Subject Selection Help please (1 Viewer)

why?

• because

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • why not

• why what?

• whYMCA

• Total voters

aussienerd

Don't eat yellow snow.
HSC
Uni Grad
i plan on doing the following subjects but i'm not sure i need help

English Extension 2
General Mathematics
Biology
Chemistry
Business Services
maybe PDHPE??
/but AT LEAST 1 unit of religion is compulsory at my school
:jaw:
i love learning i love reading and writing, and i'm not crash hot on maths but i want do do something with business services or perhaps another vet course while i am doing an undergraduate degree before i get into medicine note: i have already done preliminary and part or year 12 business services via pathways

kfnmpah

HSC
Re: ooh ooh help me help me

chemistry :D
best subject ever. It truly is amazing.

biology is pretty good. year 11 is HELL boring, but stick it out, it's interesting in year 12.

not sure about anything else... sorry.
a few of my friends did EE2. They seemed to like it, just make sure you're ORGANISED and you'll be sweet.
good luck :)

EDIT: do atleast mathematics if you're going to do any form of maths! don't bother doing general

Last edited:

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
Re: english student

Don't forget that with Extension 2 comes Advanced and Extension 1.

So if you did all the units you're suggesting, you'd be doing 15...which I wouldn't wish upon anyone.

I'd say get rid of General Maths (if your strengths don't lie there), and PDHPE. From what I know, PDHPE is heavy, heavy content, so if you don't really love the course, it's probably not worth it. And maths. Well, maths is just...yeah.

Again, it's all where your strengths lie. Extension 2, well, it's incredibly hard work. And you have to commit to it and be self-motivated. There's also alot of very, very talented writers out there, and you need to feel assured that your writing would be up to that standard. Maybe write a draft or idea of a short story (assuming that's the medium you'd choose) and give it to your prospective Ext 2 teacher and ask if they think it's worth you doing the course...? Or read the previous Showcases (just to get a feel of the standard!)

Anyway, good luck with your subject choice.

nhoustonrocks

HSC
Uni Grad
Are you going into year 11 next year?

If so, you can’t do English Extension 2 until year 12, but you will need to do extension 1 english in year 11 to be eligible.

Jeee

Banned
HSC

You can only do Ext 2 English in year 12. You'll be able to select it at the end of year 11.

Schoey93

HSC

i plan on doing the following subjects but i'm not sure i need help

English Extension 2
General Mathematics
Biology
Chemistry
Business Services
maybe PDHPE??
/but AT LEAST 1 unit of religion is compulsory at my school

:jaw:
i love learning i love reading and writing, and i'm not crash hot on maths but i want do do something with business services or perhaps another vet course while i am doing an undergraduate degree before i get into medicine........ note: i have already done preliminary and part or year 12 business services via pathways
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
There is A LOT of statistical mathematics in the Bachelor of Medicine/Bachelor of Surgery course. It is very difficult and it requires a high standard of mathematics from previous areas of learning, e.g. schools.

So maybe you should reconsider doing a course which is 30%-40% a subject that you don't even seem to like..

Don't do Bio and Chem unless you like Science. It's weird not to like maths and science, but not completely unknown or even rare. So do it without maths if you must, but you may struggle.

Ext 2 English is Yr 12 only. It is a 1 unit. 60 h course.

Ext 1 is in Yr 11

You would have 14 units incl. 1 unit RE cos of Ext 2 Eng = Yr 12.

JUST RELAX. Calm down. It's only 18 months of your life; not 50 years...and it will pass quickly and be over b4 u know it. :)

:hippie:

kfnmpah

HSC

chemistry is actually one of the few most useful subjects in the hsc before uni.
for cleaning, pyromania, etc.
this is true. i LOVE it.

except half the stuff in the syllabus is a lie because the Board 'dumbs' it down making it 'easier' for us to understand.

Like, for example, the O2 Lewis dot structure they give us, as in the type of O2 we breath, is the wrong structure. The one they give us is some weird kind of oxygen that glows red.
And they tell us that shaking a coke bottle excites the molecules allowing for CO2 to be released... LIES ALL LIES
it creates surface area for reactions to occur on. it's bull. but still the best subject.
/rant. sorry.

DO CHEM

aussienerd

Don't eat yellow snow.
HSC
Uni Grad

im really confuzzled

asking an eng ex 2 teacher is a great idea thanks

aussienerd

Don't eat yellow snow.
HSC
Uni Grad

wow thanks guys

kfnmpah

HSC

like someone above said, there are a lot of statistics in the MBBS.
From next year onwards, probability is being taken out of the mathematics course, and statistics are being put in. Ponder that for a moment.
and yeah, chill out :)
loosey goosey baby. looosey goosey.

occer

HSC
N/A
Yeah you can't do EX2. Maybe change PDH or Business.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
I suggest changing general maths to 2U maths or dropping it altogether and doing another subject.

aussienerd

Don't eat yellow snow.
HSC
Uni Grad
does anyone recommend maths online?

ange aimable

HSC
I did English Ext. 2 and it was definitely worth it :) But, considering you're in yr 10, just have a think about it for yr 12. English Ext. 1 is way better than normal english - the modules are much more interesting to study! I wish E1 was a subject you could do WITHOUT normal english :) Except the only prob with it is that it sorta ends up getting neglected during the hsc... everyone in my class finds that, but I don't know why! lol
I'm not all that sure about general maths, so I can't comment. Except, if i had my time again, i wouldn't do maths because I never enjoyed it and i never got it! but if you want to get into medicine, you may have to do some form of maths - i'm only doing maths to get into health science!
Biology is a really good subject - very interesting. I would definitely recommend it. But I agree with kfnmpah about yr 11 being boring, coz u start with the basics, but yr 12 is worth the wait! its a lot of work tho, but if you want to get into medicine, its a definite.
I don't do chem myself but a lot of people in my grade dropped it at the end of yr 11, even the really really smart ones, coz its confusing. But some people love it to pieces. It just depends on what you're interested in and whether you're really into science. It would be a great course to do for medicine because its a prerequisite for almost everything to do with health!
i don't really know about business services coz my school doesn't offer it... is it a VET course?
A few of my friends do PD/H/PE and love it! except its a lot of work, but it would be good for medicine considering it's based around the health area.
Religion would be really interesting. My friends who do religion have lots of assignments but they love it.
Good luck with your decisions! I hope I've helped! If there are any other questions you want answered, just let me know :)

Villa94

HSC
Is it true there is no Ext Hist HSC Exam? Also do u have to be good at art to do ext 2 Eng?

firstneg

HSC
there is an extension history HSC test although there is a project in it too
why would you need to be good at art to do an english project?
if doing art harbours your creative side then i suppose so,
I'm planning on doing ext.2 but I'm not doing anything really creative apart from english...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)