stupid marking (1 Viewer)

abdooooo!!!

Banned
i went through my trial CSSA few times and found i lost so many marks for some weird reasons.

For example:
Discuss problems associated with the uses of CFC's (2 marks)

"The use of CFCs causes the thining of ozone layer in the stratosphere, and in some cases it makes holes appear. This leads to the increase in the amount of u.v. light reaching the earth surface and has resulted in an increase risk of cancers in living organisms."

My teacher wrote on the answer: "why is ozone important? -1mark"

im like wtf. firstly the question never asked why. secondly i didn't exactly say why it is important but you can work out why is it important from when i said cancer increases because of its thining.

Another example:
Define the term - amphiprotic and use equations to describe...

"a substance which can act both as a proton donor and as proton acceptor."

My teacher wrote on the answer: "didn't explain relative to -1mark"

the question clearly says "define" not explain and the define bit is only worth 1 mark. so i didn't get any marks for writing a text book definition.

there is at least another 10 marks i lost for some weird reason.

does any of you're teachers mark like this?

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
For first one:
Discuss needs you to provide a more detailed answer. You probably need to say briefly how ozone is destroyed and why it causes cancer.

For second one:
did you use equations?
it says to use equations to describe so you need to explain why the equations show amphiprotic substances.

It is hard to scab marks in science, the most i have scabbed is about 1 mark

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
the CSSA trial is a bit dodgy on the whole.. for the first q u could have gotten the two marks by explaining 2 different aspects - eg how it releases chlorine atoms which catalyse the conversion of ozone to oxygen, not just identifying that it destroys ozone. and that ozone acts as a uv radiation shield, preventing harmful rays reaching earth and damaging life.

as for that amphiprotic question - i'm with u on that one =P

abdooooo!!!

Banned
no no no... i think you guys misunderstood what i am saying.

explaining how ozone is destroy is for the second part of that question (read question 27: analyse...) which is worth 2 marks as well. and its not like i don't have enough information in my answer that lost me my 1 mark. its because i didn't exactly say this exact words: "ozone is important because..." since my teacher wrote "why is ozone important? -1mark"

and for the second one i wrote the equation which i got 2 marks for... im not that stupid ;)

forsaken_99

I scabbed an extra 5 marks from the paper. That was because my teacher gave me the oppurtunity to show him my sources, such as that branch of chemistry question.

In my first chem test, i got an extra 13 marks, and on the second one, i got an extra 9.

Too bad i can't argue for marks on the HSC. But i could find out where they are being marked and go there to get my marks.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
ya wanna see stupid marking? have a look at the 2002 james ruse trial, i did it the other day and it was totally stupid

Skywalker

HSC
N/A
How is that stupid? The markers (I've heard) are that strict in the HSC, and if you can remember to put all that stuff in you'd get 95+ easy. I think it's good practice.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
are you talking to me or about the original question? if its directed at me, have a look at the marking scale, its so not reflective of the work needed

abdooooo!!!

Banned
let me explain again why i am not happy with the marking, since none of you can see my point.

my answer is:
"The use of CFCs causes the thining of ozone layer in the stratosphere, and in some cases it makes holes appear. This leads to the increase in the amount of u.v. light reaching the earth surface and has resulted in an increase risk of cancers in living organisms."

my teacher took a mark off me because i didn't exactly write this sentence in the way that the sample answer has it: "Ozone is important to life on Earth as it absorbs UV radiation that is damaging to living things."

surely this is not fair... how the hell is everyone suppose to express an idea with the exact words?

this crap just angers me so much, can't anyone see my point?

if they do mark like this in the HSC the top raw mark has to be below 90%

its hard enough guessing what the stupid questions want... but to write the exact words that they wanted as is just damn impossible

and can someone answer my question, does any of your teachers mark like this??? yes or no

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
prob coz you didnt use the buzz word, 'radiation'

abdooooo!!!

Banned
Originally posted by hipsta_jess
prob coz you didnt use the buzz word, 'radiation'
its not... because my teacher wrote "why is ozone important? -1 mark"

as i explained above, the question never asked why, but still you can work out why from my response.

i lost a mark because i didn't start off the sentence with: "Ozone is important..."

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
coz you didnt define ozone (and thus state its purpose and importance)

(btw, im just guessing here)

abdooooo!!!

Banned
lol

neither did the sample answer

the question is about the problem of using CFCs and not ozone... and don't say that i lost the mark cause i didn't define CFC

because i lost the mark for not saying those exact words that my teacher wrote from the sample answer

i just wanted to know that do you think this is fair or not? and does your teacher mark like this?

i don't want to repeat myself anymore... if you could just read carefully what i said... before jumping into false conclusions and trying to prove me wrong... ahh who cares :mad:

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
:rolleyes: yeah right mate... last post my ass... LoL

newais, if everyone in your school doing chem was marked as harshly for the chem trials, i dun see how it is going to ultimately affect your hsc... my chem trial marking was a bitch too, but yeah, i'm over getting pissed...

shadowRRL

HSC
I too lost around 8-10 marks for situation like this but I tell myself that maybe I should change the way I answer the question in order to get full marks in the HSC. BTW HSC is more important to me.... d-_-b

onemoreyear

the key with all these questions is to write down everything you know (within reason), so you cant get markers comments like these. basically, i would explain
- what ozone is
- why we need it and
- how it is being destroyed by CFCs (maybe talk briefly about what CFCs are/where they come from).
If there are 3 marks then this is probably what is required. If that was a one marker, then you would be okay. How many marks were allocated?

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by abdooooo!!!
i im like wtf. firstly the question never asked why. secondly i didn't exactly say why it is important but you can work out why is it important from when i said cancer increases because of its thining.
they don;t know u can work out why, you have to write everything, u can't expect the marker to say, ok they have written half the stuff, they must know it caused increased risk of cancer because somepeople WON'T know that, write ALL information

spark

Did you mention that ozone acts as a UV shield? (prevents the Earth's surface from being exposed to high levels of UV).

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)