Students who do Economics and Legal Studies! (1 Viewer)

assiduous

HSC
Do you follow the news often?
What do you look for in newspapers?

What else do you have to do in addition to this to achieve a band 6 in these subjects?

All this might sound obvious and all but i was just curious how much time you guys spend on this each day or week.

For me i spend ONE hour on news sites at the very least a day.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I keep abreast of situations. I look for anything Economics related or Legal Studies related, obviously. So I rummage through the business section, or anything on interest rate decisions, and for Legal, just a general scan for things like a new DPP or a case.

But my teacher said for Legal to get how the system works, and not what the system has produced. So a critique on the legal system is good - while knowing that some person murdered their wife is less useful.

To get band 6, relate it, especially with Economics, to the current situation. In Legal, my class has a system going where one person will get the weekend newspapers only - and we rummage through them during class getting a file of articles. Economics is something else, not sure how that'll work yet.

~caramello~

HSC
i dun see the point of spending an hour on news sites every day. I did economics and i just flipped through the papers mostly reading headlines news on recent economic issues. Flip through the business sections (some of ross gittins articles are good) and just cut out the articles i like and think i could use. If you do economics just make sure you can relate the stuff you learn to the recent economic condition and support it with stats.

Willba16

HSC
Hey, i do business, geo and legal, and as i know how important keeping an eye on current events is, i just use Bigponds news ticker, it just sits at the bottom of the screen and any interesting article headline i see while im browsing facebook/Bos, i read it. I find it really effective as i usually spend +-30 mins on computer a day.

Hope this helps, it sure does for me.

Rage01

HSC
For Eco, you should know eco growth rate, unemployment rate, CPI, inflation rate and budgetary outcome.

For the rates, get one from midpoint/begining of the year and then the most recent one you can find when you're about to do your HSC. That way you can compare how theyve changed throughout the year based on the government's actions

0bs3n3

HSC
For Eco I just read the Business/Finance section in the paper. Not really for study, but out of interest/habit. Read the paper most days.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
the teacher gives me current statistics for economics so i dont read newspapers. sorry, newspapers isn't my kind of thing

HSC
I did legal for my hsc.
yeah i watched the news almost every night, not exaggerating lol.
And occasionally I might flick through a newspaper.
I prefered having up to date cases =P haha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)