Summer clerkships (1 Viewer)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
oh guys com'on, you know i can't disclose on a public forum, as much as i'd love to. i prefer the anonymity - it allows me to be honest. :p

= Jennifer =

HSC
subdued123 said:
btw, Jen, any luck? Don't reply if you don't want to. I just hope it all went well.

And any interview stories? Anyone?
Unfortunately no luck, but it is ok since i am already working in a firm. I am just going to keep my eye out on paralegal jobs and then apply for grad programs

KaKaPooP

HSC
Gl for everybody who has got an interview so far. It looks like a clerkship is so hard to get this year.

Does anybody know whether all of the firms have replied to applications yet? especially slater and gordon.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
= Jennifer = said:
nope not me i know a girl who got 12 first rounds and 10 second rounds though
at the end of the day, she can only take one anyway.. what a waste of time.

M@C D@DDY

HSC
That just shows the person isn't focused and clearly hasn't thought too much about their future. I think 4-5 interviews are optimal.

subdued123

HSC
But, to play devil's advocate, couldn't you also say the person the person has actually done the complete opposite, and tried to do their best to optimise their chances of success?

Clerkships are notoriously fickle things...You can apply to 10 and get none. You can apply to get 5 and get all five. The amount of control you get in the process is variable. Yet we speak of this person as though they had the power to choose who picked them.

What surprises me is the level of negativity directed at this person. It's not like it's their fault that
1) every law firm wants them
2) they decided to apply in a lot of places and
3) they have an amazing cv/interpersonal skills.

We should be jealous of these types.

Or maybe that's what is happening.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
subdued123 said:
What surprises me is the level of negativity directed at this person.
LOL. well law students are perfectionist, narcissistic, arrogant types who hate taller poppies, right? :p

speaking of which, dear, did i see you at the valedictory dinner? i was on table 9 ;)

subdued123

HSC
I think posting table numbers would be giving away too much, especially as we like to keep it anonymous here - As I noted on another recent post.

I enjoyed seeing Nic and Warren do their thing and I guess we'll leave it at that ;)

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
You guys were there too? I was actually on table 8, I had no idea!

Nah, I've got nothing to back that up. I just want to be popular.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
subdued123 said:
I enjoyed seeing Nic and Warren do their thing and I guess we'll leave it at that ;)
i heckled at the guest speaker, if that helps ;)

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
I got a few Big 6 interviews, but looks like no clerking for me at a law firm this Summer. Government departments are still to come though :)

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
This job might interest those out there who didn't score a clerkship. It is advertised on Macquarie Uni's "careerhub" site... but I thought I'd share :)

Employer: Macquarie Group Limited (ITG)
Position: Paralegal / Summer Student
Added: 03-Oct-2008
Closes: 13-Oct-2008
Hours: Vacation
Payrate: $25 per hour

Details
The legal team of Macquarie’s Information Technology Group is looking for a student to work as an assistant from the last week of November 2008 to the middle of February 2009.

The team does commercial contractual and intellectual property work for Macquarie in Australia and overseas. There are 8 lawyers and 4 assistants.

The assistants do the usual filing and scanning documents and answering phone calls; as well as paralegal work where they work with lawyers on finalising documents such software licences, confidentiality agreements, escrow agreements, services agreements and novations.

Essential:
- Law Student – preferably has completed at least 2 years of degree
- Well organised and methodical
- Flexible
- Ability to prioritise

Desirable:
- Expert at Microsoft Word

Hours: 8.45am to 5.15pm Monday to Friday

Remuneration: $25 per hour

Apply only by email to ross.buchanan@macquarie.com

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
AsyLum said:
*chuckle*
hehe, yes I thought the same thing, too. Quite demanding criteria... it shows the high standards required by the Mac Group ;)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
haha, i have a feeling that's gonna be higher than what most summer clerks earn, based on a 37.5 hour week. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)