Study Hours? (1 Viewer)

Revolution

HSC
Hey, I'm new 'round here, and I have to say this forum looks like it'll be very useful for me leading throughout the rest of this year (I'm in Year 12 at Chevalier College, Bowral, NSW...). Just wanted to ask, what is the recommended study hours on a daily basis? Right now I'm studying for about an hour a night (divided into two 30 minute sessions) but I plan on increasing that in the near future (which is why I'm asking here what hours I should be studying and in what timeframe, etc). How long off between study sessions should I have for maximum efficiency? Should I study later at night or straight after school? And should I study equal amounts all days of the week, or alternate between 'light' and 'heavy' days of studying? Cheers. :]

Last edited:
HSC
If you're in yr12 you'd be getting your half yearlies around now, right now I'm clocking up 2.5-3hrs of heavy study plus another 2hrs on computer doing business report + chem miniassignment and theres no chance ill finish this by 10pm :(

If you got shitloads of time 'till your half yearlies, my advice is start A.S.A.P., and if you plan out too study what you've learnt since term 4 you'll find yourself very busy

Revolution

HSC
Casmira said:
If you're in yr12 you'd be getting your half yearlies around now, right now I'm clocking up 2.5-3hrs of heavy study plus another 2hrs on computer doing business report + chem miniassignment and theres no chance ill finish this by 10pm :(

If you got shitloads of time 'till your half yearlies, my advice is start A.S.A.P., and if you plan out too study what you've learnt since term 4 you'll find yourself very busy
Half yearly exams are in around 4 weeks, so I will begin 'heavy' studiy right around now :] Thanks for the advice, btw.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
mine are in week 10

i have no idea what's going on in any of my topics. ahh!

25 hrs a week, assuming you take the recommended day off, that's like 4 and some hours a day right? christ. sometimes i get in 4 hours a week. this'll be apparent when we get our results and you've all kicked my ass :p

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
"Maximum" study timetable for me:
3:30pm - get home. Study until 6pm with breaks in between
6-8pm - dinner, BoS, TV
8-11pm - study.

I've really only done this once or twice...and I've found it doesn't work unless I'm in the mood for studying (i.e. when I feel motivated). My school recommend 3 hours per weekday...so I guess that'd be around 20-25 hours per week (incl. weekends)

SiReN

HSC
my half yearlys are on NOW! 3 down another 3 to go!
well im very ashamed to say i havnt really studied, i feel like a lazy fcuk and so pissed off with myself! :eek:
But this will be a lesson to learn i guess.....latley though when i come home and hit the books i liturally just fall asleep...my head just goes downnn :sleep:
arghh!

Danoz The Great

HSC
On top of homework, I do one hours study per day (One subject per day over six nights)

But I find I half it on Saturday, due to 1 unit religion. I could do an hour, but the works easy and there's half a workload, so half the time.

Danoz The Great

HSC
Trev said:
Omg, you are all making me feel bad :p
I haven't started studying at all let alone reguarly, it's hard enough for me to do the homework :eek:
Trev's been caught doing maths hw in english, sorry trev, I thought it was funny

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
dani_danoz said:
Trev's been caught doing maths hw in english, sorry trev, I thought it was funny
I do other homework in my Maths class as well. My teacher said "as long as I don't see it, it's ok. If I see you doing other work, I'll have to confiscate it". So I just hide my Business/Chem/English work under my maths book and it's all good... :)

hasterz

HSC
for me this varies as i get closer to assesments.... the week be4 i can clock 8-10 hours a day, but other times about 2 or 3 hours max, i just study 4 unit maths and do the hw in other subjects.

Danoz The Great

HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
I do other homework in my Maths class as well. My teacher said "as long as I don't see it, it's ok. If I see you doing other work, I'll have to confiscate it". So I just hide my Business/Chem/English work under my maths book and it's all good... :)
Trev does the opposite - he does maths hw in every other subject...

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
dani_danoz said:
Trev does the opposite - he does maths hw in every other subject...
Whoops...lol :p
I always do my other homework in maths coz of the very fact that I can't concentrate on maths at school. To do maths, I usually need a quiet environment - something I usually don't get at school :)

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
I dont do any homework at home (unless its maths) and just focus on the next assessment.
On average, I'm trying to study 2-3 hours - consistently after school! And in my free period, I TRY to do hw, even though chatting to friends is more distracting..

Before my trials (which will be next term) i'll try to do 40hrs a week, and on top of that working on the weekends =(

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
amoz_lilo said:
I dont do any homework at home (unless its maths) and just focus on the next assessment.
On average, I'm trying to study 2-3 hours - consistently after school! And in my free period, I TRY to do hw, even though chatting to friends is more distracting..

Before my trials (which will be next term) i'll try to do 40hrs a week, and on top of that working on the weekends =(
Trials next term already?
Isn't that a bit early? I was under the impression that everybody's trials were held around August (~ Wk 3 Term 3).

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
ours are week 2-3 term 3, next term (unless it's right at the end) is reeeeally early!

amoz unless your family is relying on you working to eat, seriously, take the trials etc off. i already told work i'm not working from easter sunday - wednesday 6th, ie 2 days before assessment period til the day it finishes. i plan to do that for every assessment period ESPECIALLY trials. i mean sif a weekend job is worth giving up valuable study time for.

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
Ours are term 2 week 8+

Argh and they have to squeeze in the economics syllabus before it so they get it covered in the exams =/

I'm not relying on it to eat so i think concentrating on studying without distractions is the main problem! =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)