Subject selections? Is maths really necessary? (1 Viewer)

slowjam10

HSC
Hey,
I was wondering if i really need to choose maths for yr 11 and 12. Im currently doing advanced maths, im going okay at it (just making the avg) but i really dont know whether i should do it or not. I know if i didn't do it i would feel like this weight was lifted off my shoulders but yeah any help would be greatly appreciated.

Subject choices

2U - Adv. English
1U - Ext 1. English
2U - Ancient History
2U - Studies of Religion
2U - Food Technology
2U - Legal Studies
2U - Adv. Maths or if not Modern History

Career aspirations: Law or Speech Pathology

Last edited:

dandel26

HSC
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
Dont do it, the work load is enormous and hard to get awesome marks, unless your really good at it.

slowjam10

HSC
Hey dandel, i see ur subjects are very similar to mine, i was wondering how you enjoy them, inparticular modern + ancient history. Also is it true that you need to get in the high eighties in ext 1 eng not to be scaled down.

Thanks

tennille

HSC
If you are interested in doing speech pathology, then I suggest you choose a science course such as chemistry.

slowjam10

HSC
I thought about doing a science, but i feel that can go better in the humanities area, even though science does interest me. I also posted on BOS before about chem for speech path and Skeeta (currrently studyin speech path) said its not totally necessary and that its only needed for one topic in 1st yr. Anyways chem is only recommended, not a pre-requisite.

tennille

HSC
Even though you feel you may go better in the humanities subjects, if science interests you, you should think about choosing it (even if it's only one subject). I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to do science instead of food technology (science is definitely better than food technology :p). It would keep your options open.

*tries to convert slowjam10 to a science nerd* :p

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
slowjam10 said:
I thought about doing a science, but i feel that can go better in the humanities area, even though science does interest me. I also posted on BOS before about chem for speech path and Skeeta (currrently studyin speech path) said its not totally necessary and that its only needed for one topic in 1st yr. Anyways chem is only recommended, not a pre-requisite.
Almost no university courses have a pre-requisite in terms of subjects, but it is better to do recommended subjects, so that it helps you with the university degree you want to do.

slowjam10

HSC
lol. hmm well see i the reason im interested in choosing food tech is that well for yr 9 - i got first place and im coming so far 1st this yr as well and well i go quite enjoy it and well we have the the best teacher ever. So yeh, ur opinion would once again be appreciated:)

cupcake08

HSC
don't feel like you have to do maths!!! i gave it up and its been one of the best decisions i've made. dont feel pressured into doing it, its really not that necessary :)

slowjam10

HSC
Cupcake08, what did you end up choosing then - just curious:)

HSC
ancient history is alot of work ...if you choose to do it then you have to summarise every dot point as soon as you finish it coz its toooooo long,

for legal studies you have to do two essays which you should pretty much know the whole topic for, crime is alright if you know what everything is eg definitions+ some egs [not alot] and law and society is the easiest + they keep repeating the questions but rephrasing them...

as for studies of religion all you need to do is have a summary of each topic...but the way they phrase the question is the hardest part...

slowjam10

HSC
oh good i like essays, lol much better than algebra. Yeah i do food tech and commerce now and we are studying law at the momet. Its really great our teacher actually has a law degree + master of commerce + master of economics from some uni in London.

frontin

HSC
Hey slowjam..
I'm in year 10 too so maybe this helps..
I'm going to do 3 unit maths next year (which is going to be pretty tough for me!) but yeah if your going bad now you can always really put your head down and work more.. Maths isn't necessary but its definitely recommended.. Remember you can always drop down if you still hate it next year..

What exactly is it about that you hate? For me I don't enjoy it compared to lets say Music or English but I do understand how it would be useful in the future..

I'm doing food tech this year and am in first place but I've looked through the syllabus, past paper and asked around and apparently it's not too worth it so therefore im not choosing it. If you really don't enjoy Maths and hate every bit of it then don't choose it but if you haven't given it a chance and its just a matter of that you can't be bothered studying for it then give it a fair go and you might like it.

xuvu6520

HSC
It sounds like you are very good at English and the English-related subjects, so go for them. I suggest Modern History over Maths since Maths 2 Unit scales you down.

slowjam10

HSC
Well, at the moment i'm averaging around high 60's in advanced maths. Its not that i hate it, its that its just never been my thing ever since we started to do signpost in yr4 lol. Also our teachers not that great (sigh) Anyways, i feel that if i didnt do it then it would be like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders, becuase with the humanities subjects they just seem to come to me naturally. However, I do also enjoy science but the lines our school used are terrible and i would have to drop legal for say chem. Or Ancient history for Biology. So yeah...

asdf5432

HSC
No, not at all. If you want to do modern over maths, then do modern. If you want to do maths over modern, then do maths. Do what you want, and what you think you'd do better at.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)