Studying during the term? (1 Viewer)

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Due to the nature of the subjects I have chosen as well as the structure of my subjects at my school, I didn't really get much assignments throughout my HSC year, but I would usually make notes for the science subjects at the end of each week as opposed to every day, and I would write it on paper-for me, it helped a lot with my memory. But basically during the school term
1)I would assign at least 90 minutes of rest after school-so it is like 30 minutes for afternoon tea and 1 hour for dinner, I would make a to-do list of all the things I needed to do that day-preparation for assessment, homework and study(extra questions), it is usually on the subjects I do on school that day-and the list is always slightly longer than realistically what I can achieve-because I want to push myself to maximise my time efficiency

2)I would take a 5-10 minute break for each hour of study, and during that time, I would either re-hydrate myself or procrastinate on the net to relax and refresh myself-time management and planning of each session-whether mentally or on paper is extremely crucial

3)I would write down any questions I found hard or I didn't understand, and I kind of regret the fact I didn't ask these questions the very next day, but basically I would accumulate these questions, say over a period of several weeks, by which I would then ask the teacher in one go or I would try to solve the questions myself

4)I would also try to do practice papers and past HSC exam questions on the topic I was studying for-whether it was chemistry, physics or maths as soon as possible(I.e. when I did my textbook questions as well as other extra ones)

5)I would often set aside the weekend for more intensive studying/practice/reading ahead, but in general, you have to consider whether the homework will be beneficial to your understanding-because sometimes teachers set random homework that wastes time and doesn't add to your understanding, and under these very rare circumstances, I choose not to do it because of the often significant amount of exams/assessments tasks I had to study for-prioritising is everything

But I think the most important element of studying efficiently is to listen in class to what the teacher have to say, because if you understand the content in class, you don't have to waste the time to re-learn the concepts yourself at home, and of course-you need to find a source of motivation and consistent self-discipline to ensure you consistently study very hard both during the term and the school 'holidays' to maximise your chance to getting the best ATAR possible. Best wishes for the year:)
Great tips!! I think these will help a lot of people out there :)
Out of curiosity, what subjects did you do? I'm guessing a science and English (obviously LOL)
Also, in your 5th point, you set you set the weekend aside for reading ahead. Did you actually go ahead of your class? And if you did, how would you know what the next topics were? (only because the syllabuses for my subjects are a bit waffly haha)

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
I made notes for English, Chem, Physics. For 4-unit and 3-unit, I just did all the questions in the textbook.

In essence, I spent around 40 hours for study per fortnight. I would take one or two days of per week, whenever I felt like it.

I found that my notes for Chem and Physics were not needed before HSC, because I did 10 years in past-papers each twice. Reading the marking criteria for questions and the guidelines was much more beneficial than reading notes.

However, I will need the notes for when I am starting uni for Chem and Physics.

The process of making notes is also very beneficial and helps you retain information really easily, without having to ROTE learn anything. I strongly recommend you make notes. The only time I read over my notes was just before topic tests and the trials. When it came to HSC, I already had the info, just needed to improve my answering techniques.

In English, I would make notes in class as the teacher is one of the best resources you can get.
Just before an English exam, I would practice past papers under timed conditions and stuff. This repetition process is advantageous and actually can prevent you from re-writing pre-written essays.

Good Luck.
40 hours study a fortnight? Is it purely study (cos WOAH) or does that include homework/working on assessments as well?
I'm definitely looking at doing past papers (when the time comes). Did you do them as you learnt new things or just after you finished a topic and plucked out all the questions that you know you could do?
For English study, did you also practice writing lots of creatives and essays? Curious to know how much people prepped for English!

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A
40 hours study a fortnight? Is it purely study (cos WOAH) or does that include homework/working on assessments as well?
I'm definitely looking at doing past papers (when the time comes). Did you do them as you learnt new things or just after you finished a topic and plucked out all the questions that you know you could do?
For English study, did you also practice writing lots of creatives and essays? Curious to know how much people prepped for English!
Is 3 hours after school and 6 hours in the weekend too much study for someone who is in year 9???????

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
That's a week, but more for the later stages of the HSC when you have so much content to go over. I would say 40 hours a week is the average for anyone aiming for an ATAR of 95+.

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
Is 3 hours after school and 6 hours in the weekend too much study for someone who is in year 9???????
That's about 3 hours too much after school and 6 hours too much on the weekend.
Seriously, years 9, 10 and to some extent year 11 mean jack shit. Just chill out before you start senior years.

iEatOysters

HSC
None of my subjects have assignments (thank god), so I make notes and write essays + creatives throughout the term.

timeflies

HSC
That's about 3 hours too much after school and 6 hours too much on the weekend.
Seriously, years 9, 10 and to some extent year 11 mean jack shit. Just chill out before you start senior years.
This is truth. If I could do school again, I'd pay so much less attention in those years :p They are pretty much background knowledge, the real deal only starts in the HSC.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
i have many textbooks and also have tutoring homework as well.
lol i did not touch a single textbook in year 9 or 10, besides my beloved signpost <3 but you shouldn't really need to study/revise that much do you? :/

take it easy a bit more. I wish I cared less in year 9 and 10

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Great tips!! I think these will help a lot of people out there :)
Out of curiosity, what subjects did you do? I'm guessing a science and English (obviously LOL)
Also, in your 5th point, you set you set the weekend aside for reading ahead. Did you actually go ahead of your class? And if you did, how would you know what the next topics were? (only because the syllabuses for my subjects are a bit waffly haha)
It was very easy in our school to know what the next topic was-because our school followed the syllabus order and when it doesn't, you can always ask your teacher for what your class is planning to do the coming weeks or next term. This is the second time I am answering a question about what subjects I did, probably should put it on my profile page or signature:), but I did Extension one English, extension one maths, physics, chemistry and visual arts. I set the weekend aside for reading ahead as well as finishing my assignments-it worked for me-but you know, different people different learners, so ultimately there is no set of fixed study rules for success-it is just do what works for you, keep working hard, and you will be fine:)

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
It was very easy in our school to know what the next topic was-because our school followed the syllabus order and when it doesn't, you can always ask your teacher for what your class is planning to do the coming weeks or next term. This is the second time I am answering a question about what subjects I did, probably should put it on my profile page or signature:), but I did Extension one English, extension one maths, physics, chemistry and visual arts. I set the weekend aside for reading ahead as well as finishing my assignments-it worked for me-but you know, different people different learners, so ultimately there is no set of fixed study rules for success-it is just do what works for you, keep working hard, and you will be fine:)
Ooh I do VA too! :D how did you manage time working on your BOW? I presume it was easier to go ahead for physics and chem, only because the syllabi are more structured (if you compared it to the English ones and stuff)

Thanks again for the advice!!

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Ooh I do VA too! :D how did you manage time working on your BOW? I presume it was easier to go ahead for physics and chem, only because the syllabi are more structured (if you compared it to the English ones and stuff)

Thanks again for the advice!!
Well, let's just say my English subjects and VA was an absolutely nightmare-mainly because these are the type of subjects where there seems to be no end to working an you never really know when you have finished/studied enough, because my BOW was drawings based on a synthesis of photos I took, so basically I would use Friday after school, the day where I was suppose to not have to do anything-to take photographs and work on my body of work-it was so tiring... but at the end of the year-you will be in disbelief about the amount of work you actually manage to do, and closer to assessment task, particularly if they were at the start of the term, I would devote a few days of my two week school holiday entirely to my body of work-and by whole day, I am talking about 9-5 schedule, but I think I don't regret choosing VA-it helped me keep sane with all the other academic intense subjects I was doing... actually, the easiest subject to go ahead was maths and maths extension one-you just need the textbook and off you go, physics and chem-you still have to ask the teacher for clarification -but glad my advice helped:)

I guess I did VA more out of being sentimental more than anything-since I kind of started learning art since I was three, so for me, it was more like a lifelong passion rather than a HSC subject as such.... (hence why I chose such a low scaling subject:))

sirable1

HSC
Uni Grad
Making a replica of the school timetable would be a terrific idea. Just remember to take interval breaks along the way.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Well, let's just say my English subjects and VA was an absolutely nightmare-mainly because these are the type of subjects where there seems to be no end to working an you never really know when you have finished/studied enough, because my BOW was drawings based on a synthesis of photos I took, so basically I would use Friday after school, the day where I was suppose to not have to do anything-to take photographs and work on my body of work-it was so tiring... but at the end of the year-you will be in disbelief about the amount of work you actually manage to do, and closer to assessment task, particularly if they were at the start of the term, I would devote a few days of my two week school holiday entirely to my body of work-and by whole day, I am talking about 9-5 schedule, but I think I don't regret choosing VA-it helped me keep sane with all the other academic intense subjects I was doing... actually, the easiest subject to go ahead was maths and maths extension one-you just need the textbook and off you go, physics and chem-you still have to ask the teacher for clarification -but glad my advice helped:)

I guess I did VA more out of being sentimental more than anything-since I kind of started learning art since I was three, so for me, it was more like a lifelong passion rather than a HSC subject as such.... (hence why I chose such a low scaling subject:))
Oh my gosh, I know what you mean!! !I finish a drawing and I'm picking out everything that's wrong with it and feeling the need to work on it some more. It's a serious disease :( :( How did you do art for long periods of time? I can do it in short bursts of inspiration, but I find it a struggle to continually stay focused on it. (oops)

I know what you mean about VA being a passion kind of subject...I think it subtly teachers people a lot about how our world and ideas can be constructed and it will also (hopefully) help me with my uni course too. But it's a great outlet for ideas and idk I just love it so much!!! ahhhh

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
What I mean by study is making notes, reading over textbooks, doing textbook questions, writing essays, doing maths work, etc.

Our teachers barely gave any homework and I only had 1 assignment. The rest were tests.

When it came to 3 weeks before HSC, I did around 50 hours a week (just past-paper spam).

I didn't even bother reading my notes. I learnt more new stuff from the HSC marking guidelines and sample answers.
I only read my notes before trials.

Last edited:

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Keep up the habit and lay off a bit here and there so you don't burn out. I'm guessing you want a 99.95 for med so you should be fine.

You should do HSC pathways so that you can do your subjects overtime and state rank and such.

I suggest you try and get into James Ruse, or any top 10 school so that you can get the 99.95. If you study that much in year 10 then surely you can do it!

In year 9 I did 5 hours of study a week maximum.

Last edited:

DanS

Born to do better.
HSC
Whoa! That's pretty excessive! However, in retrospection, I wish I had seen a little further ahead at that stage and got into more serious studying. As long as you can maintain it and you don't crack up after three years of it, I reckon go for it! Being proactive now and seeing what lies ahead is one of the best things you could do for yourself, along with getting good grades in year 9, 10 & 11, so when Year 12 comes along, it'll be a breeze! (Almost!)

Second thoughts... are you referring to yourself, or another student? Just noticed the wording of your question, and it doesn't imply that you are doing three hours after school and six over the weekend!:)

Either way, I reckon that if you know what's coming in Year 12 and you're prepared to study in advance... GO FOR IT!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)