Studying Hamlet as revenge tragedy (1 Viewer)

zenger69

Bok Choyer
HSC
We've spent about 10 weeks doing Hamlet at school which I think is a complete waste of time because it's discouraged as a related text because it's on the Advanced syllabus. (according to another english teacher).

But the Head Teacher is pursuing it.

So does anyone know if it's worth it to learn Hamlet or just do the minimum required in class and analyse my related texts?

shafqat

HSC
N/A
Hamlet is an excellent text, but I have heard (from hsc marker via someone else) that it really shouldn't be used as a supp text. I would focus on your own texts and mayb keep a working knowledge of Hamlet so you can have it as a back up supp text.

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
It's not so much that it's not able to be done as a supp., it's just that teachers get pissed off when you use it...they call it laziness.

_blank

HSC
Uni Grad
Yea - our class was told the same. And then our teacher made us watch a Hamlet film. T.T....this just meant more time for sleeping. I'm doing Othello as related material (which was studied in Yr 10) - but my teacher hasn't spoken to me about it being a bad choice....yet.

I suggest concentrating on your own related material - but Hamlet may stir some ideas for RT that could be applied to your texts anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)