the number of students in the university that actually care about these elections.

is a roflcopter
HSC
i need to get a vision shirt hmm

RCMasterAA

I vant to suck your blood
HSC
Do they have any policies? I'm not asking cause I care, I just wanna know what people think up when trying to run for these things.

tonberry_kun

O RLY?
HSC
well with the elections not mandatory then i doubt more than 50% of the uni population would even bother voting
all those ppl wearing the red shirts are just in it for the free tshirts :D

mic

Chronic Burper
HSC
N/A
lol, so far no one has been able to say what these two groups stand for

we had a power team come into our english lecture today, and yesterday someone from school told me to vote vision. why the fuck should i? :p

B

Bambul

tonberry_kun said:
well with the elections not mandatory then i doubt more than 50% of the uni population would even bother voting
all those ppl wearing the red shirts are just in it for the free tshirts :D
If it got anywhere near 50% that would be an achievement. Elections rarely get much more than 10%.

To my knowledge there are 4 main groups running (there are others but they are just front groups to direct preferences to the main 4):

Power
Vision
Students First
Action

1. Power
Broad Left - NOLS (that's Greens and Left Wing of the ALP). Won the election last year but were disqualified for breaking the rules (someone from another uni campaigned for them for 15 mins).

Presidential candidate: Manoj [something] - past Union and Guild candidate.

2. Students First
Centre right - Unity (Right Wing of the ALP). Has been in charge of the Guild since 2002, before which it was Student Power (technically different from Power). They have lost many of their supporters and are hence unlikely to do well this time.

Presidential candidate: Calen Thurston - current Treasurer/Secretary of Guild and former Tharunka editor.

3. Vision
Not politically aligned but notionally centre left. New group. Consists of many students active on campus (eg. Yellow Shirts, Revues, Union/Guild volunteer activities, etc).

Presidential candidate: Steve Legg - current Activities Director of Guild and Treasurer of the Union.

4. Action
Moderate right (Left Wing of Liberals). Ran last year and was beaten by all other major groups that ran. Unlikely to make a large impact.

Presidential candidate: don't know.

is a roflcopter
HSC
success
i now wear a vision shirt while my girlfriend wears the power shirt
:p

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Newbie said:
success
i now wear a vision shirt while my girlfriend wears the power shirt
:p
thats odd...

cos on the board in biomed theatres, it said 'vision - consists of med students...'

i told the power people i'd vote for them cos they were nice to me, i better stick to my word

anyway, my mooncake yumcha festival shirt > all

well not really but whatever

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Create a "Ripped" party. Oh the connotations!

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
The elections seem like a great deal of effort to keep political students (who want resume boosters) busy ....

I havn't voted yet, and don't intend to, but thankyou for giving me your flyers, I need extra useless paper ...

rukawasan

Top Stuff
HSC
ppls

the guild election is not a joke

u pay the uni abt 200+ dollars, abt 100 dollars of that goes to the guild, and the current guild does shit all

it sat on its ass while the uni board approved the 30% increase in hecs fees, which if i might remind u, ur gona be the one paying, while the very purpose of the guild is to represent the interests of the students

from the parties running this year...

student first is a joke
action is a joke

only power and vision are worth considering

however if u look at vision, their presidential candidate is steve legg, who single-handedly increased ur union fees three times last yr, even though there was no real reason for it, the union already has huge cash reserves, plus hes the current activies director of student first, which is in office now, and student first if i might remind u, is a load of crap, the current president spend abt 10000 of ur money on her OWN legal fees this yr

so objectively, power is the one to vote for... cos being lefty progressive, it will actually campaign, and presumably campaign hard for a stop to hecs increase just as what a similar faction in UWS did last yr...

u pay 100dollars every year for a chance to vote... make use of it...

it takes 5mins, and u noe what... u might actually save urself thousands of dollars in the next coupla yrs... think abt how many games of pool, how many beers, how many tickets to nightclubs that will be...

dudes... it doesnt take long to vote... so vote...

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
hrmm.. well that's pretty insigtful. Well at least now if im told to vote, im gonna vote power.

unless someone from another party convinces me otherwise in that fashion.

rukawasan

Top Stuff
HSC
underthesun said:
hrmm.. well that's pretty insigtful. Well at least now if im told to vote, im gonna vote power.

unless someone from another party convinces me otherwise in that fashion.
haha

something else u should know abt vision and steve legg, did u know hes got something like over 20 sexual harassment complaints against him...

thought that was interesting... haha

rukawasan

Top Stuff
HSC
tonberry_kun said:
sounds like power propaganda to me
its not propaganda dude... its the truth...

check it urself if u like... if im wrong... ill run around the library lawn naked for u... hehe

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)