studying (1 Viewer)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
well yeah, u would study texts, but not to the depth that the current courses have it, i mean, the extension 2 course is more like a good senior school english course

and anyway, if everyone possesed the grammer/english/watever skills by year11 and 12 as u say, then a good solution is to not make english compulsory!
mathematics isnt compulsory, yet any course in engineering, commerce, science, design and IT would need u doing maths

Morgues

Gotta agree, the lowest level of English is standard which is still very difficult
If they want to make English compulsory there has got to be a basic course that just about anyone could grasp with some work sort of like general maths

There are people at my school who are doing very well in other subjects and have really put in the effort towards standard english but just cant get the hang of it so they are left with 8 good units and 2 poor units of standard english that has to be counted and they were certainly not elligible for ESL

srini

Originally posted by Morgues
Gotta agree, the lowest level of English is standard which is still very difficult
If they want to make English compulsory there has got to be a basic course that just about anyone could grasp with some work sort of like general maths

There are people at my school who are doing very well in other subjects and have really put in the effort towards standard english but just cant get the hang of it so they are left with 8 good units and 2 poor units of standard english that has to be counted and they were certainly not elligible for ESL
i face the same problem. I have 8 units which i get into band 5 or 6 and english into band 2 haha

dissonance

yeah, I wasn't really thinking about whether or not english should be compulsory. But I can see how they came about choosing it to be. I think the study of english in senior years is "trying" to be more about teaching us to think and be able to communicate what we think and realise why we think the way we do. I'm not saying the english courses fully accomplish this however I think that is kind of what they are trying to achieve. You gotta agree that those sort of skills are much more important than anything you learn in general maths.

Although I think it boils down to the fact that the high pressured competition that is involoved with the HSC is not the best environment to truely appricieate what you learn...or even bother remembering any of it for more than a month after the HSC finishes...

...by the way the fact that so many courses have maths as a pre-requisite makes it compulsory for a lot of people by default...

I don't think that the BOS meant the standerd english course to be difficult (whether it is or not I can't say). and I don't believe that the general maths course is particularly easy either...last year I remember people complaining that the general maths course was too difficult for the candidature that would consider taking it and that it discourages these people from taking maths.....I think this is the same problem you guys have with standerd english.

Lee

i don't beleive general maths is easy -easier than maths maybe but there are some people in this world who just cxan't poick it up.

i understand english need to be compulsory as we are an english speaking nation but, yeah, it is too indepth for those who can't do esl. as far as i know standard is tha same as advanced with slightly easier texts and an easier marking scheme.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
the texts may be easier in standard, but the BoS has basically locked the standard canditure out of band5 and 6
in my opinion, it should be scaled on a different..er..scale to advanced, bcoz as we saw last yr, none of the standard results mesured up to advanced results (obviously), so next to no one got in band5, let alone band6
if general maths is scaled independantly, why cant standard?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Because general maths is not taken by everyone doing the HSC, whereas the area of study common paper is, and it is that common paper which is used to align the marks on the standard and advanced papers.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
my opinion is that it shouldnt b that way
AOS should b different exams entirely for adv and std

im jess

nah i like it the same.... you can sort of see where you (the standard people like me) stand against all of the advance people... :)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
yeah but dont u find yourself disadvantaged because u kno u wont be able to compete against the top advanced ppl? (no offence at all, im jus goin on statistics from last yr)
i dun have any argument here, its just my opinion/feeling

a question, if did standard, would i automatically get lower marks than if i did advanced, assuming i performed at the same level in both?

Soap

HSC
normally i dont start homework until at least 6:00 unless its really important because i've just come home from school and i want a break but i do get two subjects in a night. Anymore and the stuff i learn seems to leave my head... (through osmosis? :))

and minai you're beating me by 1 in the 2u rakings, but i did come up 20 places since the last assessment :D

Last edited:

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
yeah soap, and i DROPPED 20 places basically.... :(

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
a question, if did standard, would i automatically get lower marks than if i did advanced, assuming i performed at the same level in both?
Difficult question to answer - the aligned mark that the Board gives you should be the same, however you'd almost be guaranteed a lower scaled mark.

Lee

on that note, if i didbetter in standard than advanced what scaled mark would i be getting?. in ohter words is it worth my while to do advanced and suck at it or do standard and do beter at it:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)