Subject Selections help please :D (1 Viewer)

Gyahhhh

HSC
Hey there!

I need some advice on subjects I should pick for yrs 11 & 12. Currently i'm thinking of...

Advanced English
Mathematics
Ext. 1 Maths - i don't like maths so i dunno. :|
Physics
Legal Studies
Business Studies - though i flicked through the textbook and it looks really quite boring...? Is it ok?

And for my last subject i'm trying to choose between the following:
Japanese beginners - I'd chose this except for the fact that it scales fairly poorly. I also don't think this course will run so it'll probably mean i'll chose another.
Chemistry - This is probably one of my least favourite topics in science but i dunno. :| Scaling is good...
Economics - Hmmm.
And maybe. maybe. Modern History?

I also want to do a topic where i'll be able to do a major work/project type thing, so i did think of choosing Society and Culture BUT the rest of the course seems really boring.

Oh and I didn't pick commerce in yrs 9 & 10, will i be disadvantaged picking so many social sciences? Is there anything i'll be missing out on?

I'm also considering maybe choosing Ext. 1 English? Is this really difficult and do i need to put in a lot of work for this? + I like essay writing but i hate creative writing. Will there be a lot of creative writing? And i'm thinking of just dropping it if it gets too much?

I'm aiming for an ATAR of 97+

And lastly. I'm a tad confused about scaling and all that. I'm seeing some subjects that you get in the 100th percentile you get scaled down to like 45/50? Does that mean you can't actually get a 99.95 if you pick that subject?

Okay. Thanks for reading all of that. :D

Leffife

A lover is a best friend
HSC
N/A
Rule Number 1: Don't rely on scaling because it will end up being bad for you in the end.

Now, make sure you chose the subject you will do really good in and you must like it.

Don't do Ext 1 maths if you don't like maths.

You might be better of doing Ext 1 english.

I don't know about other "social science" subjects apart from Economics.

Anyhow you might want to do these subjects:

1) Mathematics (2U)
2) Physics
3) English Adv
4) English Ext 1
5) Business Studies [Trust me, this is an easy subject - I don't do it but heard it's relatively easy]
6) Economics [You might find it a bit easier than if you didn't do business studies. This is a good subject :) ]

Do what you enjoy & are good at.

Thief

!!
HSC
- Dont do a subject just cos it scales well.
- You wont be disadvantaged at all if you didn't do commerce, don't worry.
- Can't comment on 3U english since I don't do it, but yes you have minimum 12 units in yr11 and you could drop to 10units in yr12, so that's always an option.
- Economics > Business Studies in terms of scaling I think.
- Don't know much about scaling, but honestly don't worry about it so much, it is not a big deal. Your main priority is to choose subjects that you like.
Afterall, you will be doing them for the next two years so if you hate a subject, chances are that you won't do as well as you could if you chose a subject you were actually passionate about.

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
Hey there!

I need some advice on subjects I should pick for yrs 11 & 12. Currently i'm thinking of...

Advanced English
Mathematics
Physics
Legal Studies
Business Studies - though i flicked through the textbook and it looks really quite boring...? Is it ok?

Japanese beginners - I'd chose this except for the fact that it scales fairly poorly. I also don't think this course will run so it'll probably mean i'll chose another.
Chemistry - This is probably one of my least favourite topics in science but i dunno. :| Scaling is good...
Economics - Hmmm.

I also want to do a topic where i'll be able to do a major work/project type thing, so i did think of choosing Society and Culture BUT the rest of the course seems really boring.

Oh and I didn't pick commerce in yrs 9 & 10, will i be disadvantaged picking so many social sciences? Is there anything i'll be missing out on?

I'm also considering maybe choosing Ext. 1 English? Is this really difficult and do i need to put in a lot of work for this? + I like essay writing but i hate creative writing. Will there be a lot of creative writing? And i'm thinking of just dropping it if it gets too much?

And lastly. I'm a tad confused about scaling and all that. I'm seeing some subjects that you get in the 100th percentile you get scaled down to like 45/50? Does that mean you can't actually get a 99.95 if you pick that subject?

You unfortunately, need to open the scope of your narrow perceptions quite dramatically about the HSC. What you must understand are a few things.

- Scaling should not be the criteria in determining a subject of your choice for senior studies at all.

- Scaling is based on the quality of the candidature in that particular course, do not be confused. For example, one may consider the quality of people doing 4U mathematics in contrast to people doing VA. I am not in any way saying one group is definitely smarter then the other, although you will admit that 4U math people are most likely the smartest (highest) quality students in the state to VA people, hence the idea of 'great' scaling.

Choose the subjects you enjoy as most people here will tell you. There is nothing worse then going into a subject hating it for two years and gaining nothing out of it other then an ATAR. Really, the marks are great and all but realise that these are the last years of schooling. Remember to enjoy your school life and focus 100% on your studies. If you put in maximum effort, you will get what you deserve.

May I ask, what subjects you currently enjoy at school? Perhaps I can provide some suggestions.

starshine02

HSC
Ext english is worth doing if you enjoy english in general. imo the content is more engaging than advanced english. economics isn't too hard and you won't really be disadvantaged if you didn't do commerce because its covered in the first topic anyways. good luck!

Gyahhhh

HSC
May I ask, what subjects you currently enjoy at school? Perhaps I can provide some suggestions.

Subjects that I currently enjoy at school:
IST would probably be the subject i enjoy most however the teacher is really bad and seems to dislike me a lot.
I also like Visual Design however i don't want to pick Visual Arts since I have zero interest in the theory side of it.

Some topics of science are fairly interesting which is why i picked physics.... :|

Thats pretty much it. Geography + History are also alright....?

To be honest anything really is alright with me, most things are enjoyable i suppose. I'm very open for ideas.

Maths + PDPHE are probably the least enjoyable subjects but i want to chose maths so that i don't regret not having picked it later. (And Asian parents... kinda have to pick maths...)

enoilgam

HSC
As mentioned above, you should do subjects which you believe you can do well in and which you enjoy. However, as you are aiming for a high ATAR (97+), you cannot completely ignore scaling altogether. But looking at the subjects you have chosen so far, scaling is not an issue (it might be an issue if you wanted to do a combination like standard english, general maths, PDHPE, VA and Industrial technology).

Also the fact that you havent done commerce in stage 5 wont hurt you at all.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
English (Advanced)
English Extension One
Mathematics
Mathematics Extension One
Physics
Chemistry
Latin Beginners (?)
Latin Extension

theind1996

HSC
N/A
Hey there!

Advanced English
Mathematics
Physics
Legal Studies

Economics - Hmmm.

Yet again a misconception about scaling.

You seem to enjoy humanities more?

Economics outscales Physics and Chemistry.

So I reckon considering scaling (which is an important thing to consider in my opinion), go for:

3U Maths
2U Advanced English
2U Physics
2U Economics
2U Legal Studies.
2U Modern History.

3U maths, 2U English Advanced, Physics, Economics are great scaling, and even Modern History isn't too bad a scaler.

In terms of scaling, these subjects would effectively put you in the same position as someone who is picking 3U Maths, 2U Advanced English, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Legal Studies - so the above mentioned would be a great combo.

bluecrisps

HSC
As my careers advisor says, seriously teacher's don't matter, if you extend yourself from outside the classroom and independently study then you can do well in it and hey you never know whether one day the teacher could just change.
Also just pick the subjects you enjoy, don't pick it cos your friends do it because in the end you will probably regret doing something you don't like and you may never see them again

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
For you I'm wondering if you should do maths if you seem so unkeen, do you perform better in the humanities?

It's just that I know so many people seem to pick maths without much thought, like it's not even an elective. Which it is. Only pick it if you know you can amp up for the work in it. But if you feel you might want it for uni, you should probably do it just in case.

Oh and honestly, go with the humanities if you like them more like Eco, Modern etc. You're not disadvantaged at all for not doing Stage 5 commerce.

I think scaling only needs to be considered when aiming for a high ATAR and even so-all the subjects you listed are at least average(legal) to good. It's like when you want to do CAFS and stuff that scaling is really low you need to consider.
The highest ATAR at my school in recent years was gotten with English, History and Legal.

Gyahhhh

HSC
Well I've pretty decided on the following:

3U Maths
3U English -> Will drop down to Adv. English if its too difficult
Legal Studies
Business Studies
Physics
Japanese Beginners -> Might change to economics.

Thanks for your help everyone! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)