• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

supp (1 Viewer)

JenKOK

hey guys,

I was wondering, do u get a supp exam if u fail da finals, or do u only have to apply for it? And also if u get one, does dat mean they'll count ur supp marks regardless of ur orginal exam marks.

And do we do da supp before our results of our finals come out.

Thx a lot guys

elfm

HSC
weR1 said:
hey guys,

I was wondering, do u get a supp exam if u fail da finals, or do u only have to apply for it? And also if u get one, does dat mean they'll count ur supp marks regardless of ur orginal exam marks.

And do we do da supp before our results of our finals come out.

Thx a lot guys
Generally, if you get 40-49 as your final mark, you can sit for a supplementary exam. However, this may vary among differing faculties and courses so it's best if you contact a school admin about it. Some subjects don't even offer supplementary exams, so you should check. Normally you don't need to apply to sit one unless you're sitting the supp test because of reasons other than failing.

If you sit and pass a supp test, your mark will be 50 PS - no higher.

You do the supp test shortly after your results come out.

JenKOK

So wot happened if I apply fhro' special consideration? And if i get it, i can choose whether or not to sit for da supp exam depending on my final marks?! Is dat the idea?

Thanks elfm!

gman03

HSC
AFAIK if they let you do the supp, they will not take into the account of your final marks... like treated as if you have not attend the final exam.

What reason are you giving them for the "special consideration"? That one requires like many proofs and authorisations and stuff.

JenKOK

So like if I got accepted, but decided to keep my original exam mark, would dat be ok? Coz im finkin of doing da supp only if my exam marks are not satisfactory.

Yeh i got a doctor certificate and everything, just cant be bothered to study for it agen if i actually did alright.

KD

HSC
N/A
Note: You have to get the doctor to sign a UNSW form and there is a strict time limit on when you can submit the form.

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
weR1 said:
So like if I got accepted, but decided to keep my original exam mark, would dat be ok? Coz im finkin of doing da supp only if my exam marks are not satisfactory.

Yeh i got a doctor certificate and everything, just cant be bothered to study for it agen if i actually did alright.
As it was said above, if you DO sit the supp exam and "PASS" it, your final mark will be no higher than 50.
Now, the faculty will only grant you to do the supp exam if you, of course, have failed the final exam, not if you "only got a credit" for example. But perhaps they would mark more leniently given your circumstances - as you apply for special consideration.

So you can't choose to take the supp exam.
Also note, that the supp exam is designed to be more difficult - or at least marked more stringent.

KD

HSC
N/A
If you get a medical special consideration (WC) and you did the exam, the lecturer has the choice to adjust your marks (taking into account how you went in other assessment etc.), give you a sup exam (usually done if you failed the exam badly - you will be given the actual mark you got in the sup), do nothing.

If you did not do the original exam then the lecturer can give you a sup and you will get the actual mark you get in the sup.

If you failed the exam then depending on the Faculty/School you might automatically get a sup if you get over a certain mark e.g. 40 (check with your School). If this is the case you will not be notified further - just turn up. The maximum mark you can get in this case is 50.

It is NOT true that the sup exam is harder than the original. Lecturers are supposed to make it of similar difficulty.

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
KD said:
It is NOT true that the sup exam is harder than the original. Lecturers are supposed to make it of similar difficulty.
I have spoken to a lecturer myself and he told me that in fact you should expect the supplementary exam to be more difficult.

elfm

HSC
Grizzly said:
I have spoken to a lecturer myself and he told me that in fact you should expect the supplementary exam to be more difficult.
I have done a supplementary exam myself, and I will tell you that it's at the same or easier level. Seriously, what's the point in making it harder? Everyone will just fail it again if they failed the first time with an easier exam. Lecturers want people to pass, not screw them over, because it looks bad on them as well.

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
elfm said:
I have done a supplementary exam myself, and I will tell you that it's at the same or easier level. Seriously, what's the point in making it harder? Everyone will just fail it again if they failed the first time with an easier exam. Lecturers want people to pass, not screw them over, because it looks bad on them as well.
Fair enough

But remember, the purpose of the supp. exam is not to "get out of jail free".
The reason you performed unsatisfactorily in the orginal exam was due to sickness or something beyond your control, which then gives you the opportunity to re-demonstrate your performance as if you didnt have a disadvantage.

So, quite frankly, a lecturer wouldn't care if a person failed the org exam and/or supp exam.

elfm

HSC
Grizzly said:
Fair enough

But remember, the purpose of the supp. exam is not to "get out of jail free".
The reason you performed unsatisfactorily in the orginal exam was due to sickness or something beyond your control, which then gives you the opportunity to re-demonstrate your performance as if you didnt have a disadvantage.

So, quite frankly, a lecturer wouldn't care if a person failed the org exam and/or supp exam.
I would think for the majority of the subjects, the supplementary tests would be catered more for the people that failed because of their own reasons, rather than for the people that were sick, because they probably outnumber them by 20:1. I sat the exam because I got a mark between 40 and 50 because of no other reason other than that I was underprepared and had no motivation for the subject, not because I was unwell.

I don't think anyone thinks it's a "get out of jail free" option. It means more study and it means that you can't get anything over 50. It's hardly an attractive option to anyone.

Last edited:

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
Oh ok, didnt know that

Well, it is attractive if you got less than 50.
I'd prefer 50 than 40.

JenKOK

I havent heard anything frm them after I've applied for special consideration, and now they give me FL without any marks!! :( Wots going on??1

elfm

HSC
yeah it's a bitch trying to contact lecturers about marks - especially during holidays. i still haven't gotten a few of my marks back for my assessments and i can't get a hold of a lecturer about a problem with my first 2 assessments.

JenKOK

Ok, apparently they've make a 'mistake' putting my grade in, it shud be a WD instead of a FL :S.

Does anybody know when's the *final* results coming out?1

gman03

HSC
weR1 said:
Ok, apparently they've make a 'mistake' putting my grade in, it shud be a WD instead of a FL :S.

Does anybody know when's the *final* results coming out?1
THere is no set date for final final results result from WD grade exams and consideration. The final result was released last saturday.

elfm

HSC
I think if you get a WD, it's recommended that you do a supp test.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)