Supplementary Material: Retreat from the Global (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Komaticom

Bored Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks for the rep points, hoped for more than 2 though...
Anyway, being the honest kid I am, it's Annotation time!

"Reqiuem for a pipe dream."- I would have no idea.

"mobile phone, Palm Pilot" - technology conceived by the Global. Neglected for the rest of the article, implying superficiality.

"dreaming of the quiet life in a sleepy town by the sea"- Local is implied as a "dream", a stark contrast to the "rainy" nature of the city (Global entity).

Author initially embraces the Global: "I love this city, and everything it has to offer" but "admit, there are times when the “quiet life” doesn’t seem so much like the “isolation” I’ve always dreaded but more like the solitude and relaxation that I strive so hard to achieve in my yoga class."

Comparison of "quiet life" to yoga. Both are independent of technology and greed and materialism of the Global.

"Quiet life", "simple life" = Local.

Global is a health hazard!: "I am surprised at the number of people who suffer from this anxiety."

"instructor tries to make me forget about last week while I’m secretly thinking about this week, next week and the week after"- pscyhological effects of living/working in the Global- anxiety.

"How many times have we heard a work mate say “by the time I started to relax, it was time to come back”. Sound familiar?"- rhetoric q. Demanding nature of the Global.

"We are living in a highly stressful time. Work hours have become longer in the pursuit for success. Careers and high goals are the order of the day and down time is harder to come by." - speaks for itself about individual values in the Global.

Mention of "Seachange", a proverbial RFTG text.
"find your own version of the ABC’s Seachange?"- rhetoric q. Implies a Retreat to the Local community of [whatever the town's name is in Seachange].

"shun the crazy city life"- author wants to leave Global.

beautiful/effective use of statistics to emphasise RFTG- "Australian Bureau of Statistics figures reveal that some 40 000 people left the big smoke in 2001 for a new life in regional and coastal NSW."

"heading up or down the coast or inland on their own personal quest for the “simple life” (although perhaps not Paris Hilton style)." - "simple life" complements the nature of Local. Humour in the Paris Hilton thingie, humour is a result of positive relationships which thrive in the Local. The city is a serious, business environment that does not value humour, a result of positive human interaction.

"search for a long-lost sanity or a return to old-world family values"- negative implication of insanity caused by Global. "Old-world family values" is vague but hints at the Local.

"stinky, peak hour traffic "- contempt for Global environment.

"We dream of a calmer life but city life is like a drug isn’t it?"- rhetorical question. Induces responder to think about "city life" as a drug (illegal, preferably).

"I can’t help but think that for better or worse I’m addicted to this pace of life. I actually thrive on the buzz this city generates." - Responder sees the effect of Global "pace of life". Author implied to be a druggo, a parasite, "thriv[ing] on the buzz this city generates." Harsh interpretation, but that's just me.

Author acknowledges that she will retreat to "to a farm in Byron Bay" in the future.

"at this rate, I may still be sitting in this damn taxi"- anger at the consequence of traffic congestion caused by technology (the taxi) of the Global.

Irony- "Bianca Dye is a presenter for Nova 96.9". Prominent voice of the city Global wants to jump ship to the Local.

There's a graphic but it's pretty shallow in terms of RFTG. It has a black figure holding an umbrella in the rain, dreaming of holding the umbrella under the full moon on land that is flat, implying a rural locality.

I'll take a digicam pic of it and put it up later, if anyone requests it.

NOTE: I didn't have these notes written up beforehand! If only I went so well in my Eng Ext1 Trials. *mumble mumble* 13%. *mumble*.
Cheers.

Last edited:

Emily.

Pro-VSU
HSC
omg thanks so much!
i have a little insight into the title:

A Requiem is a mass for the dead, you know like mozarts requiem. its basically a song to remember the dead, sung at funerals. here its a metaphor

A Pipe Dream is related to what she says in the last line i may have just moved to a farm in Byron Bay well byron bay is big on surfing, surfing represents holidays and relaxation, and a "pipe dream" is related to surfing holidays. so its all metaphorical
i think its basically saying "goodbye relaxing holidays"

hope this helps
anything else and ill post it up too

Komaticom

Bored Member
HSC
Uni Grad
twisted_emily said:
omg thanks so much!
No problem.

twisted_emily said:
A Requiem is a mass for the dead
much like on that fatal conclave on Vinegar Hill in Ireland...

I thought about the title and pulled this out of my arsenal. Heh.

"Requiem for a pipe dream" implies the loss of ability to dream of a "quiet life" away from the Global. This interpretation allows the reader to reflect that the Global has control of the individual in the city, that the notion of the "simple life" is a "pipe dream", unachievable. This may be due to the "drug"ish nature of the Global, causing inhabitants to be addicted to the values of "careers and high goals", technology etc.

Emily.

Pro-VSU
HSC
Komaticom said:
No problem.

much like on that fatal conclave on Vinegar Hill in Ireland...

I thought about the title and pulled this out of my arsenal. Heh.

"Requiem for a pipe dream" implies the loss of ability to dream of a "quiet life" away from the Global. This interpretation allows the reader to reflect that the Global has control of the individual in the city, that the notion of the "simple life" is a "pipe dream", unachievable. This may be due to the "drug"ish nature of the Global, causing inhabitants to be addicted to the values of "careers and high goals", technology etc.
yeah thats where i got it from, heanys poem "requiem for the croppies"

Komaticom

Bored Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Another eligible additional text. Rep contributions appeciated.
###########
“It’s the vibe: court tells caravan park developer to back off”
Sydney Morning Herald
11-10-04
Adele Horin

With her walking stick, white hair and air of frailty, Gwen Watts looks like a puff of wind might tip her over. But the 75-year-old former union organiser knows how to hold her ground: she took on a property developer and won a battle with repercussions for thousands of caravan park residents in NSW.

The NSW Land and Environmental Court recently stopped owner-developer Eddie Baker from turning a caravan park, home to 116 mostly low-income retirees, into 90 upmarket units.

In a landmark decision, the court rejected the plan mainly on the grounds of its adverse social impact on residents.

“It’s a victory for the common people,” said Ms Watts, who led the fight. “It’s a victory for grey power.” Now that the deadline for the developer’s appeal has passed, Ms Watts and her friends have started to relax for the first time in two years.

About 68 000 Australians live in residential parks but numbers are falling as developers build apartments and retirement villages in place of humble vans and “manufactured homes”.

Almost 3000 long-term sites in NSW have been lost or ear-marked for closure in recent years. Local councils have been reluctant to take on developers in expensive court fights, when woolly notions such as “social impact” were untested.

The Tingari Village South park at Terrigal looked like going the way of others until MS Watts rallied the residents, and the Gosford City Council decided to fight in the court.

Sitting on the verandah of her two-bedroom home, as a water dragon sunned itself near her garden of roses, potted orchids and gardenias, Nancy Little, 67, said: “It’s a magic lifestyle, it really is.” Gums rings the park, and palms lend it a holiday air.

Some urban caravan parks are little more than last resort housing for sole parents, separated men, and transient workers. But the retirees here thought they had found nirvana, and banished loneliness.

The social impact statement by Dr Rigmor Berg, for Gosford Council, said two-thirds of Tingari’s residents were over 60, and most were widowed.

The could not afford to live in fancier retirement villages.

The liked the “companionship in the friendly, longstanding community”.

Mr Baker’s plan to build 13 blocks of two-storey retirement units, with about $500 000 each, was regarded as a threat. Even though he said about half the residents could use their homes, worth $30 000 to $130 000, as a deposit, move into a flat, and pay him rent, most were opposed. Where would the other’s live? “We couldn’t put our homes on our back and find another park, they’re all under threat,” Ms Little said.

The Land and Environment Court’s Commissioner Tim Moore was persuaded the development would significantly change the “interactive nature” of “Tingari society” and inhibit the “provision of mutual social support”.

Pauline Wright, solicitor for the council, said the decision broke new ground and should mean other would-be developers of parks would “think twice”.

Mr Baker did not want to comment.
########

Last edited:

KungPow

HSC
Film: For richer or poorer

Oh and my teacher said Heart of Darkness would be a bad text to use because it's too old. I don't really care since I'm not using it.

HSC
N/A
KungPow said:
Film: For richer or poorer

Oh and my teacher said Heart of Darkness would be a bad text to use because it's too old. I don't really care since I'm not using it.
Funny, my teacher actually suggested it as a related text.

A lot of people restrict themselves to contemporary texts, but you know I think it's good but the notion of Retreat from the Global is just as relevant now as it was in Colonial times.

But whatever rocks your boat... heaps of people at my school used Heart of Darkness and were absolutely fine. I imagine some still are for the HSC.

Atotoi

Beetroot Strudel Anyone??
HSC
*yawn*

Less than 36 hours now people, time to get cracking...
Good luck to everybody and keep analysing those texts for "RFTG"

flip_flop

can't think straight.
HSC
yes, good luck to everyone!!

just think about it, after tommorow, no more heaney... no more hulme... no more castle... no more fukuyama... and no more using the words "global and local" in an essay for a decent time!!!

but until then - it'll be non-stop thinking about them. (mm.. that was bad use of english for an extension level student..)

good luck again, and study hard.

Emily.

Pro-VSU
HSC
oh i just wanna cry....im so gonna fail.....i left it until the last minute to analyse one of my related texts: erin brockovich and now im having a bit of trouble finding stuff to come up with. oh well, it may flow in the exam. tends to do that sometimes..... :(

Tredanse

HSC
twisted_emily said:
oh i just wanna cry....im so gonna fail.....i left it until the last minute to analyse one of my related texts: erin brockovich and now im having a bit of trouble finding stuff to come up with. oh well, it may flow in the exam. tends to do that sometimes..... :(
Don't cry, hon. Don't stress. So far the B.O.S has been very kind on us this year. I have... just this vibe.. that tomorrow's paper will be fair.

If you're good enough, and I have no reason to think you're not, you'll do well by just analysing the related text you know. Forget the other if you can't think of anything.

The ideal ratio is 80% prescribed and 20% own text. And if you can't do one of your two, you're still looking at a score out of 90% if they want more than one related. They may only want one!

Relax. Get a good night's sleep. You'll be fine. =}

Emily.

Pro-VSU
HSC
even tho they only want 2 prescribed, can i do the three that weve done? maybe instead of 1 related? or do five texts?

Tredanse

HSC
twisted_emily said:
even tho they only want 2 prescribed, can i do the three that weve done? maybe instead of 1 related? or do five texts?
It's always said "at least two", so three would be fantastic. Remember they're the most important thing, and if you do three prescribed and one related you've got a killer essay =}

Emily.

Pro-VSU
HSC
woohoo....shame i dont know much about any of my texts hey....woulda been helpful if my teacher had actually turned up to class, or id turned up in the last week when he bothered to make an effort. oh well, im not stressed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)