studying and stuff (1 Viewer)

accolade

HSC
Do you guys take it seriously. The work, exams and all that crap when u just cbb studying. Do u have a 'theres always next year attitude' if you know you're going to fail a course?
at the moment i cbb studying or anything and just want this year to get over with. ..........................and i feel guilty.

drewbrow1

(Ninja)
HSC
accolade said:
Do you guys take it seriously. The work, exams and all that crap when u just cbb studying. Do u have a 'theres always next year attitude' if you know you're going to fail a course?
at the moment i cbb studying or anything and just want this year to get over with. ..........................and i feel guilty.

Hard work pays off later, procrastinations pays off now :)

Try to hit the optimum point in the effort:marks relationship.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
i can never be bothered. ive never had a proper study plan, not even for the hsc. i cant just sit there for hours and study, i get distracted/bored too easily. now when the time has come that i need do pull out some epic study, i cant, because im not used to it.

also i'll probably fail 2 of my subjects, and pass 1, and probably credit or maybe distinction in the other.

and yes, i do feel extremely guilty and pissed as hell, knowing that im gonna fail 2 of my subjects, one (math1b) of which will severly disrupt my holiday plan of going to denmark, since i'd need to repeat it in summer sesh, since 3 of my bloody 2nd year courses have it as a prereq... :(

Last edited:

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
回复: Re: studying and stuff

Omie Jay said:
i can never be bothered. ive never had a proper study plan, not even for the hsc. i cant just sit there for hours and study, i get distracted/bored too easily. now when the time has come that i need do pull out some epic study, i cant, because im not used to it.

also i'll probably fail 2 of my subjects, and pass 1, and probably credit or maybe distinction in the other.

and yes, i do feel extremely guilty and pissed as hell, knowing that im gonna fail 2 of my subjects, one (math1b) of which will severly disrupt my holiday plan of going to denmark, since i'd need to repeat it in summer sesh, since 3 of my bloody 2nd year courses have it as a prereq... :(
Wow we're on the same path.
Fuck this I'm getting pissed this Saturday.
We got a week for MATH 1B.

I missed the Chuck Norris hijacks on the MATS1101 discussion board.
Good times.
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

P.S. In fact we could start Chuck Norris hijacks around here if you like, you have the honour.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
Re: 回复: Re: studying and stuff

if chuck norris taught math 1b, then no one would fail it. this is only due to the fear of facing chuck norris if they do fail.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
Re: 回复: studying and stuff

Once Chuck Norris wins the 2008 US presidential election, all the world problems will cease to be.

[i should be studying or writing my report now, this is the effect Chuck Norris has on people]

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
Re: 回复: studying and stuff

Hey Forbidden, do u do mman1300? [edit: number was wrong..]
Apparantly theres an answer sheet going around with answers (woo!) to the elearning tutorial thingo for mman1300 (mechanics).
Do u have this? If so, can u pm me the answers?

Last edited:

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
hi there

as someone who failed higher physics 1b last year in s2, i'll give you some tips:

1. summer session sucks. seriously, there's nothing worse than coming to uni 2-3 days per week for the best part of 3 months when everyone else is having an awesome chilled-out time. this should be enough to get you locking yourself in your room cramming right now, but anyway i'll press on...

2. if you haven't been to many lectures or tutes, then start doing tute questions today. learning stuff for the first time takes longer than you think, and you can't cram an entire course in 2 days. (2 days for pure revision is okay - but not learning for the first time). aim to cover one tute every day or two (depending on when the exam is). as you go through, don't peek at the worked solutions, but if you don't know how to do something, skim the lecture notes to understand the concept behind the question.

3. in the exam, even if you don't have the first clue how to do the question, if you can describe the related concepts then you're guaranteed at least some marks. so really try to learn the concepts if you can!

if you've left your run too late, then obviously you can go for breadth (skimming everything) or learning fewer topics in greater detail. the second option is always better (this is where lecture attendance helps, because you know what topics the lecturer has spent ages explaining).

good luck everyone, and don't give up hope just yet!

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
回复: Re: 回复: studying and stuff

Omie Jay said:
Hey Forbidden, do u do mman1300? [edit: number was wrong..]
Apparantly theres an answer sheet going around with answers (woo!) to the elearning tutorial thingo for mman1300 (mechanics).
Do u have this? If so, can u pm me the answers?
Nah man I do CVEN1300.

ianc said:
hi there

as someone who failed higher physics 1b last year in s2, i'll give you some tips:

1. summer session sucks. seriously, there's nothing worse than coming to uni 2-3 days per week for the best part of 3 months when everyone else is having an awesome chilled-out time. this should be enough to get you locking yourself in your room cramming right now, but anyway i'll press on...

2. if you haven't been to many lectures or tutes, then start doing tute questions today. learning stuff for the first time takes longer than you think, and you can't cram an entire course in 2 days. (2 days for pure revision is okay - but not learning for the first time). aim to cover one tute every day or two (depending on when the exam is). as you go through, don't peek at the worked solutions, but if you don't know how to do something, skim the lecture notes to understand the concept behind the question.

3. in the exam, even if you don't have the first clue how to do the question, if you can describe the related concepts then you're guaranteed at least some marks. so really try to learn the concepts if you can!

if you've left your run too late, then obviously you can go for breadth (skimming everything) or learning fewer topics in greater detail. the second option is always better (this is where lecture attendance helps, because you know what topics the lecturer has spent ages explaining).

good luck everyone, and don't give up hope just yet!
I knew it.
I shall not fail MATH1231 for summer or any other subject.

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
Re: 回复: Re: 回复: studying and stuff

i guess the problem with maths is that it is so dependent on the tutor and lecturer - if you aren't blessed with the likes of peter brown, milan pahor, daniel chan (i'm sure there are other good ones too...) - then it is much more time consuming understanding everything on your own

so time to get off bos and start doing work :)

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
回复: Re: 回复: Re: 回复: studying and stuff

ianc said:
i guess the problem with maths is that it is so dependent on the tutor and lecturer - if you aren't blessed with the likes of peter brown, milan pahor, daniel chan (i'm sure there are other good ones too...) - then it is much more time consuming understanding everything on your own

so time to get off bos and start doing work :)
I have Ellis who is a contract lecturer, he's a pretty cool guy I have him for Algebra.
Chris Tisdell is the best calculus lecturer ever (but he's not in my lecture so I sneak in his).
Pahor is on holiday this semester.

Omie Jay said:
i'm cursed with the likes of chi mak and blennefaggot.
I made sure 'blennefaggot' wasn't my lecturer for MATH1231 when enrolling.
And he isn't, thank god.
But I heard Chi Mak is awesome from friends though.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
Re: 回复: Re: 回复: Re: 回复: studying and stuff

if u know what he's saying...
Chi Mak's accent is the reason i dont understand algebra.

ace

is retired
HSC
accolade said:
eventually you got to graduate. starting to perform in the last year isn't always the best of moves, especially if your school (engineering) takes all the marks of all the years to determine honours.

..... of course some schools like commerce (and maybe science?), only look at that final year to determine your honours grade. So hmm...

In any rate, try not to procrastinate excessively. There are times to procrastinate, during the exam period isn't (but inevitably probably is) one of them.

accolade

HSC
omg. So first year counts towards getting honours??!?!?!
howabout if u screw up first year and then all the other subsequent years u get high marks. Is it possible to get honours?

and thanks for ur advice Ianc .

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
Re: 回复: Re: 回复: Re: 回复: studying and stuff

Forbidden. said:
I have Ellis who is a contract lecturer, he's a pretty cool guy I have him for Algebra.
This is probably a stupid question but what is a contract lecturerer?

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
回复: Re: 回复: Re: 回复: Re: 回复: studying and stuff

Omium said:
This is probably a stupid question but what is a contract lecturerer?
That is what he told me.
Notice his name doesn't appear on the CATEI evaluation forms and he doesn't appear on either Staff Directory, Graduate Student Directory or even Visitor List at http://www.maths.unsw.edu.au/students/current/help/contactshome.html

He wasn't here last semester.
He is probably a temporary.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)