subjects/units of study in B Arts ???? (1 Viewer)

loz8888

HSC
Hey, this might be a really stupid question but i dont really know all that much about how the ...uni system works...with units of study and all..

I'm going to do B Arts at sydney this year. Would someone please be able to tell me how many subjects/units of study you do in an arts degree?! i'm kind of confused.. I want to major in psychology and maybe sociology.. but i dont know how many other subjects etc i can do..??

thankyou and sorry if this seems like a really dumb question

KarmaKitten

HSC
Course completion requirements

144 credit points in total including up to two majors. Students are required to choose at least one major from the Faculty of Arts.

Most arts subjects are 6 credit points and you do 4 subjects a semester. 8 subjects a year.

Units of study

spence

HSC
Basically for first year you'll need to enrol in a junior psyc and a junior sociology unit for each semester. Then use the other 4 subjects to do random electives. Keep in mind that if you major in PSYC, all your other units have to be Table A units

loz8888

HSC
spence said:
Basically for first year you'll need to enrol in a junior psyc and a junior sociology unit for each semester. Then use the other 4 subjects to do random electives. Keep in mind that if you major in PSYC, all your other units have to be Table A units
Thanks a lot spence and KarmaKitten for clearing that up..it makes sense now!

KarmaKitten

HSC
Just plan your subjects wisely cause you don't want to waste subjects or realise you dont have enough units left to major in a subject or two.

loz8888

HSC
KarmaKitten said:
Just plan your subjects wisely cause you don't want to waste subjects or realise you dont have enough units left to major in a subject or two.
oh ok, so do you have to do 4 subjects per semester/8 per year? or can you do less than that? so, if i want to major in psych and sociology...i can then also do anthropology, french, philosophy and something else? is that right? sorry im just a bit confused..

KarmaKitten

HSC
You can do less than that but then it will take you longer than 3 years to complete your degree. Which isnt really worth it.

So basically arts requirs you to major in atleast ONE subject from the arts faculty. Which in your case is Sociology. In order to major in Sociology, you must do two junior subjects. So lets say you do Introduction to Sociology 1 (SCLG1001) in first semester and Introduction to Sociology 2 (SCLG1002) in second semester. You have then satisfied the requirements to do Senior Sociology subjects in your second year. You will need to do another 6 Sociology subjects (36 credit points) in order to qualify for your major. This can be spread around however you want.

Eg, you can do two or three Sociology subjects in a semester, or even 4! As long as you do those 6.

As for Psychology is a bit trickier because its offered by another faculty and I really dont know the requirements for that subject.

Back to the other subjects, you can do french, anthropology etc, as you will probably have 'spare' subjects remaining in your degree of 144 credit points. These will be electives. So in your first year, besides the two sociology subjects and the two psych, you have room for 4 more elective subjects.

I hope that makes sense.

Otherwise, look at this site, Arts Requirements

spence

HSC
loz8888 said:
oh ok, so do you have to do 4 subjects per semester/8 per year? or can you do less than that? so, if i want to major in psych and sociology...i can then also do anthropology, french, philosophy and something else? is that right? sorry im just a bit confused..
Yes you can do less if you want, obviously it just takes you longer to finish that way. Also I'd personally recommend you do 2 subjects in one of those areas, as that way you'll be eligible to do senior units in that area

loz8888

HSC
ahh i see! i think i understand. if not, ill look at that link.

thanks very much to both of you!!

Smithereens

HSC
Its 144cp to complete a BA, but could you do more subjects/units of study to exceed that?

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Smithereens said:
Its 144cp to complete a BA, but could you do more subjects/units of study to exceed that?
Units of study surplus to degree requirements
Units of study paid for through HECS-HELP must be part of an award course. Unless Faculty permission has been given to include surplus units as part of an award course, such units must be taken on a fee-paying, non-award basis.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)