"Study" Periods. (1 Viewer)

NewiJapper

HSC
Yes, those. The periods technically called study periods which are colloquially known as free periods in Australia. Just out of curiousty;

How many do you get at your school with the amount of units you are doing?
Does it seem fair?
Do you need more?
Do you actually use study periods to your advantage?
Are blueberry's really blue?

Sarebs

HSC
Blueberries are actually purple.

I did 10 units... had 8hrs of free periods per week. Didn't need more, only gossiped anyway, and there's only so much to talk about lol. Well I learnt a lot about people's lives, and human behaviour, but nothing about my HSC subjects.

speedofsound

HSC
i do 11 units and have about 11 free periods, but some of them are in the morning/afternoon so i just arrive late/leave early a lot of the time.

most of the time i try to use them to my advantage, finish homework or read my novels, etc. although of course, inevitably, i do get sidetracked on occasion. especially considering half of my friends have frees at the same time... :)

iMAN2

HSC
N/A
Did 13 units. Accelerated 2 units of chemistry in year 11 and then did philosophy distinction course outside of school. So in year 12 at school I had 9 units so about 14 free periods a fortnight.

They were good at relieving the stress i'll tell you that :p ahaha but yea use them wisely..make yourself do 2 past paper questions (sciences) or half a paper (maths) every 'free' period and over the year these will make a huge difference!

Don't leave past paper questions to the last. In your mind you'll be making excuses, "Oh, but we haven't even covered the whole syllabus yet". Emerge through this barrier, go through questions which relate to your current topics. It will reinforce your learning whilst enabling you to mould your answers to test question scenarios (which is extremely important!).

Creelman's a good book for this sort or for maths use the SuccessOne which has topics sorted in the table at the front (and you can reuse this same book for practice exam papers down the track). The Phoenix questions by topic are also quite good.

hairspray

HSC
I did 11 units and I got 8 hours of free periods each fortnight and on many days I get to leave at 12.10pm... these study periods are absolutely pointless! My study period had about 35-40 people (it was the shittest line ever) & we had the loudest study periods ever. On monday and Tuesday free periods we'd talk about what we did on weekends and on the other days we talk about what we're gonna do on the weekends... bottom line they were pointless unless u're a loner/ emo child.

iMAN2

HSC
N/A
mmmz heaps of people used free periods to relax and vent off, have a chat, myself included. This worked very effectively if you ended up doing work at home. Some people like having people around them when they're working. Others are more independant.
It all depends on how you best work and maintain focus.

biopia

WestSyd-UNSW3x/week
HSC
In year 11, I did 14 units, and I only had 100 minutes of study periods ever two weeks. You can imagine I didn't use them for anything productive. Mostly, I used those two periods to sleep.
After I dropped one subject and sacrificed some lunch times for extension, I had about 8 hours every two weeks, plus I got to leave early 4 days of the two week cycle. Still, Monday, Tuesday and Fridays, I had to be at school at 7:25 a.m. :S Fridays were the worst... Literally an 8 hour school day :( I am so glad it's over. It was worse in year 11 though. I had 2 days a week of 8 hour school days with no study periods.

For me, I was disciplined enough to do work at home, so I used my study breaks (in year 12) to relax a bit. I used some to do some photography stuff which was relaxing. Others I just sat around with my friends. Although, other times I would use the study periods to study if I had a test coming up or whatever. I think it depends how disciplined you are :/

posey-rose

The lost member
HSC
i did ten units, i had two full days a week (monday and thursday), on tuesday i had double free, and then on wednesday i ahd one class and the rest of the day off, and friday i had only two classes and the rest of the day off.

Free periods are a blessing if you have major works,

one thing that i've noticed during the hsc the more time i have the less work i actually did, so i think i should have done an extra unit or so to keep me a tad more productive...

I really liked having practically two school days off a week, i'd pretty much catch up on sleep and relax... not much study.

blueberries are a bluey purple.

suling

HSC
I am doing 11 units and have 16 free periods..but probably less next year when we actually sort out Hist. Ext. properly..

I only have so many because one of my subjects is a distance ed. course (Food Tech)..which is pretty easy

I usually end up doing work in mine..pretty much because there is no one to talk to..

Essjaybee

HSC
I do 10 units now so i have 6 study periods (80 mins each) a fortnight.

They're all either last or first period so i can leave early. One day i can leave at 11:10, and another i have school for 2 hours.

But if i have a free morning period i go to school normal time and do hw for other subjects in the period.

My leave early periods i sometimes use to study, but sometimes i go home.

If i have someone really distracting with me i get sidetracked and have fun. If not, a get a lot of work done. Even if it is just revising to understand concepts more.

Nyxie

HSC
I do eleven units--- and I have 12 free periods a fortnight. I actually do use my free periods to study- as I have four major works that I'll have to use for year 12 (ext.2 english, art major, ext. history major, society PIP) so I'll need every free moment...

x jiim

zimbardooo.
HSC
Uni Grad
one thing that i've noticed during the hsc the more time i have the less work i actually did, so i think i should have done an extra unit or so to keep me a tad more productive...
it's so true. except I need massive amounts of work to get me started properly =\ I do 14units, and have 10frees a fortnight, plus morning class at 8am twice a week. The frees are meant to be for german, which I do distance ed, but I always end up doing maths cause there's so much of it ><

irvine

USYD 2011 :D
HSC
10 units = 20 free periods a fortnight

generally we work on 4U problems together or we just talk shit for 50 minutes :D

ClintonM

HSC
I have 11 units, and get 3 hours off a fortnight. Seems a bit unfair to me, seeing how some of you are getting 8. :jedi:

what!

HSC
i have 27 free periods per fortnight which accounts to 45% of school. i do 9 units this year as i did 5 units of accelerated subjects already :) hoepfully i will productively use these times...

gella

HSC
im doing 13 units and have no free periods at all. this, however, doesn't bother me at all, as 30 or so students are crammed into a room and told to "study". is this effective? no.

BHS10

Shining Down On You.
HSC
10 units. 13 frees a fortnight, however they haven't come into effect yet cos we still have to go to the classes we chose to drop, i think we'll stop going to them next week or something

Arceupins

Banned
HSC
10 units and I get 8 hours off a fortnight to umm, 'study'.

:rofl:

blackforest

HSC
13 units, 10 frees in a fortnight.

people that do 12 units also get 10 frees, since my other 1 unit are in the morning, outside of timetabled times.

I'd rather have a 3-4 solid 2 hr blocks of free period than 10 45 minute ones. 45 mins fly so quick, and you can focus more if you have a solid 2 hour block of free periods to study.

strasiotto

HSC
I do 13 units, I get 5 frees a fortnight (about 250 min)

If I have work to do, I do it. Otherwise I just screw around, chuck stuff around the room, talk a heap, what ever.

We have some kids getting as much as 22 frees a fortnight- which annoys me (but I guess I can't complain as I was the one to choose 13 units).

And in contrast we have 2 guys that both do 13 units, and only get 1 free. (haha Will/ Adrian).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)