Subect Selection Choices for Year 12 (1 Viewer)

blitzacer

HSC
I'm currently doing extension maths, advanced english, japanese, economics, biology and chemistry for preliminary, and i'm doing pretty poorly at maths for the moment. The problem is i'd want to do extension for the HSC, however the stuff they teach really isn't going into my head and i'm contemplating on degrading to 2u Maths if all else fails, which means i'm going to take up a science which i both hate...i just want to know the opinions of year 12 students in both sciences now and know what they think of their subject e.g if its worthwhile, enjoyable, difficult and if it keeps them motivated.

the subject choices i'm planning to make for the hsc is 2U advanced english, 2 or 3 japanese (haven't decided yet), 2U Economics, 2 or 3 Maths and either one science (if i decide to do 2U maths)

Thanks for your opinions in advance ;o

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Biology is a very good subject, and it isn't very hard either if you apply yourself. I don't do chem however.

santaslayer

HSC
Maths will only help your UAI if you do reasonably well. If you can't get to a certain cutoff mark for maths, it'll ultimately backfire. :)

Zarathustra

Dasein
The ficticious world of subject, substance, "reaso
HSC
I do all of your subjects (except I do physics instead of Jap.). One thing I can tell you is that biology improves greatly in Year 12 whereas chem. becomes more memory intensive and not all that much more interesting:( (IMHO)
Extension maths becomes easier as you progress if you continually apply yourself (as Slide Rule said).

Slide Rule - what do you mean by understanding maths concepts? That can be said for every subject :. is a given :. can be disregarded:p Even if you understand maths concepts you are not guaranteed success - there are methods to be learnt and practice to figure out how to answer a question. Maths has little to memorise - true - but by practicng any subject you get better at it. I fail to see how it is different to physics - other than the memorisation of certain facts.

blitzacer

HSC
thanks guys, i'll see how it plays out...if i bomb out in maths....hello biology o_o

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
Originally posted by Slide Rule
Don't drop extension mathematics. It is the highest scaling subject of all of them.
dont let scaling tempt you into doing a subject. You will only benefit from the scaling if you do well.
Originally posted by ZarathustraI do all of your subjects (except I do physics instead of Jap.). One thing I can tell you is that biology improves greatly in Year 12 whereas chem. becomes more memory intensive and not all that much more interesting:( (IMHO)
Extension maths becomes easier as you progress if you continually apply yourself
i agree with this. Biology becomes alot more interesting and in depth than the preliminary course. Chemistry becomes a competition to see who can memorise the many equations that get thrown at us and the ability to reproduce them correctly in exams. Maths is one of those subjects that you need to dedicate yourself to if you want to do well-especially extansion 1. You may find that getting a tutor may help you and you wont do as bad as you think. I beleive that if you are a hard and consistent worker and your attitdues towards studying change in a positive notion, then you will do well.

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
Originally posted by Slide Rule
Don't drop extension mathematics. It is the highest scaling subject of all of them. Furthermore, conceptually you either udnerstand it or you don't. So that means that if you do enough of it you will be gaurenteed of success.
bull

i did 4u maths, 4u english, eco and biz studies..

biz being apparentli the lowest scaling course out of my electives was my best unit... and 4u maths which is apparentli the best scaling course was not even counted cuz i did 12 units...

hence dont do a subject that u think is gonna scale you. scaling onli comes into question, if ur at the same level of capability for all of the subjects. however, in reality, thats not the case. you will always get subjects dat u perform slightly better at, hence dont pick a subject cuz it scales good, pick a subject cuz u like it and u think u will do well

furthermore, if you are going to do well, ie; mid to high band 6, scaling does not even grately influence ur final mark ...

so dont fall into the trap of doing a subject cuz u htink it scales good and not even bothering with another subject cuz u think it wouldnt be counted. i know too mani pplz who have done that, and the outcome in the end is quite diff to what they predicted...

Zarathustra

Dasein
The ficticious world of subject, substance, "reaso
HSC
In another subject selection thread - I think the 90+ UAI one - truly-in-bliss said she was doing an experiment to see if doing high scaling subjects equates to a high UAI. What were your results?:p You got a fab. UAI - no - but you say it wasn't ext. 2 maths - hmmmm.

04er

HSC
i have the exact same subjects as zarathustra... and, my weakest 2 subjects are ext. 1 maths and bio! :eek: anyway, my advice is to keep everything for the time being... i took 4 unit maths on board at the start of year 12 but it just wasn't working (3 sciences is enough) - you may be surprised as to which subjects make it into ur top 10 units :)

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
Originally posted by Zarathustra
In another subject selection thread - I think the 90+ UAI one - truly-in-bliss said she was doing an experiment to see if doing high scaling subjects equates to a high UAI. What were your results?:p You got a fab. UAI - no - but you say it wasn't ext. 2 maths - hmmmm.
i dont think it does... if u do bad in it u do bad... scaling or no scaling... that was evident in my 4u maths.... i passed... but it was pretty bad so it didnt count for my uai......and i didnt get a fantastic exceptioanlly amazying uai.. just got into commerce at unsw... :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)