studying (1 Viewer)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
ok so basically i wanna know how u guys study 4 languages.

especially listening, and comprehensions. do u just learn vocab & practice? because before exams i always have trouble deciding what 2 do and so i eventually end up doing past papers, which i'm thinking is the best thing. and 4 the essays do u pre-learn sentences?

kini mini

HSC
Listening - do the exercises here, listen to French radio stations like RFI on the web, watch Le Journal on SBS :). Past papers are good if you can get hold of them.

Comprehension is pretty easy in the new HSC, just read the French papers once a week or so and you'll be fine.

I highly recommend that you do NOT prepare material for the essays - if you are not confident about your ability to synthesise you have a major problem. Practise writing essays, submit them to your teacher, identify your weaknesses and correct them. Essays should come naturally. Learn the vocabulary for your topic areas by reading all the extracts that your teacher has no dount given you, and it'll just flow out in the exam :).

parko

RN in 2007
HSC
Lots of revision!!!

I try and revise everything we do during the week. Getting the tenses right and understanding their use is a good place to start, cos from there you can extend your vocab and your skills for comprehension and writing will improve.

for listening we do the listening exercises that are on the cd with our text book (Tapis Volant 3) which are really good, as they are native speakers, speaking at normal conversational pace, which is good because it makes you think quicker. Our teacher also lets us watch DVD's in french (Amelie, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, etc) which give you a chance to listen to french being used in a different context. Plus it breaks the boredom of learning vocab all the time!!!

Our class (of 3 continuers!!) is also lucky as we have a Belgian exchange student here with us. She's a fantastic resource!!!!:D although she's leaving in July.:(

get on the web and find some french websites. read them and you'll find your reading/comprehension skills will improve. Look for sites with newspapers, magazine articles etc.

you just have to expose yourself to as much french as possible i guess. Study hard!!

eviltama

Mentally Deranged Maniac
HSC
for practising, talk to urself. I am being serious, hold a conversation with urself. It's fun and also it helps when you come to the oral exam and you have to tlak about things u like and about yourself its easier if you can do it fluently without having to think.

Also for speaking if u can get a hold of the questions they ask, it helps. For writing, i used to prepare things before hand (when i was motivated enuff to do so) so jsut pick a topic and write down everything you know abt it. Mind maps work as well. But don't just write words, write sentences. This helps when you have to argue the advantages and disadvantages, you cna brain storm them and order them before actually getting in there and writing it all out. :D

just a few ideas :cool:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)