Stupid Misconceptions About the HSC (1 Viewer)

aussie-boy

HSC
i would advise ppl to do as many units as possible... i did 13 and throughout the year my strengths and weaknesses have constantly shifted

my friend who does 10 units got screwed over by 3 u maths (like i did) - however luckily for me, it won't count

joshlols

HSC
aussie-boy said:
i would advise ppl to do as many units as possible... i did 13 and throughout the year my strengths and weaknesses have constantly shifted

my friend who does 10 units got screwed over by 3 u maths (like i did) - however luckily for me, it won't count
I would advise people to do the opposite. Most selective schools recommend 10 because of the waste of time allocated to your 'backup' units whereas you should be perfecting the 10 that will count.

HSC
A question that is often posed concerns the relationship between the number of units studied and the
UAI: ‘Do students gain a better UAI if they study more units?’ The data in Table A7 in the Appendix
show that students with high UAIs tend to have studied more than 10 units, but determining causality is
difficult. It is likely that the more academically able students complete more units, so it is not surprising
that they gain higher UAIs. On the other hand, if students only study 10 units of UAI courses and do
badly in one course, their UAIs will be depressed.
To address this question, HSC students were grouped according to their achievement in the SC
examination. What the data show is that the better students did, indeed, tend to study more units and within
each group there was a tendency for students who studied more units to obtain higher UAIs.
This does not, however, completely answer the question of causality. The relationship between number
of units studied and UAI within each group might result from personal attributes including interest,
motivation, effort and time management. One cannot assume that simply by studying more units,
one’s UAI will be increased!
This thread is meant to address misconception on the HSC, not further add to them.

Chinmoku03

Ippen, Shin de Miru?
HSC
joshlols said:
I would advise people to do the opposite. Most selective schools recommend 10 because of the waste of time allocated to your 'backup' units whereas you should be perfecting the 10 that will count.
Yeah, my school pushed for thirteen units, (Ten from your subjects, one from compulsory SOR (I) and a two unit subject as backup.) but I dropped from fifteen (XD) to ten by the end of the HSC. You should choose subjects you're confident in and use your time wisely to maximise your performance in those rather than using valuable time studying for an extra subject that possibly won't even count towards your final mark.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)