Studying? (1 Viewer)

Shazer2

HSC
What do you do when studying? I just grabbed some notes from the resources section for business studies, printed them out and all that. What's next? Do I just read them, how can I go further?

I also downloaded a past paper. Is it a good idea to mark it myself?

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
What do you do when studying? I just grabbed some notes from the resources section for business studies, printed them out and all that. What's next? Do I just read them, how can I go further?

What my Economics teacher tries to emphasise:

- The process of making the notes is much more valuable than the notes themselves.

If you make the notes yourself, it helps you memorise the content much better.

Shazer2

HSC
So I'm better off writing my own notes opposed to downloading notes other people have written? Can you answer my other questions about studying, and what to do?

HSC
Keep in mind that the business syllabus has changed...not sure if its a huge difference but get the content memorised and work on a lot of questions! I think it would be best to get it marked by your teachers so you have feedback etc :)

Shazer2

HSC
Yeah, I tried to find notes/past paper which align with the current syllabus. I think I'll rewrite my own notes. :)

Thief

!!
HSC

- Get a range of notes from the BOS resources section + your textbook
- Get the business studies syllabus
- Using the notes + textbook + plus your own class notes, write up notes going by the syllabus dotpoints
- Memorise/read over the notes, make sure you understand them
- Do past papers

deswa1

HSC
Depends on you personally. I never write notes for any of my subjects because that works for me. For others, they need to write notes to help remember the content. That works for them.

The key idea with everything in the HSC is that there is no one universally correct strategy- I break pretty much every 'suggested' studying technique from never doing papers under exams conditions and not having a study timetable because that works for me. Just try reading the notes and check if you are getting the content and then go from there

Shazer2

HSC
Yeah, I think I definitely agree with writing up my own notes. That's a great idea! What do you guys think of the excel books?

deswa1

HSC
Yeah, I think I definitely agree with writing up my own notes. That's a great idea! What do you guys think of the excel books?
Depends on the subject. Personally I don't like them- I think they are too simplistic to get top marks but this all depends on what you are aiming for. They are a good summary of the essential ideas in the course.

Shazer2

HSC
I'll just have to see how I go with plain study of notes.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
1. Make your own notes.

And do lots and lots of questions. Do all your homework, and later on re-do those questions. And then do all the past papers you can get your hands on.

such_such

HSC
Writing notes isn't sometimes the 'best' thing for someone. Like, I prefer to dive into questions rather than using time to write notes up. Because what I used to find was when I finished writing all my notes, although they were pretty and nicely structured, I couldn't really remember what I wrote.

So experiment, you've got time left, and see which one really works for you!

Shazer2

HSC
Yeah, I guess I'll soon find out what works best. I'm in exam period ATM so it's too late to do anything about it.

DeadMarine

HSC
1 - Aim for 99.95 not 75.
2 - Understand the content
3 - Do questions from past papers and textbooks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)