stuffed up my first exam and probably my mid years (1 Viewer)

byebye33

HSC
I am currently doing English Advanced, Extension 2 maths, Biology and Heritage Korean

My Year 11 yearlies rank were English - 40/100 Extension 1 Maths- 4/55 Biology 20/64 and 1st for Korean (aiming for state rank in korean)

my first extension 2 exam was disastrous. catastrophic. it was such an easy task - i knew everything in there but the small mistakes and words that i did not write dragged me down to just below 70%
English i got 14/20 for my discovery essay (i didnt expect a lot from english since im so bad at it)

i am currently at the end of my mid years now and ive been suffering from severe headaches and gastritis from my extreme stress
i probably didnt do so good in the exams (i have placed in an illness form in hope of the marks scaling up at the end of the year)

im so unmotivated and disgusted with myself
i was 4th in the grade for maths. i never found maths difficult even in my preliminary years and its cutting me up really bad
every night its just crying and crying.
my final goal was to get into university of western sydney medicine and now that just seems impossible to me
everyone else seems to do fine and many seem to perform much better than yr 11
should i just leave school and find a way from tafe to uni?

can someone give me some advice please...

StudiousStudent

HSC
I am currently doing English Advanced, Extension 2 maths, Biology and Heritage Korean

My Year 11 yearlies rank were English - 40/100 Extension 1 Maths- 4/55 Biology 20/64 and 1st for Korean (aiming for state rank in korean)

my first extension 2 exam was disastrous. catastrophic. it was such an easy task - i knew everything in there but the small mistakes and words that i did not write dragged me down to just below 70%
English i got 14/20 for my discovery essay (i didnt expect a lot from english since im so bad at it)

i am currently at the end of my mid years now and ive been suffering from severe headaches and gastritis from my extreme stress
i probably didnt do so good in the exams (i have placed in an illness form in hope of the marks scaling up at the end of the year)

i was 4th in the grade for maths. i never found maths difficult even in my preliminary years and its cutting me up really bad
my final goal was to get into university of western sydney medicine and now that just seems impossible to me

Don't be so disheartened :(

I know how you are feeling now - really, I do - but if you're like me you underestimate yourself. And even though you feel as though you performed bad you probably haven't (more likely you were average).

If you bombed out in math, and went ok in the other subjects, all is good. There's plenty of time to lift your game.
If it makes you feel better, I bombed my biology half yearly.

Do not leave school. it will be a lot harder to get into medicine via TAFE.

If you leave school, you won't state rank Korean, either.

14/20 for your discovery essay is promising. I go to a selective school that's ranked quite high and I know people who done worse than that.

Stay at it - you've got this

A bit of math revision will make the world of difference :read:

leehuan

HSC

Some food for thought

If you get like 73% on the day you still look at an E4 in MX2

byebye33

HSC
really? because my tutor said i have to get at around 80% if i really want to get E4 and i know i already lost around 8 marks in my 4u mind years which drags me down to 84% already. i really need the E4. badly. and i dont go to a selective school

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC

To fix any problem there are 3 steps.

1. Identify your problems and their roots.
2. Create a solution that addresses it the root of the problem.
3. Execute.

A)
1. Stress, stemming from somewhere. Work out where.
2. Find a way to deal with it. I don't mean bottle it up though. Either find an outlet, or learn how not to stress excessively.
3. Execute

B)
1. Poor exam performance. This could be due to a multitude of things, including stress. Perhaps it is in your preparation, or exam technique etc. You need to objectively evaluate the reasons why, and you need to be honest with yourself.
2. Work out how to deal/improve whatever it is that is holding you back.
3. Execute

C)
1. Motivation. Why are you not motivated? Are you studying to get into medicine for the right reasons? Why do you want it so badly?
2. Establish firmly in your mind what it is you want to do, and why. Have faith in yourself that whatever it is, that you are capable of doing it.
3. Do it.

I know that seems harsh, but honestly you need to pull yourself together. The person best placed to help you, is always you. Have faith in yourself, and your abilities. Keep everything in perspective, and learn to compartmentalize your life. Those exams are over, and there's nothing you can do until you get the results back. So give them no thought, devote no energy to worrying about them. Instead get better. If you want ordinary results, put in an ordinary effort. If you want decent results, put in decent effort. If you want exceptional results, put in an exceptional effort. If you want extraordinary results, then the onus is on you to put in an extraordinary amount of effort.

That doesn't just mean put effort into studying. It means put effort into making sure that you aren't over stressed, put effort into being conscious of how you study, and if it's effective or not. It means put effort into making sure that at the end of the day, you are where you want to be.

lelel rant over soz
procrastination/10

byebye33

HSC
do you think its possible now to turn the tables and get a good atar at the end of the year? im really worried that even if i try now i wont get the high atar i want

leehuan

HSC
do you think its possible now to turn the tables and get a good atar at the end of the year? im really worried that even if i try now i wont get the high atar i want
Be worried, if you're still there even at the trials.

Right now, whilst it's still the half yearly phase, anything is possible if you force it to happen.

And even then, if your rank is moderate but you pulled your marks up quite significantly, you shouldn't worry either. Because trials are a good indication (they can be anywhere between 1% to 12% off your raw HSC mark typically) of your final mark.

Shuuya

HSC
Definitely! There's still several exam blocks remaining, and if you work consistently starting from now, your goals won't seem unrealistic :D

All the best, you can do this!

RyanT7

HSC
really? because my tutor said i have to get at around 80% if i really want to get E4 and i know i already lost around 8 marks in my 4u mind years which drags me down to 84% already. i really need the E4. badly. and i dont go to a selective school
You need about 70% in 4u math to get a e4

mrstripedshades

HSC
To be honest, are you sure you want to be a doctor/something requiring the medicine degree exactly? Or do you want it for the money or other reasons.

The thing is, unless you have true passion for being a doctor, surgeon etc. medicine is near impossible as not only is it one of the most demanding and loaded pathways, it's also one of the most stressful, has crazy working hours and requires an enormous amount of dedication.

Honestly you would get depressed doing it without a true passion. Also think if your passion is worth the stress of the job and actual lifestyle.

byebye33

HSC
I actually want to do it because of my passion. i know the work i have to do is not worth it if i do it for the money. I want to do it because i have a passion for it and its been something that i dreamed of since i was in year 8.

cookie_dough

HSC
N/A
Honestly you would get depressed doing it without a true passion. Also think if your passion is worth the stress of the job and actual lifestyle.
man your passion is worth your whole world. it is arguably also the only thing that led to our differentiation from other animals. So yeah it would be worth it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)