Subject Selections?! (1 Viewer)

fatima96

HSC
Hi guys :)
Currently in yr 10 doing accelerated 2U mathematics and Biology (Prelim).
Were going to have to pick our subjects soon and I don't know much about a few subjects, if somebody could tell me what SOR I is like, PDHPE, Physics and economics is like?

And advice is much appreciated!

Appleorange

Banned
HSC
I do economics.

Economics is great, it is very interesting (regardless if you want to do it in uni) and very analytical. I definitely recommend it. It will allow you to understand so much. Yes, it is hard but it is worth it. I strongly urge you to do it.

fatima96

HSC
I do economics.

Economics is great, it is very interesting (regardless if you want to do it in uni) and very analytical. I definitely recommend it. It will allow you to understand so much. Yes, it is hard but it is worth it. I strongly urge you to do it.
Content wise, whats it like?
Because I really want to do

Ext1 Math
SOR I
Adv Eng
Chem
Phys
Bio
(preliminary)

Not sure If i want to trade any of them for economics. What do you think of SOR I, if you do it??? And do you know and other 1 units that are good scalers and are interesting?

HSC
I'm doing SOR 1 at the moment because I have to but it's actually pretty easy to achieve a high mark because the content is pretty straightforward and easy. I don't think that SOR 1 is a good scaler but I've heard from the people that do SOR 2 that it scales alright.

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

Ext1 Math
SOR I
Adv Eng
Chem
Phys
Bio
(preliminary)

Not sure If i want to trade any of them for economics. What do you think of SOR I, if you do it??? And do you know and other 1 units that are good scalers and are interesting?
In my honest opinion, assuming you will be doing 4U math in year 12, you should either:
1.Drop Biology for Economics
2. Drop SOR I for Economics

Alot of people will tell you to pick what you like, and in general that is what you should do because the theory is that if you do subjects you like, you excel at it.
Economics scales better than all the subjects you have most of the time (occasionally Chemistry scales a tiny bit higher) (except for Extension Maths)

From what Ive heard SOR I is a lot of rote, and so is Biology, so I would pick Economics instead due to its interesting topics and the fact that it is my logical and analytical (as said above).

If you dont like Economics dont pick it, simply due to the fact that it punishes people who dont like it. This is because the concepts arent very easy to learn, but one has to actually concentrate and try and understand it, rather than listening and have information pile in one's head. So pick Economics if you like it.

1 unit subjects generally do not scale that well unless they are extensions, so you could pick Extension 1 English if you wish. (Plus EX1 is better than Advanced), but again dont pick it if you dont like it.

If you are going to pick subjects based scaling only.
Do MX1, EX1, Economics, Chemistry and Physics.
Then in y12 pick 4U Maths, and drop Physics or Economics (if you wish to drop at all)

If you do like Biology however, then you can pick only English Advanced and not do SOR I (option 2)
If you dont like Biology at all however and you picked it for scaling, then replace it with Economics due to Bio not scaling as great.

Overall, if you are picking for scaling, pick Economics. If the subjects you listed are subjects you like, keep them, if not replace one for Economics (or something you like)

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
^What if OP is generally good at rote subjects? Just a thought. Scaling is not the be and end all if they will perform well in the subjects. I assume they are good at Bio to be accelerating it.

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
Oh I didnt see that they accelerated Bio, yeah you should probably keep Biology then, but I still reckon you should drop SOR I for Economics.

Lina3

HSC
I do physics. The work load is by no means unreasonable, however, there are quite a few formulas to remember. From what I have seen, the people who enjoy and do well in maths (as you seem to) are pretty much the people who ace physics.

lolman69

HSC
I currently do prelim physics and economics and in my opinion i think u shud choose both. Firstly u seem to be good at maths(accelerated) which will help u out for the calculations in physics. Secondly i strongly recommend economics as it is quite interesting and logically, i was worried with the workload for eco at first but wen i actually started the course i found it not to be too bad. So i reckon u shud take up physics and eco and ditch PDHPE and SOR.

Appleorange

Banned
HSC
?

Heavy. Economics is fairly heavy in content. However, often in economics you will find everything overlaps.

So when you talk about fiscal policy, you will find yourself talking about all chapters of the book. So really, content isn't an issue.

choiyokbao

HSC
I do physics and eco and physics mostly an even mix of content and some basic mathematical calculations (applying formulaes) while eco requires quite a lot of content as well as being up-to-date with what's going on in the world

fatima96

HSC
In my honest opinion, assuming you will be doing 4U math in year 12, you should either:
1.Drop Biology for Economics
2. Drop SOR I for Economics

Alot of people will tell you to pick what you like, and in general that is what you should do because the theory is that if you do subjects you like, you excel at it.
Economics scales better than all the subjects you have most of the time (occasionally Chemistry scales a tiny bit higher) (except for Extension Maths)

From what Ive heard SOR I is a lot of rote, and so is Biology, so I would pick Economics instead due to its interesting topics and the fact that it is my logical and analytical (as said above).

If you dont like Economics dont pick it, simply due to the fact that it punishes people who dont like it. This is because the concepts arent very easy to learn, but one has to actually concentrate and try and understand it, rather than listening and have information pile in one's head. So pick Economics if you like it.

1 unit subjects generally do not scale that well unless they are extensions, so you could pick Extension 1 English if you wish. (Plus EX1 is better than Advanced), but again dont pick it if you dont like it.

If you are going to pick subjects based scaling only.
Do MX1, EX1, Economics, Chemistry and Physics.
Then in y12 pick 4U Maths, and drop Physics or Economics (if you wish to drop at all)

If you do like Biology however, then you can pick only English Advanced and not do SOR I (option 2)
If you dont like Biology at all however and you picked it for scaling, then replace it with Economics due to Bio not scaling as great.

Overall, if you are picking for scaling, pick Economics. If the subjects you listed are subjects you like, keep them, if not replace one for Economics (or something you like)
Thank you so much for your detailed reply.
I am not too sure about my capability level in regards to MX2. Another thing, I am accelerated in biology and next year, if i do not drop it, I can do the HSC for it and get it out of my life! I'm also planning on only doing 10 units in yr 12, since my school doesn't allow me to do 12. This is so confusing. gah. Next Year, I will be (hopefully) doing the HSC for bio and Mathematics, if i decide to continue them. I don't think I want to do EXt1 eng as i find english tedious and mundane. Psht I hate essay writing. But I love the idea of dropping bio for eco but I really want to do the HSC next year. So should I ditch SOR I and MX1 and do eco?

fatima96

HSC
I do physics. The work load is by no means unreasonable, however, there are quite a few formulas to remember. From what I have seen, the people who enjoy and do well in maths (as you seem to) are pretty much the people who ace physics.
Thanks for your reply! I'm so confused and I appreciate your help!

fatima96

HSC
Oh I didnt see that they accelerated Bio, yeah you should probably keep Biology then, but I still reckon you should drop SOR I for Economics.
Sorry to bother you again, but since you seem pretty well versed, hows MX2 like, and what kind of a person would be capable of doing it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)