subject selection help!! (1 Viewer)

gc653

HSC
Hi these were the subjects I am considering for years 11 and 12 what do you think?

Mathematics 2 unit
Mathematics extension 1
English advanced
Economics
Modern history (maybe history extension in year 12)
SOR 2 unit (Catholic school)

Just found out that I need to have minimum of 12 units for year 11 so I am now considering to do 1 unit photography (took it as an elective for yearr 9 and 10) I'm worried though that I will just see it as a wasted subject seeing as though I can't do it for year 12. Suggestions?

thank you :)

Last edited:

studybuddy101

HSC
If you're not sure where you want to end up post hsc and those subjects interest you then the choices are fine and adding the 1 unit photography would be a good idea. However I will say that as you mature and discover more about yourself during year 11 and 12 you'll find that the mix between humanities and mathematics may start to be a problem. For example you may come to love extension maths and despise your other classes which is, of course, something you should avoid.

My best advice would be to flip through an undergraduate handbook and see which pages you spend the most time on, then see if these are current interests or genuine passions that you want to pursue. Either way, the best thing would be to have subjects that match your future plans.

Although ill add that I was actually like you in High school. I took 13 units split with humanities and maths/science and by the end of year 12 I dreaded legal studies because I knew my time was better spent in physics. Legal studies ended up as my worst mark despite starting out as my best mark in year 11.

Not sure if this is very helpful but the idea is to remember to take subjects you can enjoy for 2 whole years, if your list meets that criteria then go for it and good luck. I took 4 of those subjects and they were a good choice looking back, hopefully you say the same thing two years from now! :)

Disfigurate

HSC
I'm doing almost the same thing as you :p I added 1 unit Photography for this year and had the same thought as you. However, I'm considering History Extension for next year. I believe that it'd be a good choice since we're doing a History subject so it wouldn't be a waste as you can just replace Photography (since we're dropping it anyway) with History Extension!

gc653

HSC
Hey guys thanx so much for your comments I really appreciate it!!! :) I think I'm going to do photography in year 11

Last edited:

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
I reckon you should pick up another 2-unit subject, just for reassurance in case you don't like one of your subjects. 13 units for prelim isn't that much work, and if you end up hating one of your subjects, you will be able to drop it, which is what happened to me. Start of year 11, I was certain that I was gonna nail business and eco and go to uni for business/commerce, and I picked physics and chem as unit fillers for year 11. End of year 11 comes round and I had completely changed my mindset. I was loving physics and chem, hating business and eco, and since I chose the 2 unit subjects as unit fillers, I was able to drop business and eco.

13 Units isn't that much, and it gives you a choice if you change your mind about what you want to do during your senior years so that if you end up despising one of your subjects, you can drop it.

gc653

HSC
ok thanx I will consider this too...except I have no idea what other 2 unit subject I should take!!!

enoilgam

HSC
I reckon you should pick up another 2-unit subject, just for reassurance in case you don't like one of your subjects. 13 units for prelim isn't that much work, and if you end up hating one of your subjects, you will be able to drop it, which is what happened to me. Start of year 11, I was certain that I was gonna nail business and eco and go to uni for business/commerce, and I picked physics and chem as unit fillers for year 11. End of year 11 comes round and I had completely changed my mindset. I was loving physics and chem, hating business and eco, and since I chose the 2 unit subjects as unit fillers, I was able to drop business and eco.

13 Units isn't that much, and it gives you a choice if you change your mind about what you want to do during your senior years so that if you end up despising one of your subjects, you can drop it.
This pretty much - you ideally want options heading into the HSC, so I wouldnt add a subject which you have to drop for Year 12.

Examine

same
HSC
I agree with Enoilgam and panda15. I went into year 11 doing EE1 with the intention of dropping it (I thought that doing 13 units would be too much of a drag). Once I look back at it I regret not picking another subject I would have legitimately gone through with (maybe Bio or Pd/H/Pe)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)