STUDY NOTES for HSC (1 Viewer)

Guy_0

HSC
heys...does anybody have some study notes for the visual arts? any notes would be nice since our art teacher has not given us any good notes for the exams....we've onli been doin our major work...
-thanks-

xox_eMz_xox

HSC
you would of had to have studied some artists already its part of the hsc course to have so many case studies and all that done..

lislabella

sunshine
HSC
the "revise visual arts in a month" excel study guide is helpful...
you're best to just look over your case studies and use your textbook.
our teachers tell us to know 3 artists and 1 or 2 of thier artworks plus 2 or 3 separate artworks, that should keep you covered in an exam... make sure you have a quick look over some past papers, look at section two and some of the essay questions.
for section one its important to know how to deconstruct an artwork using the frames (structural, subjective, cultural, post modern) conceptual (the agencies) and artists practice, you also need to know these for section two as the questions fall under these three categories.

Tingaling

HSC
i read that text as well.. but its really vague!

if you want to go in depth.. read your notes from class and your text books. that book is just a very obscure summary of whats in the whole of hsc visual art ..

useful, but if you want to do really well.. then read more then just that!!!

nwatts

HSC
yesgentlemen said:
two words: bill henson.
if he isn't in the HSC exam i'd be very surprised
He was in my trial. :) Plus, he's a brilliant photographer... so why not study him anyway?

I tend to lose marks in an art exam for two reasons -
1st - I don't stick to the question. I tend to find myself a thread that has a lose connection to the question and go from there. I find that art exams are different to english exams in that they require far more attention to the specific requirements of the question. I've written 101 practice english exams but only two or so art ones, which is reflected.
2nd - My art teacher and I don't get along. She knows it's my paper, I get marked harder. I'll usually have opposing views to her, and make effort to support, but they will be ignored. I don't whine about it (any more!), but I know it happens.

However, my detail in terms of artists/artworks seems fine (according to my teacher, which is a surprise, as well as other markers). My study practice involves:
- Picking one or two artists from each movement/period. Outlining the period - example: Dada - absurdist pathway to surreal movements, "art for art's sake". Giving some context - came from post-war times, heavy cynical views, etc.. Outline artists and their practive - Man Ray used experimental photography/light sensitive materials, heavy on shadow and contrast, similar to german expressionist filmmakers. Duchamp did crazy things, etc.. I'll usually write a 1 page sheet for each movement, with a few pictures.
- Come close to exam time, choose 6 and study in further detail. I'll choose these six on how well they link together. Example: in trials, I did Da Vinci - Renassance humanist values - Man Ray - using the female body in new ways - Orlan/Stelarc - exploring the body and its limits, somewhat opposing the 15th century views. Back to Da Vinci - uses specific techniques of blurring 'stufmato' and other methods of detail - Bill Henson - uses very similar techniques (I have a quote from him about it) in photography - reflect on photography in general, how much of it takes from past movements but uses a new medium. I only used 5 in the exam, but it meant that I have extra room to debate. For the HSC i'm likely to pick many new ones (i'll keep Da Vinci/Man Ray) because I found my discussion a little too limiting.

I'd like to hear how others organise notes and such too. :p If anyone can give any tips on methods of gaining marks in the art exam, I'd be keen to listen too!

googooloo

HSC
You should make sure you have 3 aristis and 3 works for each artist for each frame including the conceptual, my teacher gets my class always to know 3 artists and 3 work for each and has made us write many essays or do heaps of plans for all the areas.

Insouciance

HSC
yesgentlemen said:
Hopefully; one of my artists is Henson. :)

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
The HSC exam would have been finalised at leat 6 months ago. They start drafting it in October-Nov of the year before. So i doubt the contents of trial papers wil affect the HSC questions.

Alvinate7

yesgentlemen said:

Um, My art teacher said that it would be unlikely that Bill Henson will be in the HSC as he was already in both the catholic and independent trial. I think so too, which is good cause then I can use him in section 2.

lislabella

sunshine
HSC
Insouciance said:
Hopefully; one of my artists is Henson. :)

are you guys told not to talk about section one artists in section two?

its a good thing to remember picasso's demoiselles d'avignon... because it was a major turning point in the artworld and if you are unsure of the style of the year mentioned in the citation you can look at the artwork and say "it's post picasso's les demoiselles d'avignon......"

thats my random thought for a monday evening

xox_eMz_xox

HSC
Some people use artists from section 1 mainly because they havnt studied so they use the information there. My teacher said your very lucky to get your artist you've studied in the first section but if you write about them in section 2 make sure you show alot more detail so the marker knows for sure you knew about them before hand, she said she marked alot of essays where people just copied from section 1, some people are pretty dumb if they think the markers wouldnt notice.

hipPo3

HSC
mine:

Stellarc (very post modern)
Da Vinci
Goldsworth (for installation)
Whitely

very generic .. i sux at the art thoery :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)