Students who do harder maths/physics vs. normal maths/physics (1 Viewer)

Dt 08

HSC
hey

how many ppl do harder maths/physics compared to normal maths/physics in unsw for engo. just curious to see how well u have to rank to do the harder ones. i fink i mite have the marks to but from the stories i am hearing normal maths n physics seem hard enough.

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
imo its a question of interest. Do you enjoy maths and physics?

Dt 08

HSC
well i enjoy maths and physics but not the really crazy stuff that gives you headaches =p

how do maths and physics in uni compare ta ext 2 n physics in da hsc?

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
first 3 weeks of math 1a covers complex numbers, then its grand stuff from there on.

Physics in uni makes hsc physics look like a history lesson. It is heavily based on calculations, like explaining mathematically how a boat got from one shore to another by taking into account wind speed, water current, and a few other factors, rather than how Einstein came up with the theory of relativity.

Dt 08

HSC
o_O a credit congrats. havent heard too many ppl getting them

uni maths n physics seems realy different from wat ive read i guess.

are the classes for harder maths n physics the same as normal maths n physics except for the assessments?

Dt 08

HSC
thanks for the advice so far guys

hmmz well rite now im considerin civil engineering. i rekon i proly will do harder physics for now but still undecided about harder maths. besides being of interest to me, is der any benefit in the long term ?

oh yeh im doing combined engineering/commerce, so will it also affect me later on in my degree?

Iruka

HSC
N/A
Higher and ordinary maths in first year are not that different - basically the same material is covered, but the approach is a bit more abstract in higher maths.

The gap between the higher and ordinary gets much bigger in 2nd and 3rd year, so by the end of the degree, if you've done the higher subjects you have probably seen the equivalent of at least an extra years' worth of mathematics.

So whether you should take higher or ordinary depends on what you are planning to do with your degree. If you just need the maths as a pre-req for civil engineering, I don't think you need to do higher. But if you wanted to major in maths it would probably be a good idea.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)