Subject Selections for year 11?! (1 Viewer)

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A
I don't think he'll be able to do MX1, even if he does he's gonna fail it miserably without a solid foundation. But if he gets a tutor and works hard now, it shouldn't be much of a problem
Just curious, what are the reasons why you think he won't be able to do MX1? :)

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
I was talking to a classmate who is doing intermediate maths at the moment and topping it. He really thinks that he is capable of doing MX1 next year even though he hasn't done many topics in 5.3 maths such as trigonometry and co-ordinate geometry. I told him that 2U maths would be difficult enough but he should only choose it if he genuinely thinks he can do it. Is it likely that he will be able to do MX1?
If he's getting like 90% or over in 5.2 all the way or consistently, then he should consider doing MX1. He always has the choice of dropping it.

kazemagic

HSC
Just curious, what are the reasons why you think he won't be able to do MX1? :)
Well you did mention that he hasn't covered many year 10 topics yet. MX1 builds on the previous years' knowledge, so if he doesn't know his stuff, he will be having to rely on crude assumptions in 3U classes, which won't get you anywhere. Plus I don't think schools even allow a 5.2 to do extension without doing some kind of examination.

sleepybearx

HSC
Thanks for that! :)
also do you know by any chance what happens in business studies and modern history? because those 2 are on my list of 'just incase i don't get one of the subjects i preferred' !

Momoe

HSC
If your going to do maths extension, you should definately pick up maths advanced, just to keep up with it! There will definately be a huge workload with those subjects-be prepared for about two hours homework and study every afternoon! Don't worry, it'll all be fine and you will eventually find a strategy of study that works for you! Goodluck!!! :)

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A
Well you did mention that he hasn't covered many year 10 topics yet. MX1 builds on the previous years' knowledge, so if he doesn't know his stuff, he will be having to rely on crude assumptions in 3U classes, which won't get you anywhere. Plus I don't think schools even allow a 5.2 to do extension without doing some kind of examination.
That is what I always thought.

enoilgam

HSC
My school only allowed 5.2 people to do 2 unit if they passed an enterance exam which tested content exclusive to 5.3.

Galapagos

HSC
N/A
I did Business studies and it had quite a lot of essay writing involved. Also some basic budgeting (not very hard at all) =]

Unsure about Modern but obviously more essay writing than business studies.

(I hope you like essays lol).

Green Pup

HSC
Go check out what courses you want to do on the various uni websites (UNSW, USYD, Macquarie, etc.) They will have the prerequisite subjects that you must do and recommended subjects that would be useful but not necessary.
There's a general rule of thumb when picking subjects.
1. Subjects you like most/do well at (liking always trumps doing well though)
2. Subjects that will benefit your career.

sleepybearx

HSC
What I want to do at uni? I'm not ENTIRELY sure what to choose, because I don't know much about the courses and I'm just 'assuming' what could be good.
For me it branches off into two sections:
Science OR Humanities
In science
The possibilities are; Biotechnology , Pharmacy
In Humanities
The possibilities are; Commerce, law, Commerce + Law, business.

What do you think!? :alone:

jmadden

HSC
just pick the subjects you are best at and can score the highest mark in - thus recieving the highest atar.

dont worry about what you want to do; slave on schoolwork for two years.

when you score your highest possible atar at the end of year 12 you will then be open too more opportunities for uni courses.

sleepybearx

HSC
LOL mate, if he's not good at them, no point in choosing those subjects. Eco scales better than Phys at times as well, so other than the fact that Eco requires more essay skills which are different to sciences, I don't see why Phys and Eco OR Chem and Eco would be much worse.

I'd recommend OP to pick MX1 and see how he goes. Along with that, pick Adv. Eng. Now you have 5 units out of the way. Choose at least 2 out of Phys, Chem and Eco and then that leaves you 4 units left with which you can have Ancient and Legal. (13 UNITS).

AMIRITE iSplicer?
OH HAY you're doing the subjects that I want to do! Except instead of eng ext 1 i have to do SOR 1, how are you finding the subjects you're doing and do you have any good advice!? :) that would be great.

HSC
What I want to do at uni? I'm not ENTIRELY sure what to choose, because I don't know much about the courses and I'm just 'assuming' what could be good.
For me it branches off into two sections:
Science OR Humanities
In science
The possibilities are; Biotechnology , Pharmacy
In Humanities
The possibilities are; Commerce, law, Commerce + Law, business.

What do you think!? :alone:
hmm... If your thinking of going down the path of Biotechnology and Pharmacy definetley replace economics with Biology otherwise keep economics, but that's just my opinion.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
hmm... If your thinking of going down the path of Biotechnology and Pharmacy definetley replace economics with Biology otherwise keep economics, but that's just my opinion.
I'm going to have to disagree. Choose whichever combination gives you the best shot at the highest ATAR. They will cover HSC biology in two lectures at uni, not worth it.

HSC
The workload
Really depends on you. I find that English has the most workload for me, mainly because 1) I suck at it and 2) I'm not particularly interested in it. Others will breeze adv without a problem and can probably write a practice essay the night before and get a 14/15.

Just note that stuff you're disinterested in is stuff you're unlikely to study.

The Scaling
Something you shouldn't worry too much about

Stress
is linked directly to time management. Make sure you eat well. Helps with concentration levels and the absorption of information. Plus it reduces stress. =P

Time management
Depends on you. Work out the best time you have high concentration levels, the longest block of time you can have a productive study session for, etc.

Don't spend all the time studying either. Make sure you do some sort of sport/ fitness. e.g. I find that when I do sport on Saturday mornings, my weekend gets 10x as productive.

SUBJECTS
What are your experiences with some/any subjects?
Maths: Just doing lots of questions from multiple textbooks and past papers will expose you to the 'tricks' of the harder questions in a test.

What would you recommend doing in preparation (if possible)
If you want. I know some people that finished learning the whole yr 11 maths adv and ext1 syllabus by the end of year 10.

yeah okay ... I was going to post some more, but then laziness drifted in.

enoilgam

HSC
You shouldnt really focus on picking subjects based on what you want to do at uni unless those subjects are pre-requisites or assumed knowledge.

sleepybearx

HSC
I don't really see myself going down that path since I don't want to work in hospitals,labs and all that. But what my original intention in picking chemistry as a subject was 1. I liked it and 2. If I happen to not get into humanities I have another path to take, as a back up.
But I know so little about the courses. And I know for a fact, it's 78% about the money.

theind1996

HSC
N/A
I don't really see myself going down that path since I don't want to work in hospitals,labs and all that. But what my original intention in picking chemistry as a subject was 1. I liked it and 2. If I happen to not get into humanities I have another path to take, as a back up.
But I know so little about the courses. And I know for a fact, it's 78% about the money.
LOL then go for Economics. It scales relatively well. It's a relevant subject to study even if you don't what to use it for a future career. Biology is by no means needed for Biotechnology and/or Pharmacy since the HSC Biology course is not all human-biology and you'll be doing a lot of plant biology, ecosystems etc. IIRC, a friend doing both told me that Biology has a lot more memorising, whereas Economics is a lot more understanding-based and logical where you can also think as a consumer really easily, which is one of the most useul aspects of the course.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
Go for the subjects that u think will interest u. There is more to education than just getting a high ATAR

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)