study food and exercise (1 Viewer)

*Ninny-mole*

The Power Is Yours...
HSC
Okay, I was just wondering what kind of food, if any, people ate while studying. I really need energy food and so far, all I have had are things full of sugar, which is obviously not a healthy choice. I was just wondering if there was any "good", nutritious food that people would recommend.
As well, does anyone find that exercise is stress relieving? I just did an hour on my machine and I feel great now. How much exercise do people recommend during exams????

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Apples,

Whatever amount of exercise is normal and that helps you de-stress, as long as you don't over do it.

crimsonking

HSC
Food: just eat normally, I have noticed that I cook more (if marinating chicken and BBQing it counts), while studying, I don't really have any 'food', just drinks - mainly tea, water and sometimes juice

Exercise: I hate the word. My mentor recommended that I excercise 1 hour a week (in PE we got tuaght that you are supposed to exercise 1 hour everyday), just depends on who you are.

I find just relaxing with my friends and having a smoke better than exercising, but then again, different strokes for different folks.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
*Ninny-mole* said:
Okay, I was just wondering what kind of food, if any, people ate while studying. I really need energy food and so far, all I have had are things full of sugar, which is obviously not a healthy choice. I was just wondering if there was any "good", nutritious food that people would recommend.
As well, does anyone find that exercise is stress relieving? I just did an hour on my machine and I feel great now. How much exercise do people recommend during exams????
when you're tired or very stress, just take one of those 'power naps' for 20mins - you know when you fall in a very light sleep, but you're still aware of you're surroundings.

priesty

formerly wm_abusef
HSC
those power naps can be amazing..... wake up 20minutes later and you can go on for another 48hours... lol

try to stick to healthier foods. red meat is very important too.

****alyssa****

HSC
grapes and little pieces of fruit while your studying :D
lol i mostly eat jellybeans and chewy, but the fruit things good too ;]

Season

HSC
Have you hear of swiss coffee?? its so nice. I honestly don't know how I'd study without it.

This probably sounds weird but before every exam I eat some chocolate. Chocolate gives you an energy boost for about 50-70 minutes or so. Which is about the length of my assessment tasks.

Food sort of distracts me though, so if its there I usually forget about it lol

sinist4

HSC
jelly babies rule!!!!!!!
dont forget "SUGAR" stimulates the brain rofl

just counter balance the amount of sugar in your body with glass's of water...hehehe

okay enough talking shit ...
i'd say eat wat eva you want to, if it makes you happi then go for it
but in terms if drinks, i'd recommend a glass of sydney water :D

Last edited:

lilkiwifruit

HSC
N/A
I usually eat those all natural lollies and when I'm stressed, I drink heaps of water...does anyone else have that problem?

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
wm abusef said:
those power naps can be amazing..... wake up 20minutes later and you can go on for another 48hours... lol
I agree with that, those power naps refresh my brain and keeps me awake and ready to study for longer.

As for food, I stick with fruit while studying, and if I'm really hungry, I'll go make myself a sandwich.

sinist4

HSC
^ you no wats bad about nuts, once you start eating em you cant stop LOL
(nuts are serious addictive LOL, esp peanuts)

Riviet

HSC
N/A
I basically do no excercise during exam period, too busy studying/cramming. As for food, biscuits and fruit keep me active in my studies especially during this trial period.

priesty

formerly wm_abusef
HSC
Riviet said:
I basically do no excercise during exam period, too busy studying/cramming. As for food, biscuits and fruit keep me active in my studies especially during this trial period.
excersize is pretty important though. keeps the blood flowing to your brain so that you are more alert and able to concentrate and focus. our pd/h/pe teacher always told us to go for a light jog even for 15minutes before study if we could. yeh it is hard to keep motivated to do that, but i guess it could work well. :)

ImSoHot

HSC
Exercise is really good for relaxation and maintaining energy levels and increasing concentration, and also helps you get a good nights sleep (which is really important for effective brain functioning). This year I've been exercising no where near as much as I usually do, but I atleast try to get in 10-15 minutes of walking everyday, even if it's just a walk around the block in a study break.

Umm, I never eat and study at the same time, because if you're eating you're not concentrating on your study, and if you're studying, you're not concentrating on what you're eating. So you end up eating too much and not retaining any information. Instead, I eat during study breaks to maintain my energy/blood sugar levels. When studying, your brain needs regular supplies of glucose to work efficiently. But it's best to eat complex carbs (like grainy breads and cereals) rather than simple carbs (like lollies) because the energy is realeased slower and at a more sustained rate, so you don't get that "high" then crash and burn effect after an hour, but can actually continue studying for several hours.

So yeah, I eat breads and cereals to get my brain working, apples for increasing alertness/concentration, and nuts for quick source of energy when I need food but have alot of study to do to be wasting too much time preparing and eating food.

And yeah, as general overall eating habits: also eat meat or other sources high in protein and iron regularly for energy levels, and lots of fruit and veg for nutrients (keep you from getting sick when you're over-stressing).

Hope that helped :p Ha.

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
during the HSC i went for a run everyday. i still do it now at uni, during stuvac. its not for exercise really. i run to clear my mind and de-stress.

when i was doing the HSC, my mum took time off work to make me food and stuff. it didnt really work coz i wasnt home all that much to eat the food she made. but she made LOTS of fruit salad, which for some reason, i craved all the time. other than that, i didnt really see the benefits of eating really healthily. i didnt want to change my diet a whole lot because i was afraid it was screw with my body. so i still snacked on chocolate and biscuits.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
i should probably change my study food habits...at the moment studying for trials its been lots of coffee interspersed with the odd piece of fruit when my body tells me its dying of caffeine poisoning, lol. *looks pointedly at the mug of nescafe beside her*....exercise wise im okay... i have to get up and stretch and run around every 2 hrs or so or i go crazy from being stationary that long...so all up im probably getting half an hour of exercise a day just from doing that :D

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
*Ninny-mole* said:
I heart the exercising thing before studying, gets my brain kicking....
As for food, ZOMG... roasted salted cashew nuts, fruit and yoghurt and cheese and crackers

shimmy&shine

HSC
I drink lots of water. I hate coffee, green tea is what i rather drink.

I don't know whether this is overboard, but i line up about 8 glasses of water in the kitchen, and throughout the day i drink one by one, making sure that i've finished 8 glasses. lol, prob because elle macpherson said to do so for nicer skin, but anyways, it's good for the body.

and the brain... keeps it moist!

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
During exam period.

Drink lots of water! (Except before an exam).
Generally I don't tend to worry about what I eat as long as I'm happy to eat it and that it won't give me a stomach ache or indigestion. Can't imagine doing an exam and having a stomach ache.

For exercise, I wouldn't suggest bulking, just cardiovascular exercises like running to wake you up and get some fresh air into you. Stretching helps too.

If you need energy, a hot herbal tea or coffee is good, or a healthy energy bar.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)