Student Service Fees (1 Viewer)

karnevil

HSC
Got my invoice in the mail today, as I'm sure you guys also did. Looking at the itemised list, I came across:

Student Accomodation Levy $32.50

Why am I being charged for this when seemingly it has something to do with 'accomodation' - I thought this would only be for students who live in UTS' student accomodation?

Can someone plz explain this? cheers

HSC
i think its used to subsidies the costs for students who use the UTS student accomodation...
like if it wasnt for that...the costs would be too much for students to service.

even tho we're not effected by student accomodation costs...they still make us pay the levy to contribute...think about the ansett levy the govt imposed to help those unemployed ansett pplz

karnevil

HSC
fair enough I guess

although uni students staying on campus havent lost their jobs and thousands of dollars in entitlements, so it's not a very fair comparison to Ansett

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
No, it's worse because most of them don't have jobs to begin with. The lecturer and tutor mantra has always been "go poor for study unless you absolutely MUST work". UTS is simply charging everyone a little bit in order to help the people who have no choice but to live nearby.

And believe me, nobody would CHOOSE to live there unless they had no other options. ;)

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
How many people at uni do you think would work??? I will definately have to work while I am at uni, and a substantial number of hours as well!!!

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Oh tons of people work, only most of them don't NEED to in order to survive. Some work so they can afford a social life, or a car, or living nearby (I'm referring to people who don't actually need to leave home here).

However, there are also quite a few that have no choice to work. Some may be unable to live at home (distance or family problems etc), some may not be able to cover their study expenses any other way, yet others may even need to support their families.

karnevil

HSC
Yeah and some people are just lazy fucks who wouldn't know a hard day's work if it bit them in their arse - the reason I'm so cut is because I work, I earn every dollar that passes through my wallet, and I paid my service fees myself. I don't see why my hard work should benefit someone else in the form of an extra $32.50 every semester in my student fees?

Last edited:

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I can't understand why everyone had to pay that fee.... I'm living in the student accomodation, and hence don't mind paying the fee because I am using that service.... I don't see why everyone has to pay it though....

And karnevil, I know what you mean about money... I'm paying all of my fees, plus my first semester HECS, plus paying my accomodation costs and living costs in Sydney.... that's why I will be working ASAP and as much as possible!!!! My parents paid for stuff I needed to buy to set myself up in Sydney though, but it is so so soooooooo expensive to move!!!

I've already got a job interview lined up for as soon as I move to Sydney so if I could get that job it would be fantastic!!

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
Originally posted by karnevil
Yeah and some people are just lazy fucks who wouldn't know a hard day's work if it bit them in their arse - the reason I'm so cut is because I work, I earn every dollar that passes through my wallet, and I paid my service fees myself. I don't see why my hard work should benefit someone else in the form of an extra $32.50 every semester in my student fees? If you think this sounds selfish, sit on it and rotate
i agree
i know a lot of people who don't work merely because they can't be fucked, a little bit of part time work can't go wrong..

i also agree about the accomodation levy, but since its not a huge amount of money i'm not gonna complain

karnevil

HSC
ah geez now i feel bad.. seeing someone like you braindrainedash, who really appreciates being able to use the student accom, and who is a hard worker, it makes me feel glad that im paying the levy. A change of heart I know, but I'd put money on there being just as many uni-accomodation-using people who couldn't care less that everyone pays the levy for their benefit. It's great to see people like you, people who earn their way in this life. Good luck with your job interview and I hope you dont find the move to the big smoke too overwhelming!

Last edited:

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Thanks karn, good luck to you at uni too....

Something to always keep in the back of the mind though.... those who are total lazy asses will never get very far, hard work usually pays off!!!

karnevil

HSC
My boss was given the company by his father and is slowly running the place into the ground because he's got nfi how to treat people, he's just a lazy c*nt whose been given everything, and even though he's somewhere now, I'd like to see him in 2 years. kaboooom

karnevil

HSC
nah he's still kickin around, he remains a big part of the problem (management attitudes from the 1960s)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Ah, I know the problem. "I'm the boss, what I say goes".

My grandpa was similar, caused some bad decisions and killed a company he built. It was massively succesful before too.

karnevil

HSC
yeah that's about where this company is headed, down the drain. Luckily this is only a summer job for me, I feel bad for the people who have nothing to look forward to other than showing up there everyday of their working life

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Until the "work" part ends for them due to the company's collapse, that is.

Anyway you're a Business student now. Think of this as research!

karnevil

HSC
Yeah it's a prime example of poor (or a lack of any) management skills sending a business straight into a downward spiral

meh

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
I'm sure if you take good notes now you could use it in later years. Seriously, this is gold for your research tasks! I have no such luck though. No radioisotopes floating around in my neighbourhood.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)